This years J.S. Draft

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":380ql1sz said:
I just cannot shake the feeling that cutting Justin Britt is going to end up being one of those Russell Okung moves that fans regret supporting because they either aren't paying attention to OL play or don't know how to judge it.
Certainly possible and I'm not at all against re-signing him IF he takes a cut.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Largent80":2xo9ptxa said:
hawksfansinceday1":2xo9ptxa said:
Like L80 I'm totally in favor of a C in round 1 and a G in round 2. Guessing they'll reach for an EDGE who barely plays in year 1 with that first rounder. So badly want to be wrong..............

I think Ruiz or Cush can be had in the second. If Delpit somehow slips to #27 and JS hangs on to it, I sprint to the podium.
Ditto, that guy can play. He'll be gone by #20 imo. I'm no draftnik but every time I watched LSU he leaped off the screen.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
chris98251":3t8hbb5z said:
Mad Dog":3t8hbb5z said:
Center and OG as first two picks?

Are you guys nuts? Those are pretty low impact positions for that draft value. You can get most decent college tackles to play guard. You can get Pocic to play centre.

OT/DE without question are the teams biggest needs. We have Pocic, Jones, Haynes and probably Fluker for guards/center even if Britt is cut. Brown is getting older and there's a good chance we lose Ifedi and possibly Fant. OT is a big need.

DE is also a big need especially if we don't sign Clowney. Ansah can't be trusted. Jefferson may leave in FA. Green and Griffin are more situational spare parts than legitimate starters. DE is a huge need.

After that TE is high up followed by cornerback. Only then do you get to things like guards, running backs and receivers.

Our top 5 picks better be DE, OT, CB, TE, DT in some order. Bottom five can be OG, WR, LB, RB, anything else.

Yeah you say that till you have a Chris Spencer out there or someone that dribbles long snaps to Wilson or shoots them over his head. Some of us are fans of the team and not just Fantasy guys and remember pre Unger and post Unger and what it took to finally settle on Britt.

Low impact? The center position is so critical the guy occupying it ought to be included as a skill player. He is the QB of the O Line. Losing Unger in favor of Graham is when our demise began. That wasn't because Graham was bad, it was because Unger was that good at that critical position.
That's why I support resigning Britt AND drafting the best center available to us. Guards are great for the inside running game and we need one, at least, but we also need another tackle even more than a second guard. O Line has to be a focus of this draft, just as D Line needs to be a focus in FA.
Our lines have to be our top priority. Then worry about the ornaments for the tree.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I do not think we need to draft a guard high. I am happy with Jamarco Jones and Phil Haynes as the starters. I do not think Jones can be a starting RT though, so we need to think about who will play here....We need to think about replacing Duane Brown for the future...but I think he still has 1-2 years left. Joey Hunt needs to go. He is undersized. In a center rich draft I am all for drafting a good one early instead of reaching for a D-lineman again in a draft where there aren't too many.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I would like to see them draft Ruiz,sign Scherff, and cut Britt. Need to draft a CB, DT, and WR in the with one of our many 2nd/3rd round picks.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
This is probably the most important draft of JS and PC era. RW in his prime, young defense etc. Plus we have cap and picks....Unfortunately the D-Line class and TE class is not good, but we need OL, and for the first time in years there are many very good college OL.

Center is exactly that. The center of the line and it needs a strong smart player. They know this and I would be surprised , and disappointed if they don't draft one.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I know we have addressed safety in a number of ways over the last 3 years however, Hill and Thompson simply are not the level of safety needed for this defense.

I would LOVE for the Hawks to get Kyle Dugger. Been watching his tape and he is one BAMF and would provide ST value as well. Should be available around the 3rd round?

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":31d6jmaj said:
I know we have addressed safety in a number of ways over the last 3 years however, Hill and Thompson simply are not the level of safety needed for this defense.

I would LOVE for the Hawks to get Kyle Dugger. Been watching his tape and he is one BAMF and would provide ST value as well. Should be available around the 3rd round?

I seen his profile weeks ago and am sold on him, wasn't sure he would be invited to the combine being such a small school but he was, his measurables are going to vault him up the charts along with his size and speed. I am thinking second round if you want him due to our low draft position.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
chris98251":1t9o8921 said:
Largent80":1t9o8921 said:

I seen his profile weeks ago and am sold on him, wasn't sure he would be invited to the combine being such a small school but he was, his measurables are going to vault him up the charts along with his size and speed. I am thinking second round if you want him due to our low draft position.

Well, it depends on what they are thinking after F.A. but If they can move TT and LH that would open up spots. This guy is going to bang heads hard for a few years and I want that thump on the D.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Michael Shawn-Sugar's article over at The Athletic (paywalled) says the Hawks should focus on:

1) Cutting Britt, Dickson, Thompson, Wright and Fluker and renegotiating their contracts to create more cap space.
2) Re-sign Clowney
3) Keeping Ifedi
4) Keeping Reed (unless he wants $17mil/yr) or tag him
5) Get a FA TE like Oslen (Eifert, Toilolo) but don't overpay
6) Stick with your interior OL guys and draft for depth
7) Trade your 1st round pick for Stefon Diggs and draft for depth
8 Get a decent veteran edge rusher and draft early for depth

https://theathletic.com/1598151/202...tep-plan-for-a-successful-seahawks-offseason/

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2bjn6fl7 said:
Michael Shawn-Sugar's article over at The Athletic (paywalled) says the Hawks should focus on:

1) Cutting Britt, Dickson, Thompson, Wright and Fluker and renegotiating their contracts to create more cap space.
2) Re-sign Clowney
3) Keeping Ifedi

https://theathletic.com/1598151/202...tep-plan-for-a-successful-seahawks-offseason/

Man I disagree with almost ALL of those.

I don't know where to start except to say, keep Clowney, the rest is the worst scenario ever.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Given what we have in hand, and considering our glaring needs on both lines, I simply cannot go with prioritizing the TE position. I fully comprehend the value of a gangbuster TE for what is basically an RPO offense, but we have other far more urgent needs.
No line, no win.
The surprise element to our draft strategy (trading back in first round) has been somewhat effective, but this year I hope the surprise is for us to trade up instead of down and get a difference maker on the line of scrimmage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2idxbmi0 said:
SeaWolv":2idxbmi0 said:

2) Re-sign Clowney
3) Keeping Ifedi

Man I disagree with almost ALL of those.

I don't know where to start except to say, keep Clowney, the rest is the worst scenario ever.

We've definitely got some leverage to renegotiate with guys like Britt, KJ, Fluker and Thompson. Their value is far higher on the Hawks then it would be elsewhere, no one's giving Britt or Wright 10M a year, especially Britt coming off a major injury.

Give them both two year deals to relieve some cap. I'd love for us to draft a young stud at center, but too many needs on the defensive side of the ball, which means we need Britt and the continuity he brings on the line, ESPECIALLY if the plan is not to bring back Fluker, Iupati and Ifedi.

Can't have that much turnover on your O-line, just can't.

BASF

Reaction score
Appyhawk":24w7yrc4 said:
The surprise element to our draft strategy (trading back in first round) has been somewhat effective, but this year I hope the surprise is for us to trade up instead of down and get a difference maker on the line of scrimmage.

This is what I want more than anything. We have the resources to move up significantly. Snagging a Derrick Brown or Yetur Gross-Matos would upgrade our line.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
You CAN have turnover on the O-Line if you have underperforming players. OL recently coming out of college need to be coached up, however, this year there are a slew of very good college OL.

The Seahawks need to tap into that. Fluker BTW is signed through this year but more than likely that will be it for him. Draft a guard. It's a no brainer. Center as well.