This Years Playoffs....blah...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3c6a97vo said:
Sgt. Largent":3c6a97vo said:
FalconsFanNW":3c6a97vo said:
One thing I am confident in is Atlanta scoring 30+ and if they do I like their chances to win and think they will win, Atlanta and New England both had 11 turnovers for the season... best in NFL. I expect a clean close game.

You nailed it here.

Atlanta's offense is crazy rolling right now, so even though NE is playing defense well I don't think they can hold the Falcons to under 30, which IMO is what they need to do to win.

As Quinn has shown, he knows how to scheme against spread finesse offenses. Atlanta's defense won't look quite as nasty as they have at home the past two weeks, but they should be effective enough to slow down the Pat's offense.

So as of now I see this as a close 31-27 type of game. Obviously something crazy like turnovers or a special teams runback changes that. But IMO this is a good matchup for Atlanta.

Other side of the ball is where I am intrigued. Have to figure the Pats will double Julio like they did Brown. Where does that leave Atlanta?

Unlike Pittsburgh though, the Falcons have a lot of talent on offense............as evident by Ryan and the Falcons breaking a record this year by having the most TD's by different runners and receivers. Something like 11?

So yeah the Pat's are brilliant at taking away your best player, but the Falcons are stacked at RB, receiver and TE.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ladshsb said:
This has to be a much better defense than the 5 that they played when he went under 60, no? Cardinals? Panthers? Broncos? Packers? Saints?

Better in points allowed? Sure. The only defense even comparable is Denver at #4.

But at the same time is New England's defensive ratings inflated by the murderer's row of QBs they faced this season?

Ryan Fitzpatrick x2 Tyrod Taylor x2 Tannehill/Moore x2 Brock Osweiler x2 Trevor Siemian Andy Dalton Joe Flacco Bryce Petty Jared Goff Colin Kaepernick Carson Palmer

The best QB the Pats faced this season was Russell Wilson... and that was a loss. Yesterday's game vs Ben was the first decent QB they've faced since the Seattle game.

So yeah... color me not all that impressed by the Pats and their #1 scoring defense. All you have to do is look at that list of QBs to know that the Pats haven't faced an offense anywhere near to what the Falcons are bringing to Houston.

Sgt. Largent":1ladshsb said:
Unlike Pittsburgh though, the Falcons have a lot of talent on offense............as evident by Ryan and the Falcons breaking a record this year by having the most TD's by different runners and receivers. Something like 11?

So yeah the Pat's are brilliant at taking away your best player, but the Falcons are stacked at RB, receiver and TE.

It was a TD pass to 13 different receivers... NFL record. That's why I'm not all that concerned if the Pats take away Julio. We have too many weapons.

#1 in scoring
#3 in passing
#5 in rushing

I know you Seattle fans heard all this from Denver fans in XLVIII... but this Patriots D isn't the 2013 Seahawks. I am really confident that we score 30+ and bring home the Lombardi.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":2ytedemn said:
Uncle Si":2ytedemn said:
This has to be a much better defense than the 5 that they played when he went under 60, no? Cardinals? Panthers? Broncos? Packers? Saints?

Better in points allowed? Sure. The only defense even comparable is Denver at #4.

But at the same time is New England's defensive ratings inflated by the murderer's row of QBs they faced this season?

By that logic aren't the Falcons offensive numbers inflated because of the crap defenses they faced?

In terms of scoring defense the Falcons played 4 teams in the top 12: Seattle, Denver, KC and Philly. Went 1-3. 6 games against teams in the bottom 10 by comparison. Guess the record?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
What will be the big story for the next two weeks? Might be a pretty boring lead up to the SB. It almost always is. But we already know the Pats will keep things quiet and professional, as Bellicheck wants it. Falcons don't seem to be the type of team to talk trash. Curious to see how the media spins the stories for the next couple weeks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":tf09uvy1 said:
What will be the big story for the next two weeks? Might be a pretty boring lead up to the SB. It almost always is. But we already know the Pats will keep things quiet and professional, as Bellicheck wants it. Falcons don't seem to be the type of team to talk trash. Curious to see how the media spins the stories for the next couple weeks.

It's the Patriot's, so the big stories will be 90% Patriot related about

- Goodell vs Brady
- Belichick's legacy
- Brady's legacy
- Is Brady the best QB in history
- Is Belichick the best coach in history
- oh yeah, there's another team playing

Which I'm sure Quinn is fine with, let all the hype be on the Patriots, while he and Shanahan gameplan the hell out of this SB.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":zk97lknz said:
By that logic aren't the Falcons offensive numbers inflated because of the crap defenses they faced?

In terms of scoring defense the Falcons played 4 teams in the top 12: Seattle, Denver, KC and Philly. Went 1-3. 6 games against teams in the bottom 10 by comparison. Guess the record?

I guess they're inflated?... and they still averaged what? 34 a game? 40 in the last 6 weeks or so?

You're right... they lost in Seattle by 2... beat Denver in Denver by 7... lost to KC by 1 at home, and lost in Philly by 9.

The Philly game was their worst game of the year. It was followed by the bye week and then 6 games in which not only the offense played better... but so did the defense.... going from something like 27 PPG allowed to just under 20 while giving up less yards and getting more turnovers. They went 5-1 after the bye... with the only loss being the 29-28 KC game that they gave away with the pick 2. Ryan is probably the first guy in NFL history to throw a game winning TD and a game losing pick 2 on consecutive plays. Throw in the 2 playoff games and they are 7-1 since losing to the Eagles and going on their bye week. The Falcons have played the last half of the season much better than the first... and that's a pretty common theme to teams making solid playoff runs.

I know you Seattle fans are big on defense winning championships and I can totally respect and agree with that... but at the same time my point remains the same... these Pats are not a shutdown 2013 Seahawks type defense. The Pats were 8th in yards allowed at 5223... 2013 Seahawks allowed 4378.

I guess we'll find out 2 weeks how right or wrong I am. I respect the Pats and what they've done... and still think Atlanta has what it will take to bring home the Lombardi.

There is no pressure on Atlanta... all the pressure is on Brady and Belichick.

Sgt. Largent":zk97lknz said:
Which I'm sure Quinn is fine with, let all the hype be on the Patriots, while he and Shanahan gameplan the hell out of this SB.

Exactly this.

Josea16

Reaction score
I have no clue why anyone thinks New England isn't fully capable of scoring 30-40 points themselves? They do it all the time and Atlanta's defense isn't the 2013 Seahawk defense or even near it. The game will likely be along the lines of 35-31 which both teams can achieve without a sweat.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2e47v7ga said:
FalconsFanNW":2e47v7ga said:
You're right...

I knew you'd get there...

:mrgreen:

Josea16":2e47v7ga said:
I have no clue why anyone thinks New England isn't fully capable of scoring 30-40 points themselves? They do it all the time and Atlanta's defense isn't the 2013 Seahawk defense or even near it. The game will likely be along the lines of 35-31 which both teams can achieve without a sweat.

For the first time ever... we agree.

Of course I thought the same thing about the GB game. Either way though... if Atlanta pressures Brady like they did Rodgers we'll be fine.

If they give him all day like the Steelers did it will be a long day. Somehow I think Quinn will devise a solid gameplan to prevent that though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Josea16":1qzvfdgk said:

I don't think that's the game New England wants to play though.

Josea16

Reaction score
Uncle Si":teu4leuh said:
Josea16":teu4leuh said:

Probably not but New England will play any style that is needed and be totally comfortable doing so. This is the Superbowl and if the hype affects any team it will be Atlanta.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":pe3bpfmt said:
Josea16":pe3bpfmt said:

I'd agree.

Josea16":pe3bpfmt said:
Uncle Si":pe3bpfmt said:
Probably not but New England will play any style that is needed and be totally comfortable doing so. This is the Superbowl and if the hype affects any team it will be Atlanta.

What hype is there surrounding the Falcons? Our first Super Bowl in 18 years? Dan Quinn's 3rd Super Bowl in 4 years?

The pressure is on Brady and Belichick to bring home #5.

Atlanta can go in feeling confident and relaxed. It is the Super Bowl though... LOL

Josea16

Reaction score
They won't be affected no matter how much you protest. Historically first time participants usually are the one's to be affected. It isn't like New England is some kind of lock or huge favorite so they have no reason to be overconfident. It's more likely neither team will be affected and both just play good football. At least hopefully.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Lets hope so.

They both tied for #1 in the league in turnovers... 11 in 16 games. I'm expecting a clean game with a close score.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The point about the Pats D not facing any good QBs during the regular season is very valid. They do, however, appear to be improving. Logan Ryan got absolutely torched when the Seahawks traveled to Foxboro, but played better down the stretch and was excellent against the Steelers. Malcolm Butler's been consistently great all year. DMac is a fantastic safety. Pittsburgh's OL was the best run-blocking unit left in the playoffs and Alan Branch and crew stifled the Steelers' run game. The linebackers Van Noy and McClellin are improving, and Hightower is a stud. I doubt they'll get much of a pass rush going, though.

Then again, the Pats OL is also a much better unit than last year. Marcus Cannon should stonewall Beasley. Falcons play a pure zone defense on 80% of their plays, and Tommy boy is an expert at slicing through that kind of coverage. Remember that the falcons defense is very young and fast, yet inexperienced. BB, TB, and JMac will scheme around that. It'll be a fantastic matchup all-around. I hope the Pats win and I think they will, but I could see the Falcons wrecking that defense too if their offense gets in rhythm.

chris98251

Reaction score
Just remember the Broncos were favored over us as well out of the gate, it's very early yet and no Gronk safety net for Brady. That in itself is 7 to 14 points off the board against a good defense.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":8ei0njsj said:
Just remember the Broncos were favored over us as well out of the gate, it's very early yet and no Gronk safety net for Brady. That in itself is 7 to 14 points off the board against a good defense.
Seems Brady adjusted quite well as usual. I wotuldn't be surprised if New England just guts them with the run like they did with Denver when nobody expected it. Atlanta better score at LEAST 30 because New England will on that defense easily. It's going to be a shootout and New England's secondary is smart, experienced and healthy. Operative word being.....healthy. Seriously whenever New England and B&B are involved with two weeks preperation time no team should think "we got this". Peyton or Rodgers isn't Brady like it or not. And Matt Ryan isn't even in the same univverse with those three this season nonwithstanding.

chris98251

Reaction score
Josea16":awn2z9hy said:
chris98251":awn2z9hy said:
Seems Brady adjusted quite well as usual. I wotuldn't be surprised if New England just guts them with the run like they did with Denver when nobody expected it. Atlanta better score at LEAST 30 because New England will on that defense easily. It's going to be a shootout and New England's secondary is smart, experienced and healthy. Operative word being.....healthy.

Quinn know how to defend New England, they have a solid interior line, if not for the questionable injuries to our pass rush Brady would have lost by 20 in our Super Bowl.

Quinn knows knock the crap out of the mini receivers and Brady has no targets due to heads on a swivel syndrome.

So unless Jones gets cheap shotted and their pass rushers get cheap shotted I expect Brady to be under pressure all day as his targets are taken away with physical play by Atlanta.

I also expect the receivers to light up New England if they try to double Jones.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":1frqg8b9 said:
Josea16":1frqg8b9 said:
chris98251":1frqg8b9 said:
Seems Brady adjusted quite well as usual. I wotuldn't be surprised if New England just guts them with the run like they did with Denver when nobody expected it. Atlanta better score at LEAST 30 because New England will on that defense easily. It's going to be a shootout and New England's secondary is smart, experienced and healthy. Operative word being.....healthy.

Quinn know how to defend New England, they have a solid interior line, if not for the questionable injuries to our pass rush Brady would have lost by 20 in our Super Bowl.

Quinn knows knock the crap out of the mini receivers and Brady has no targets due to heads on a swivel syndrome.

So unless Jones gets cheap shotted and their pass rushers get cheap shotted I expect Brady to be under pressure all day as his targets are taken away with physical play by Atlanta.

I also expect the receivers to light up New England if they try to double Jones.
Keep drinking that koolaid brother. I know everyone loves Quinn around here but yeah. Just keep disrespecting and keep ignoring the real score. Again I have no dog in this hunt. I consider Quinn an enemy that's quickly rising to hate like New England and their braintrust. But you disrespect that team and braintrust at your peril all you like. Don't be mad because I'm ahead of the curve and realize both Atlanta and Dallas are poised to bury us for the next five years unless we change things up a bit. Also realize top to bottom the AFC is far stronger then the NFC right now.

Atlanta isn't going to embarrass New England, this isn't 1985 and Atlanta aern't the Bears and New England has just as good of if not a better defense then Atlanta and have a far better quarterback then Tony Eason. If both teams show up (Atlanta) it should be a classic game.

This game is a result of every actual AFC and NFC contender beyond Atlanta, Dallas and New England being injured at critical positions....Tannehill, Carr, Green Bay, Seattle......Bueller? Bueller...anyone? But hey that's the NFL right? I added Dallas in just see if somebody cares. That team was such pretender that it couldn't beat a JV version of Green Bay at home. Seriously now?