Thoughts after rewatching Dallas preseason game - 1st half

kearly

Reaction score
Jordan Hill started the opening defensive series at 1 tech, and in the process looked like a guy that probably should never play 1 tech ever again. There was one play where he got his ass kicked so badly that he was 15 yards downfield on a 5 yard run by Elliot to the opposite side… and it didn’t require a double team either. Then shortly after that, Hill pushed the center back into the QB, which helped force an incompletion and a punt. It’s weird that Hill can collapse a pocket with his power, but get blown away at times in the run game.

It was Dallas’ 2nd drive where Elliot went off. His first three big runs went right, his 4th went left.

The first one was a case of Frank Clark being caught with his head down and Elliot reading the situation and bouncing the run outside with his speed.

The Cowboys soon after ran the same run again, and while Clark aggressively took away the sideline despite a double team, Bennett took a slightly over-aggressive angle into the backfield and Elliot read the play for a cutback inside and a gain of 9. Had Alfred Morris been carrying that ball, Bennett would have had him in the backfield for a loss. I think this was also the play where Kam and Elliot met for the first time.

The third and fourth big runs were simply a case of Dallas lining up a few extra big bodies and ramming it down Seattle’s throat. Seattle had 8 in the box, and it wasn’t mattering. No real mistakes by Seattle on these plays, the Cowboys simply lined up and kicked butt. It was a bit like watching the 2011-2013 49ers rush attack, but better.

Prescott also had a 9 yard keeper after Cliff Avril sold out on the RB on a read option.

Shortly after Dallas’ TD drive, both Elliot and Tyron Smith left the game. Chaz Green took over at LT and Alfred Morris at RB. Prescott and the rest of the OL stayed in the game for the rest of the 1st half. But boy, what a difference it made when Elliot and Smith were out.

Seattle simply didn’t have to respect the run game nearly as much, and started dialing up blitzes. Prescott eventually took a sack and was pressured fairly frequently, despite having 4/5 of his starting OL in the game. The same line that looked so invincible in the 1st quarter looked average in the 2nd quarter. It’s no slam on Morris, but he’s not the kind of RB who can take over a game.

Frank Clark struggled pretty badly until he drew Chaz Green as his regular matchup. Clark’s outside-in move can be painfully slow, but Clark’s motor was enough to give Green some major fits and also lead to some fairly blatant holds (that went uncalled) in the run game. Clark also contributed on Prescott’s lone 1st half sack.

Clark’s best looking play by far came on an inside stunt where he split the gap between the center and guard and muscled his way into the backfield almost instantly, forcing Prescott to get rid of the ball immediately.

Overall pretty much everyone on the defense looked about the way you would expect, but when Tyron Smith and Ezekiel Elliot were on the field, Dallas did pretty much whatever they wanted to our D, whether it was run or pass. Personally, I hope this is the last time we see Dallas’ offense for a long time. Even with Romo and Dez out, Dallas was clearly outplaying Seattle until they additionally pulled Elliot and Smith. That offense when fully healthy is going to be extremely hard to deal with.

Prescott looked better on a second viewing. He just barely missed on some deep attempts that would have really helped his YPA, including a desperation breakup from Kelcie McCray that saved a sure TD on a perfect deep ball. There should be no shame in allowing a good performance from him. He’s really good.

My favorite defensive play of the first half was when Sherman put Prescott on his ass at the sideline. Prescott is a slightly bigger man than Sherman is, but you wouldn’t know it from the hit Sherm laid on him.

When Seattle had the ball, it was such an unbelievable contrast to when Dallas had the ball.

For starters, Seattle’s D-line looks relatively slight and skinny with guys like Avril, Bennett, and Clark. Dallas’ DL looks like two Red Bryants flanked by two Tony McDaniels. Dallas has a BIG DL. And they played big in the run game during the first half, while doing little to test Seattle’s pass pro.

Another big difference is that even with a few backups and rookies playing, the Dallas offense looked so sharp. They made very few mistakes, and when they did, Prescott seemed to bail them out of it. By contrast, Seattle’s offense was constantly shooting themselves in the foot. Penalties, low snaps from Britt, fumbles, errant passes, and Darrell Bevell calling plays like Percy Harvin was still on the team.

I’m not one to harp on playcalling like some do after every game, but after like 5 or 6 failed bubble screens to actual good receivers like Baldwin, they threw to Tukuafu out in the flat. Because if Doug Baldwin can’t make a yard on these calls, maybe a 300 pound DT convert can. Nearly half of Seattle’s plays in the first half came from Bevell’s second playbook, the worn out looking one with the words “They’ll never see it coming” scribbled on the side of it. Even the TD play had a feel of unnecessary trickery to it, and it worked because Wilson made a perfect throw and Richardson made an incredible catch, not because the defense was fooled.

Yeah I know it’s preseason and all, but Bad Darrell Bevell was back and badder than ever in the first half of this game. These weren’t the calls Bevell was making in the second half of last year when Wilson was roasting everybody.

The good news is that when Bevell actually called vertical passing plays, Wilson was ripping it. He put one right on Luke Willson, then later took advantage of Dallas giving Doug Baldwin a 15 yard cushion. Not smart, Dallas. When Wilson did have to scramble and look for help, he found Tyler Lockett by the sideline for 30 yards. Wilson would have an even more dramatic scramble in the 2nd half, and would also find Lockett in that situation, the second time for a TD.

Wilson was shaky early with some bad ball placement to Baldwin and C-Mike on a couple of early throws. Wilson eventually settled down and closed out the 1st half nicely.

Seattle’s OL can’t dictate the way that Dallas’ can, but they do a pretty good job of creating havoc and chaos in the running game.

After rewatching, the major reason Dallas was able to contain Seattle’s run game in the 1st half was because they only had to defend five runs, and on those runs they did an exceptional job of avoiding broken tackles. There were a few plays that could have been big gainers with just one broken tackle, but Dallas got the runners down. It was a bit frustrating at times to see the interior open a nice hole, see Sowell charge down and take out the inside linebacker, and see C-Mike explode through the hole perfectly, only to have the outside linebacker make a very tough tackle to limit the damage to three yards, for a play that could have easily been 20 or 30.

Obviously, Seattle’s rush attack fared much better in the second half.

Glowinsky, Britt, and Ifedi performed roughly about the same as they did in week 2. Glowinsky had fewer dominant blocks than last week but did a nice job of turning his assignment out of the run gap. He’s really good at doing that. Ifedi seemed a bit less raw than last week, though at times DL were able to disengage from him. He looks competent with a ton of room for improvement. He’s pretty much been what a realist would have hoped for him to be so far. Britt had a couple of bad snaps that led to two wasted plays, but otherwise had a good game.

Gilliam seemed competent, though rarely stood out. Sowell gave up the edge at times to some big and slow types… he’ll do "okay" against slower pass rushers like in this game, but he is going to get absolutely destroyed against the quicker ones. If the Dolphins are smart, they'll put Cameron Wake over Sowell as much as they possible can. Hopefully our TEs are ready for a long day of chip blocking in the season opener.

Overall, there was a pretty big difference watching Dallas' OL and Seattle's. Seattle's OL has improved massively towards competency, but there is another massive step forward to compare with a line like Dallas'. It was interesting though to see how much Dallas' O-line performance suffered when only Tyron Smith and Elliot left the game. Their backup LT is roughly on par with Sowell for us. It makes me wonder how good our OL could be if the Seahawks somehow acquired an elite left tackle to go with a healthy Thomas Rawls at some point in the future.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I'm glad they're not showing the real playbook in preseason. Did they run any read option plays? I had to listen to it without tv. They might move away from the running Wilson plays if the ol can actually block.

dogorama

Reaction score
kearly":w909hh9t said:
Jordan Hill started the opening defensive series at 1 tech, and in the process looked like a guy that probably should never play 1 tech ever again. There was one play where he got his ass kicked so badly that he was 15 yards downfield on a 5 yard run by Elliot to the opposite side… and it didn’t require a double team either. Then shortly after that, Hill pushed the center back into the QB, which helped force an incompletion and a punt. It’s weird that Hill can collapse a pocket with his power, but get blown away at times in the run game.

It was Dallas’ 2nd drive where Elliot went off. His first three big runs went right, his 4th went left.

The first one was a case of Frank Clark being caught with his head down and Elliot reading the situation and bouncing the run outside with his speed.

The Cowboys soon after ran the same run again, and while Clark aggressively took away the sideline despite a double team, Bennett took a slightly over-aggressive angle into the backfield and Elliot read the play for a cutback inside and a gain of 9. Had Alfred Morris been carrying that ball, Bennett would have had him in the backfield for a loss. I think this was also the play where Kam and Elliot met for the first time.

The third and fourth big runs were simply a case of Dallas lining up a few extra big bodies and ramming it down Seattle’s throat. Seattle had 8 in the box, and it wasn’t mattering. No real mistakes by Seattle on these plays, the Cowboys simply lined up and kicked butt. It was a bit like watching the 2011-2013 49ers rush attack, but better.

Prescott also had a 9 yard keeper after Cliff Avril sold out on the RB on a read option.

Shortly after Dallas’ TD drive, both Elliot and Tyron Smith left the game. Chaz Green took over at LT and Alfred Morris at RB. Prescott and the rest of the OL stayed in the game for the rest of the 1st half. But boy, what a difference it made when Elliot and Smith were out.

Seattle simply didn’t have to respect the run game nearly as much, and started dialing up blitzes. Prescott eventually took a sack and was pressured fairly frequently, despite having 4/5 of his starting OL in the game. The same line that looked so invincible in the 1st quarter looked average in the 2nd quarter. It’s no slam on Morris, but he’s not the kind of RB who can take over a game.

Frank Clark struggled pretty badly until he drew Chaz Green as his regular matchup. Clark’s outside-in move can be painfully slow, but Clark’s motor was enough to give Green some major fits and also lead to some fairly blatant holds (that went uncalled) in the run game. Clark also contributed on Prescott’s lone 1st half sack.

Clark’s best looking play by far came on an inside stunt where he split the gap between the center and guard and muscled his way into the backfield almost instantly, forcing Prescott to get rid of the ball immediately.

Overall pretty much everyone on the defense looked about the way you would expect, but when Tyron Smith and Ezekiel Elliot were on the field, Dallas did pretty much whatever they wanted to our D, whether it was run or pass. Personally, I hope this is the last time we see Dallas’ offense for a long time. Even with Romo and Dez out, Dallas was clearly outplaying Seattle until they additionally pulled Elliot and Smith. That offense when fully healthy is going to be extremely hard to deal with.

Prescott looked better on a second viewing. He just barely missed on some deep attempts that would have really helped his YPA, including a desperation breakup from Kelcie McCray that saved a sure TD on a perfect deep ball. There should be no shame in allowing a good performance from him. He’s really good.

My favorite defensive play of the first half was when Sherman put Prescott on his ass at the sideline. Prescott is a slightly bigger man than Sherman is, but you wouldn’t know it from the hit Sherm laid on him.

When Seattle had the ball, it was such an unbelievable contrast to when Dallas had the ball.

For starters, Seattle’s D-line looks relatively slight and skinny with guys like Avril, Bennett, and Clark. Dallas’ DL looks like two Red Bryants flanked by two Tony McDaniels. Dallas has a BIG DL. And they played big in the run game during the first half, while doing little to test Seattle’s pass pro.

Another big difference is that even with a few backups and rookies playing, the Dallas offense looked so sharp. They made very few mistakes, and when they did, Prescott seemed to bail them out of it. By contrast, Seattle’s offense was constantly shooting themselves in the foot. Penalties, low snaps from Britt, fumbles, errant passes, and Darrell Bevell calling plays like Percy Harvin was still on the team.

I’m not one to harp on playcalling like some do after every game, but after like 5 or 6 failed bubble screens to actual good receivers like Baldwin, they threw to Tukuafu out in the flat. Because if Doug Baldwin can’t make a yard on these calls, maybe a 300 pound DT convert can. Nearly half of Seattle’s plays in the first half came from Bevell’s second playbook, the worn out looking one with the words “They’ll never see it coming” scribbled on the side of it. Even the TD play had a feel of unnecessary trickery to it, and it worked because Wilson made a perfect throw and Richardson made an incredible catch, not because the defense was fooled.

Yeah I know it’s preseason and all, but Bad Darrell Bevell was back and badder than ever in the first half of this game. These weren’t the calls Bevell was making in the second half of last year when Wilson was roasting everybody.

The good news is that when Bevell actually called horizontal passing plays, Wilson was ripping it. He put one right on Luke Willson, then later took advantage of Dallas giving Doug Baldwin a 15 yard cushion. Not smart, Dallas. When Wilson did have to scramble and look for help, he found Tyler Lockett by the sideline for 30 yards. Wilson would have an even more dramatic scramble in the 2nd half, and would also find Lockett in that situation, the second time for a TD.

Wilson was shaky early with some bad ball placement to Baldwin and C-Mike on a couple of early throws. Wilson eventually settled down and closed out the 1st half nicely.

Seattle’s OL can’t dictate the way that Dallas’ can, but they do a pretty good job of creating havoc and chaos in the running game.

After rewatching, the major reason Dallas was able to contain Seattle’s run game in the 1st half was because they only had to defend five runs, and on those runs they did an exceptional job of avoiding broken tackles. There were a few plays that could have been big gainers with just one broken tackle, but Dallas got the runners down. It was a bit frustrating at times to see the interior open a nice hole, see Sowell charge down and take out the inside linebacker, and see C-Mike explode through the hole perfectly, only to have the outside linebacker make a very tough tackle to limit the damage to three yards, for a play that could have easily been 20 or 30.

Obviously, Seattle’s rush attack fared much better in the second half.

Glowinsky, Britt, and Ifedi performed roughly about the same as they did in week 2. Glowinsky had fewer dominant blocks than last week but did a nice job of turning his assignment out of the run gap. He’s really good at doing that. Ifedi seemed a bit less raw than last week, though at times DL were able to disengage from him. He looks competent with a ton of room for improvement. He’s pretty much been what a realist would have hoped for him to be so far. Britt had a couple of bad snaps that led to two wasted plays, but otherwise had a good game.

Gilliam seemed competent, though rarely stood out. Sowell gave up the edge at times to some big and slow types… he’ll do "okay" against slower pass rushers like in this game, but he is going to get absolutely destroyed against the quicker ones. If the Dolphins are smart, they'll put Cameron Wake over Sowell as much as they possible can. Hopefully our TEs are ready for a long day of chip blocking in the season opener.

Overall, there was a pretty big difference watching Dallas OL and Seattle's. Seattle's OL has improved massively towards competency, but there is another massive step forward to compare with a line like Dallas'. It was interesting though to see how much Dallas' O-line suffered when only Tyron Smith and Elliot left the game. Their backup LT is roughly on par with Sowell for us. It makes me wonder how good our OL could be if the team somehow acquired an elite left tackle to go with a healthy Thomas Rawls.

I'd give my left you-know-what for an elite left tackle. Our tackles scare me to death going into this season.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":27yt4eqr said:
Did they run any read option plays?

Seattle ran their normal offense and most of the runs were read option out of the shotgun as usual.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I think inside pressure bothers Russ way more than edge pressure.
Thanks for the write up Kearly.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I was hoping for a confirmation of what I saw. Thanks for the writeup. I watched the bubblescreens and shouted at the tv..shouted in chat....My cat got shouted to as well....which is why I am in IR now. LOL Again thanks.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score

But why would they be calling those plays in a meaningless pre-season game? Surely they whole point of this game is just to get some time on the field, get people ready for the real thing. If the #1's had scored zero points again I can't say I'd be overly fussed. Throwing bubble screens galore is probably just s symptom of the situation.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1uj5qk7v said:

But why would they be calling those plays in a meaningless pre-season game? Surely they whole point of this game is just to get some time on the field, get people ready for the real thing. If the #1's had scored zero points again I can't say I'd be overly fussed. Throwing bubble screens galore is probably just s symptom of the situation.

This was the tuneup game, it's the game where every team gives a little bit of a preview of how they are going to run things in the real games to come. Hopefully Seattle learns from this game, but given Bevell's long obsession with ineffective horizontal passing, I doubt it's a fluke.

I have nothing against horizontal passing plays in general, however they are plays that live and die by execution. Seattle has smaller WRs that often struggle with blocks. Our receivers are solid, but we lack a YAC monster to hide some warts when others fail to execute their blocks. I honestly can't remember Seattle ever being all that good on these kinds of plays, other than occasionally with Golden Tate. If the personnel changes and Seattle gets good at them, then it's fine.

Bevell has a history of stubbornly calling plays that his personnel aren't ideally equipped to execute. I thought Bevell had put that tendency behind him late last year, but this game has me worried that the old Darrell Bevell is back again.

Seafan

Reaction score
Did you mean vertical passes versus horizontal? Bevell is at his absolute worst when calling horizontal passes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
iigakusei":w1ng0chf said:
I think inside pressure bothers Russ way more than edge pressure.
Thanks for the write up Kearly.
Just like Drew Brees it's all about having a good center and guards Wilson can get away from edge pressure usually.

Tical21

Reaction score
Great job man. I have one disagreement. More screns. If we want to run them during the season, and we aren't executing in preseason, keep calling them until we start getting them right. This is the one time our starters are going to get time together to practice this stuff live. Let's work it out. I don't think they're going back-to-back like that in the regular season in short yardage.

What do you think of the ground Gilliam gives on his drops?

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":2bkujf70 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2bkujf70 said:

This was the tuneup game, it's the game where every team gives a little bit of a preview of how they are going to run things in the real games to come. Hopefully Seattle learns from this game, but given Bevell's long obsession with ineffective horizontal passing, I doubt it's a fluke.

I have nothing against horizontal passing plays in general, however they are plays that live and die by execution. Seattle has smaller WRs that often struggle with blocks. Our receivers are solid, but we lack a YAC monster to hide some warts when others fail to execute their blocks. I honestly can't remember Seattle ever being all that good on these kinds of plays, other than occasionally with Golden Tate. If the personnel changes and Seattle gets good at them, then it's fine.

Bevell has a history of stubbornly calling plays that his personnel aren't ideally equipped to execute. I thought Bevell had put that tendency behind him late last year, but this game has me worried that the old Darrell Bevell is back again.

How would you feel about some of those plays if Prosise is on the receiving end? I'm just not a big fan of Baldwin or Kearse being targeted there. Maybe Lockett...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":3djck0uf said:
kearly":3djck0uf said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3djck0uf said:

How would you feel about some of those plays if Prosise is on the receiving end? I'm just not a big fan of Baldwin or Kearse being targeted there. Maybe Lockett...
See... now you're on to something. Quit giving away just a possible aspect of what is really being worked on behind the scenes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":3d8csxce said:
kearly":3d8csxce said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3d8csxce said:

See... now you're on to something. Quit giving away just a possible aspect of what is really being worked on behind the scenes. Procise is Harvin but has the size to be a wingback in the NFL. With the bonus of no mental illness issues.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Seafan":heavkogi said:
Did you mean vertical passes versus horizontal? Bevell is at his absolute worst when calling horizontal passes.

Fixed, thanks.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Screens work given to a person who can get YAC, Golden Tate was great at that. So we need a guy who can work in space and hopefully CJ is that guy.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":120n3fyq said:
Great job man. I have one disagreement. More screns. If we want to run them during the season, and we aren't executing in preseason, keep calling them until we start getting them right. This is the one time our starters are going to get time together to practice this stuff live. Let's work it out. I don't think they're going back-to-back like that in the regular season in short yardage.

I hope that's all it is, but Bevell has called screen happy games many times in the past.

Tical21":120n3fyq said:
What do you think of the ground Gilliam gives on his drops?

It seemed to work out for him this week, but if he's being so cautious against big / slow DEs it makes you wonder what elite DEs will do to him. I know PFF has issues and I never take what they say as Gospel, but their grades on Gilliam last year were pretty bad, and it mostly backed up what I was seeing.

I was never on board with the Gilliam hype this offseason. He's fine as a backup, but his lack of core strength is pretty glaring at times. He feels like a Green Bay Packers type of OL. Webb feels like a more natural fit for Cable but I need to see more to be sure.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":9r0wl5hs said:
Nearly half of Seattle’s plays in the first half came from Bevell’s second playbook, the worn out looking one with the words “They’ll never see it coming” scribbled on the side of it.

That play has gotten us the Doug Baldwin 35-yard catch right before Kearse's game-winner in the 2014 NFCCG, and at least three losses in 2015 because we couldn't convert on more first down and close out the game. Drives me insane.

If Wilson weren't able to consistently bail out broken plays, I'm fairly sure Bevell would have been fired a while ago.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem with the bubble screen as we run it is the WR takes a few steps back and is stationary when he receives the ball, the defense is already running that direction and the WR blockers are also stationary most times, the defense has the momentum going for them and blow up the blocks and run straight thru to the WR. He has to dodge and make the first guy miss most times and the second guy, that rarely happens, if it does he then can get some speed going and make some yardage, until the rest of the defense who now has time to get there traps him on the sidelines.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hw9hwgg said:
kearly":2hw9hwgg said:
Nearly half of Seattle’s plays in the first half came from Bevell’s second playbook, the worn out looking one with the words “They’ll never see it coming” scribbled on the side of it.

That play has gotten us the Doug Baldwin 35-yard catch right before Kearse's game-winner in the 2014 NFCCG, and at least three losses in 2015 because we couldn't convert on more first down and close out the game. Drives me insane.

If Wilson weren't able to consistently bail out broken plays, I'm fairly sure Bevell would have been fired a while ago.
Agreed.