Thoughts on Joe Milton III

toffee

Reaction score
I just watched his combine and read up a bit on him too, these are my thoughts, but I would love to hear yours:
  1. He is big and tall
  2. He has a big arm but seems to throw mostly with his arms.
  3. He is too proud of his arm and may have imperfect mechanics in throwing.
  4. Can he make touch throws?
  5. He might have to hold a clipboard and learn from Geno for a year.
  6. Can our QB coach undo his current mechanics and footwork, and install new ones in one year?
  7. He is old, after a year of apprenticeship, he will be 26 yo.
  8. He played 5 years of college ball, but even with that big arm, he only started one season.
What do you think? gamble a 3rd rounder on him?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I just watched his combine and read up a bit on him too, these are my thoughts, but I would love to hear yours:
  1. He is big and tall
  2. He has a big arm but seems to throw mostly with his arms.
  3. He is too proud of his arm and may have imperfect mechanics in throwing.
  4. Can he make touch throws?
  5. He might have to hold a clipboard and learn from Geno for a year.
  6. Can our QB coach undo his current mechanics and footwork, and install new ones in one year?
  7. He is old, after a year of apprenticeship, he will be 26 yo.
  8. He played 5 years of college ball, but even with that big arm, he only started one season.
What do you think? gamble a 3rd rounder on him?
He would be a developmental project. But we know he can throw the ball 70 yards and do a back flip like Richardson.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
For our #81 pick, would you use it on him? Or, would you trade down and grab him in 4th?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I go back and forth on him. With some quality coaching he could be turned around

2 things I would be concerned about
1. While at Michigan he got quality coaching from Harbaugh and couldn’t make it
2. He has accuracy issues that is usually not fixed

i wouldn’t spend higher than a 5th rd pick if drafted

chris98251

Reaction score
Some guys that just use arm have issues learning touch, several guys in the past have had that problem and just could not change their delivery.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He is not quick and moves his entire body slowly to aim the ball. The thing about Richardson was how crazy quick he was at the size. Hate his footwork. He'd get picked constantly in the NFL.

I agree with the lack of touch, he's relatively accurate with his fastball but he seems to only throw the fastball.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If those coaches in the last six years couldn't convince him to reduce admiring his arm. I am not sure if he will ever place improvement of footwork and mechanics ahead of admiring his arm.

Chevy

Reaction score
I'd draft him with the intention of converting him to TE, as long has he was excited about the opportunity. Any push back from him, then maybe a priority rookie free agent target after the draft as a QB project.

Milton reminds me of former Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor. Pryor was 6'4" 240 lbs and ran a 4.3 40-yard time. Pryor was a more proven QB as a passer and runner than Milton. Pryor was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2011 supplemental draft. He bounced around to many teams as a QB and eventually transitioned to TE.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Richardson was a 1st round pick. this kid won't go before round 4. Huge difference.

Yeah I thought someone said he’s similar to Richardson which is why I said it. I’m intrigued by Milton. He’s a great gamble late and see if you can develop him for sure

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Guys like this are more who the Niners pick. They are likely to take a flier on Day 3 to replace Darnold, just as they did with Purdy and Sudfeld in 2022.

12forlife

Reaction score
Milton will never be a starting QB in the NFL. 25 yr old, with horrible mechanics & bad touch. But damn he has a rocket for an arm!

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Mixed feelings. He's a physical specimen which, who wouldn't want? But as others have mentioned, he does have issues with his mechanics. Given his age, i'm not sure if I would be willing to invest resources into a 2-3 year project (at minimum).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If the NFL ever changes the rules and allows players to punt with their arms, this guy will be first-ballot. The next Ray Guy.