Thoughts on Kevin Pierre Louis

OP
OP
Mr.Crayola

Mr.Crayola

Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments, very kind of you all. Totally spaced on KPL's special teams contributions! I think he is a stud covering punts and kick returns.

I disagree that he has been a disappointment. KPL was drafted at the end of the fourth round in a average 2014 draft. I think Seattle wanted a CB at his spot (either Pierre Desir or Keith McGill), but who knows. A key special teams member and serviceable backup is a decent return on investment for a fourth round pick. I was looking at players selected after KPL and the only standout I could find was Aaron Lynch (who had a faster 10 yard split than Bruce Irvin), and Zach Kerr. I am probably overlooking other good players, but those were the only ones I could find.

I struggle with evaluating someone's "desire" to tackle in the NFL. I think most want to and on special teams KPL seems to be capable of laying the wood. I wonder if he just needs a little more of a head start to get to his max power potential. Maybe he needs help with his footwork, I don't know enough about the nuances of football and the linebacker position in particular to be able to solve the problem, but I think we all see the lack of power. When I say power I am talking about his seeming inability (from my observations) to stop a RB consistently or tackle a TE alone.

I just keep asking myself if it would be better to have a guy we know can stop the run instead of a player that will stop some passes.

The always great and insightful Danny Kelly has written an article that has a little to do with what is being discussed. You can find it here https://theringer.com/the-era-of-positi ... .720th4eym

Thanks for the insights and discussion from everyone I really enjoyed it!

Fade

Reaction score
King Dog":3iaw5aqq said:
I remember right after we drafted him Schneider started to say who KPL reminded of him and then he's not going to go there. When pressed - he said Novorro Bowman. At 6'0 1/2 , 232 at the combine I can see the the physical similarities. KPL is much faster at a 4.51. Unfortunately, he plays nothing like Bowman. What a letdown so far.

FYI: "Combine all-star put on a show in Indianapolis -- ran in the low 4.5s, pumped 28 bench-press reps, posted a 39-inch vertical, recorded a 10-foot, 8-inch broad jump, finished the short shuttle in 4.02 seconds and ran a 6.92-second 3-cone drill." What a freak.
Nope.

it was Regional Scout Todd Brunner that compared him to Bowman in the post draft presser. I remember it vividly.
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2014/05/10/todd-brunner-northeast-area-scout-press-conference