Throw Jimmy the ball

cesame

Reaction score
Not throwing to Jimmy 1 on 1 just perplexes me

Wilson wasn't too shy about throwing to Tate 1 on 1, and he's like 5-10. Now he was good at those kind of catches, but so is Jimmy. Jimmy is a huge mismatch 1 on 1.

It's only 2 games, but these two need to get going, particularly Wilson. If Graham is 1 on 1 throw him the damn ball.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2015":10lvrsd8 said:
northseahawk":10lvrsd8 said:
The funny thing is, RW isnt shying from throwing into double courage or tightly guarded Luke Willson, Baldwin, kearse, and even Lockett. But he refuses to throw it to Jimmy who made a living catching balls tightly guarded.

I'm starting to get a feeling that Wilson may somehow not be wanting to throw it to jimmy purposely.

Carroll, Bevell, and Wilson have all made a point of saying they will not change the offense for Graham, after changing the offense was blamed for the failure to integrate Percy Harvin into the offense last season. So they now have Graham playing in-line, because he has the letters 'T' and 'E' next to his name, which is just dumb. Graham is a natural Split End in this offense.
If this is the case I think Carroll, Bevell and Wilson are idiots. You don't pay a playmaker such as Jimmy Graham what? 65 million dollars, and give up a first round pick just to ask him to stay inline and block -- or act as a very highly paid decoy. If they fail to find a way to integrate Jimmy Graham into the offense, then all three of them have failed at their jobs. I sure hope this is not the case.

They say "we won't change the offense because of one player", well... news flash, every player has strengths and weaknesses. If you don't adjust your play-calling style based on those strengths and weaknesses then you have no business being in the NFL.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Hopefully while watching the tape, they should figure this out and have it fixed. I still feel RW should try the 7 to 10 step drops before throwing, so he can better scout the field and see his WR's finishing routes.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1k9p897n said:
northseahawk":1k9p897n said:
The funny thing is, RW isnt shying from throwing into double courage or tightly guarded Luke Willson, Baldwin, kearse, and even Lockett. But he refuses to throw it to Jimmy who made a living catching balls tightly guarded.

I'm starting to get a feeling that Wilson may somehow not be wanting to throw it to jimmy purposely.

Carroll, Bevell, and Wilson have all made a point of saying they will not change the offense for Graham, after changing the offense was blamed for the failure to integrate Percy Harvin into the offense last season. So they now have Graham playing in-line, because he has the letters 'T' and 'E' next to his name, which is just dumb. Graham is a natural Split End in this offense.

I wish they would just line him up as a WR. Have Baldwin, Jimmy and Lockett out there

Laloosh

Reaction score
hawknation, mind capturing the one in the 3rd quarter just before the TD to Jackson?

Curious who that one's on. Wilson throws it well before Graham makes a cut/move. It's like he expects Graham to turn right away.

kf3339

Reaction score
I am afraid that Pete Carroll and Bevel are in Wilson's head too much about turning the ball over right now. They have smashed that mentality into his head so much that he is too timid to throw in tight windows.

What needs to happen is Wilson needs to tell both PC and Bevel to go away and run the offensive plays himself. I know some will think this is stupid, but it is what Favre did and worked really well. Since he is being paid elite money now they will not bench him, and Paul Allen is smart enough to back Wilson.

At least that is how I see it if we want to get anywhere with our offense going forward this year.

jake206

Reaction score
On face value, feels like Russell has problems trusting his WR. He's had this problem in the past of holding the ball waaay too long. I don't think its a vision thing, but more of a trust and throwing with anticipation to a spot. This offense has little to no timing routes. Graham is use to being at a spot and the ball being there, while Russell is waiting and waiting, for a specific look. There is a serious disconnect there.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Great thread with the visuals!!

I commend you on the Mike Williams comparison.

I don't know if I'm the only one that feels this way but when Jimmy Graham is covered he is also open.

6' 7" I think I'll take my chances with Graham.

I think Carrol and Bevell are crazy if they don't change their game plan and center it around Graham when you have a talent of his caliber. Like what is the point of even having him, yet making a big trade for him.

They keep saying they need a weapon for Wilson but Carroll and Bevell can't justify that if they refuse throw him the ball.

Graham would be my first read and maybe third read.

I'm mad for Graham. I feel his frustrations, every time Wilson throws the ball I'm watching and calling for Graham. Wilson is either too conservative himself or just doesn't believe Graham will get the ball. Just throw it to his catching radius and give him a shot! I do it in Madden all the time!! *just a joke*

But seriously, throw the Graham the ball otherwise what's the point in having him?!?!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Regarding the Mike Williams thing, I think the biggest difference is the guy throwing him the ball too. Hasselbeck had that inner Brett Favre gambler trait to him. Sometimes it paid off, sometimes it didn't.. but he would throw to guys who were covered.

Wilson is much more cautious on those types of throws. I loved his TD pass to Jackson, but sadly thats a rare sight from Russ.. I don't know who you attribute that cautious style of play to.. if it's because of Carroll's turnover philosophy or if Wilson is just afraid to make a mistake. Or both. But I think that's a big reason the trigger isn't being pulled on these throws to Graham and he needs to get over that immediately if this trade is going to work.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good posts, I love gifs.

That said, Wilson HAS to throw that ball to Graham in the 1st gif. It doesn't get any more open than that. No excuse.

2nd gif, this is typically where Wilson takes off with the ball. He'll throw to a RB if Lynch is in the area, but usually he runs up the middle and won't pass it.

3rd gif is what's upsetting me this year. Yes, he has Graham in single coverage, and behind his guy. Willson is actually behind his guy too, but Wilson badly under throws this ball, not only making Willson try to come back through the defender to make a catch, but giving the defender a very good chance of making a play. If he would've turned around, he would've had a pick. What bothers me is that Wilson is showing he'll chuck it up to a covered receiver to make a play, but he won't do it for Graham, who is the best on the team at it, and is also the largest.

Next one, Russ can't anticipate a guy falling down. He's actually trying to lead Willson and throw him open. Graham is more open, but it was slower developing, it looks like Willson was the first read and it was there for him.

5th gif, Graham wasn't open, he was doubled. Which is smart for Wilson to wait for the guy behind him to break open as Graham is drawing two defenders, but by the time Baldwin is open, Wilson is getting hit.

Last one, Graham is open, but Wilson has a guy directly in his face.Thanks Gilliam. Pressure up the middle screws most any QB. Wilson typically handles it better than most.

Wilson has to get better. He got paid, the expectations are that he can carry a team with his arm now. To honestly put this to bed (and I hate, Hate, HATE saying this) if Brady were throwing the ball in this game, Graham has 3 TD's. Gronk had one extra step on Wright in the SB than Graham did on his guy, but it's the exact same play and Brady makes it.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":3tpvd1c5 said:
hawknation, mind capturing the one in the 3rd quarter just before the TD to Jackson?

Curious who that one's on. Wilson throws it well before Graham makes a cut/move. It's like he expects Graham to turn right away.

HarmlessBeneficialCollie.gif

Graham was double covered, with the safety coming over to give GB three defenders who could have picked this ball off. The worst sin was how low Wilson threw this ball. If you are going to throw into double coverage, throw it up high in the end zone where only Graham could make a play.

classicaaron

Reaction score
its kind of sad for our WR corps that we are praising mike williams. and even if we did have him russ wouldnt utilize him anyway. im not saying in anyway hasselbeck was a better qb than russ but he was a better thrower. if i could put his arm on wilsons legs we would really have something. i also think hasselbeck could make his progressions better / quicker. either way we have to get graham the ball. so far i have no idea why hes even on the team, he has had zero impact. and relating him to the percy harvin situation is ridiculous. percy needed designed plays to get him the ball, graham can get the ball on any play we would already run, just have to throw it to him.

marko358

Reaction score
Just happened to stumble on NFL Live on ESPN and everyone on the panel agreed that Bevell needs to adjust his plan to get better mismatches with JG. They were going back and forth between NO and SEA plays showing how much better they gameplanned in NO, making sure to get one-on-one isolations. Bevell's utilization has been pretty awful so far.

Why does everyone else see this except for Pete and Darrell?

Laloosh

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3bi1nlg2 said:
Laloosh":3bi1nlg2 said:

Graham was double covered, with the safety coming over to give GB three defenders who could have picked this ball off. The worst sin was how low Wilson threw this ball. If you are going to throw into double coverage, throw it up high in the end zone where only Graham could make a play.

Maybe he was expecting Jimmy to turn around and shield the ball w/ that big body of his, then fall into the end zone.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
marko358":kmimog59 said:
Just happened to stumble on NFL Live on ESPN and everyone on the panel agreed that Bevell needs to adjust his plan to get better mismatches with JG. They were going back and forth between NO and SEA plays showing how much better they gameplanned in NO, making sure to get one-on-one isolations. Bevell's utilization has been pretty awful so far.

Why does everyone else see this except for Pete and Darrell?

Coach Carroll referenced today that they need to do a better job figuring out how to scheme for Jimmy. He also mentioned that Russell needs to become more comfortable utilizing Jimmy's catching radius, meaning throwing the ball up in that range where Jimmy can catch it but the defender is precluded from doing so.

Overall, Carroll is a defensive coach first. He has a general framework of offensive philosophy that he wants, i.e. ball control offense, 50-50 balance in run/pass, used to be a lot more I-Formation with a fullback but that has changed under Bevell, big #1 WR at Split End who can catch jump balls, TE equally adept at blocking and receiving, etc. But he relies on his OC for things like route running complexity and play calling rhythm. Some would say he relies too much on incompetent OCs who are just arrogant enough as former QBs to go unchallenged: Kiffin, Sarkisian, Bates, Bevell. It is only as obvious as it is because every other aspect of Carroll's teams, except play calling, have been so consistently dominant over the years.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":1x6tptps said:
hawknation2015":1x6tptps said:
Laloosh":1x6tptps said:

Maybe he was expecting Jimmy to turn around and shield the ball w/ that big body of his, then fall into the end zone.

If Russell wanted that, he should have thrown it higher, IMO.

Laloosh

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3mlviqks said:
Laloosh":3mlviqks said:
hawknation2015":3mlviqks said:
Laloosh":3mlviqks said:

If Russell wanted that, he should have thrown it higher, IMO.

I was thinking more along the lines of Jimmy having already turned by here:

GB060 zpsavfaqhwx
GB059 zpss2lurycm

It's weird because he went to Jimmy when other routes were open and ignored him when he was open.

Here's where he hit Jimmy on that out route while Rawls was wide open, nobody even close and nothing but end zone in sight.
GB061 zpscf2lekwk

daveman918

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2onyb44y said:
hawknation2015":2onyb44y said:

First and foremost, I agree with you. The film clips you chose though also highlight another big issue with our offensive design. Look at the receiver routes / patterns... Why are all of our receivers running directly into defenders? Shouldn't they be attempting to run away from the defense? On one hand Russell is adverse to throwing into tight coverage and on the other our scheme has the receivers running into tight coverage?

Interesting observation re: the way our guys are engaging at the beginning of their routes. I wonder if this is a by product of how we use our receivers to block or the fact that they practice all the time against a defense that jams a lot.