Thurmond: Welker hit uncalled for

ivotuk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2bmzzusz said:
Sgt. Largent":2bmzzusz said:
CANHawk":2bmzzusz said:
hopefully Walt blows him up like Talib probably shoulda done.

That's the problem with how unfair the rules are now, if Talib or Walter run over Welker, they get called for illegal contact past five yards............but it's perfectly acceptable for WR's to run pick/rub plays. Which btw, pick plays are suppose to be illegal, but unless it's totally obvious the refs never call it.

In this case I do not think so, they ball supposedly got to the Wr at the same time Welker hit Talib, making Welker a blocker and last I checked you can blow up a blocker. If Welker hit Talib before the ball got to the WR it would be a penalty on Welker. But the good part is, this will bring to the attention of the league and refs all the illegal picks that Denver does.

INCORRECT. See Tate, Golden: Block on Sean Lee ->
http://www.nfl.com/.../0ap1000000063427/Golden-Tate-s-block-on-Sean-Lee

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11d1xk3g said:
Coming off 2 concussions, I seriously doubt it was something they told him to do. But whatever, maybe Thurmond should just worry about the game.

Pick plays are a big part of this game and, as suggested above, this statement could be entirely deliberate and strategic.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
Can someone clarify if there is a difference between pick plays and "rub" plays?

AFAIK they are the same thing with a different name- rapeseed vs canola oil.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Some of you are really incredible...

Its not like Thurmond called a news conference on this, he's the Slot defender, so a reporter asked him about Welker.

Thurmond can have his own opinion and thoughts on it without there being a motive.

And the guy who thought Thurmond should just focus on Thurmond, did you not listen to him?

He sounded very intelligent in describing what Welker was doing and how he was doing it, which means Thurmond probably has been doing his job and has been reviewing film on Welker and the Broncos WRs.

Miile High

Reaction score
people actually believe that Denver sent the 5'9, 180 lbs Wes Welker, who missed 3 games due to concussions this season, to intentionally trying to hurt the bigger Aqib Talib, who is 6'2, 205 lbs???

a lot of dummies out there who buy into the media crap.... :34853_doh:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's my own opinion, he should keep opinions like this to himself, he's just asking for the same thing to happen to him. Doesn't matter, won't work against our D.

GFang

Reaction score
Thurmond speaks the truth, I agree with him 100%. When I saw the play initially, I immediately thought it was a bit bush-league. It was a calculated move to rough up the knees of NE's best cornerback, just enough that he would be too hobbled to run full-speed the rest of the game. Some people say "oh, Welker's only 175 lbs, and he got a concussion recently, he would be insane to collide with a bigger guy on purpose!!!". Not buying that. On a play like that, it is easy for an offensive player to brace himself for impact and hurt the other guy who is zeroed in on his assignment. I used to think coach John Fox and Welker were classy guys, but I'm beginning to rethink that.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Miile High":2nh39p3d said:
people actually believe that Denver sent the 5'9, 180 lbs Wes Welker, who missed 3 games due to concussions this season, to intentionally trying to hurt the bigger Aqib Talib, who is 6'2, 205 lbs???

Bro we know lil Wes was watching a greatest hits video prior to the game. Lol it's not like he pulled up and tried to screen the guy. If their counting on big hits from pick plays, they haven't watched this team. We got more hits than the Beatles brah.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3n5s6tog said:
It's my own opinion, he should keep opinions like this to himself, he's just asking for the same thing to happen to him. Doesn't matter, won't work against our D.

So, he shouldn't comment on upcoming games and receivers?

CANHawk

Reaction score
Miile High":1t4djqp5 said:

Yes, because we are so well known for blindly following media crap.

No, I don't think it was an intentional hatchet job with intent to injure, but the results speak for themselves. At best it's illegal contact downfield, at worst it gets a DB injured. Either way it's pretty grey and bordering on illegal.

But that's okay. We do pretty good ourselves with grey and bordering on illegal. If that's the game they really want to play, we know our way around. To quote Jim Harbaugh; we'll come with the knuckles...

HawkGA

Reaction score
It's a shame the league called the pick legal. Pick's are against the rules, right? I don't think Welker intentionally hurt Talib so the league should have said it wasn't worthy of a fine. But it should have been a penalty. Even if refs would never actual call it during a game, the league, after the fact, should acknowledge was it was. WRs should at least have to act like it was accidental/incidental. Diving diagonally to get the block should not be allowed. Or start allowing picks. But don't have the rule if you're not going to enforce it or even pretend like it should be enforced.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
GFang":2c9wfpam said:
Thurmond speaks the truth, I agree with him 100%. When I saw the play initially, I immediately thought it was a bit bush-league. It was a calculated move to rough up the knees of NE's best cornerback, just enough that he would be too hobbled to run full-speed the rest of the game. Some people say "oh, Welker's only 175 lbs, and he got a concussion recently, he would be insane to collide with a bigger guy on purpose!!!". Not buying that. On a play like that, it is easy for an offensive player to brace himself for impact and hurt the other guy who is zeroed in on his assignment. I used to think coach John Fox and Welker were classy guys, but I'm beginning to rethink that.

Its just physics, both players will absorb the impact equally, but where the body absorbs it matters and only one player will get the momentum.

As to the Broncos fan right because a smaller player can't take out a bigger player. You act like its an astronomicaldifference in mass but Welker is tough, he's strong, and we've seen him take shots from both Browner and Chanchellor and get back up.

But as a blocker/picker in this situation, Welker being smaller and closer to earth has all the leverage, like Ivotuk stating how Golden Tate could take out a player who has 40 pounds on him in Sean Lee.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
You guys forgot Tate was fined for his hit on Lee and it didn't look much if any different. Welker's hits from Kam left him blinky blinky.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Pick6":24qanm1f said:
If this was dirty, then what was Tate's hit on Sean Lee?
A penalty, and a fine for hitting a defenseless player :roll:

bigtrain21

Reaction score
scutterhawk":30ve6y0m said:
Pick6":30ve6y0m said:
If this was dirty, then what was Tate's hit on Sean Lee?
A penalty, and a fine for hitting a defenseless player :roll:

He was not penalized but he was fined. How a guy with the best chance at tackling your qb can be called defenseless is beyond me. You can hit a defenseless player btw just not above the shoulders. I believe he hit him below the shoulders and the NFL was wrong.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I thought that while the block may have been borderline legal by rule, it was a cheap shot. Mainly because of welker went low on the block when he did not need to. All he needed to do to be effective is get in the way and glancing off higher would have been sufficient rather than what looked more like cut block to me. I know all defenders hate cut blocks but it is a much different story at he LOS vs. at full speed down field.

But again, I really hate the new DB tackling style of the shoulder block take down to the legs vs. form tackling and wrapping up. This is big reason for increase in knee injuries and missed tackles as well.

253hawk

Reaction score
Doesn't look legal to me. The ball isn't even in the process of being caught yet and Welker is already contacting Talib's body. I almost hope the Hawks let him get a quick slot stirke early and sneak Kam up to lay the hammer on his ass.

La sp sn welker hit on talib 20140121

Latest posts