To all of the "Pete Ball" defenders

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Hawker,

It would be nice if it was a fallback. But it likely is just that Pete is a very successful coach. PeteBall worked, for years. A series of rule changes over the years have changed the risk of the pass and the benefits. It makes sense to pass more. The analytics say this. Per possession, you contribute more to total score for each pass than you do run.

But for a coach, you know it is easier to run than pass. Easier on your offensive line by far. You also know that limiting opposing offensive possessions limits scores on your defense since score per drive totals reduce if you allow less drives. And it worked for you for years. Successful coaches are only going to change away from this approach grudgingly.

There is one coach that will change without being forced to. He actually changes depending on the opponent. That is Bill. And it is a key reason he is the greatest coach in the NFL by a wide margin, and one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, in history. Pete is not even close to Bill as a HC (though ironically, he is very Bill-like in how he finds and develops talent).

Let Russ Cook is a product of our struggling defense. Pete saw what we all saw last year. You need roughly 28 pts per game to win. More against the better scoring teams. So he unleashed his offense earlier. We saw that last year. Now he fully made the change because he had to.

Successful coaches do not change until they are forced to. Pete was forced to. As long as our defense struggles you can assume Wilson will get the green light.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1315707674579804160[/tweet]
R8kzeZTA2Fs16002FAce2BVentura2Bvictory2Bdance
Pete knows what's up.

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":369mvre8 said:
Pete knows what's up.
If we don't start running it and running it well, we're done. If that wasn't incredibly apparent after watching football this past Sunday, I dunno what to tell ya. 0 first downs converted in a football game. Some of the ugliest offensive football we've seen in I dunno how long. And you're celebrating. And I'm the troll. Got it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1x5m5lr3 said:
Fade":1x5m5lr3 said:
Pete knows what's up.
If we don't start running it and running it well, we're done. If that wasn't incredibly apparent after watching football this past Sunday, I dunno what to tell ya. 0 first downs converted in a football game. Some of the ugliest offensive football we've seen in I dunno how long. And you're celebrating. And I'm the troll. Got it.
I get what your saying Tical..
When is Seahawks football pretty?The SB is about the only flawless game
in my mind.
Most of the time it's ugly one way or other and either side of the coin is going to
bitch.
0 first downs and a win?Only Pete can manage that :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkerD":26likqwd said:
Pete Ball is a fallback position. Its what you do when you have a above average D, a good ground game AND a mid tier or young QB that are prone to mistakes. Year 1 and 2 of Russ's career that might have been the case. By year three, Russ showed he knew how to take care of the ball and the offense should have begun to be built around him. It has cost us in NFC seeding and Playoff performance.

After year 3 Pete ball was the wrong approach period. Once Russ showed the training wheels were unnecessary, Pete should have put him on a mountain bike at the top of whistler and said "Go Get It" (metaphorically speaking of course). Better late than never I suppose. Russ has a bunch of years ahead of him and will make the most of them.

Look at the browns this year. They have a QB prone to mistakes so they have reverted to a run heavy Offense and it is working out thus far.

Pete's talked about "Pete Ball." He said it's not just stubbornly running all the time, it's about trying to find the right balance between running and passing as to be a completely balanced team, and not leaning towards a one dimensional too much running, or too much passing offense.

Which makes it easier to defend when an offense is too one dimensional.

I'm obviously fine with how the offense looks, it's looks great. But make no mistake, as the weather turns nasty and we start playing our division opponents who know how to frustrate and contain Russell, we will need that run game, just as much as we need Russell to throw the ball well.

Green Bay is the poster child for relying too much on their QB to win. Yep, it's successful in first halves of seasons, but not so much when you need to score 40 pts a game in the playoffs to have a chance to win. For years that was McCarthy and Rodger's downfall. Every year we heard how amazing Rodgers was as he was passing for a bazillion yards and TD's all over the place..........and every year they'd crash and burn in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":2jk4uus3 said:
Fade":2jk4uus3 said:
Pete knows what's up.

You do realize that was Pete Ball in the 1st half right? (Run everyone deep, no outlets or intermediate throws, the QB has no where to go with the ball and gets sacked.) That was bad playcalling pure and simple, as the Vikings were selling out to take away the deep ball.

The Seahawks were trying to stay vanilla, as they have a bunch of division games coming up, they didn't want to show their hand to much in this game.

They will be fine. They are not going to abandon the run. They are now balanced and the most explosive offense in the NFL.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1316839282271752194[/tweet]

I can't wait to see what this thing looks like when Penny is added, and Josh Gordon plays his couple of games before being suspended again. 8)

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkschronicle/status/1316477207431114752[/tweet]
More insight on what changed in the 2nd half playcalling and tempo wise for those interested.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":36aem9gn said:
Tical21":36aem9gn said:
Fade":36aem9gn said:
Pete knows what's up.

You do realize that was Pete Ball in the 1st half right? (Run everyone deep, no outlets or intermediate throws, the QB has no where to go with the ball and gets sacked.) That was bad playcalling pure and simple, as the Vikings were selling out to take away the deep ball.

The Seahawks were trying to stay vanilla, as they have a bunch of division games coming up, they didn't want to show their hand to much in this game.

They will be fine. They are not going to abandon the run. They are now balanced and the most explosive offense in the NFL.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1316839282271752194[/tweet]

I can't wait to see what this thing looks like when Penny is added, and Josh Gordon plays his couple of games before being suspended again. 8)
On last part I couldn't agree with you more.

LTH

Reaction score
I dont even care as long as they entertain me Im good... but for the sake of argument The hawks O line is playing much better then they have for a long long time. the Hawks wide receivers are probably the best in the league both these factors were not true a couple of years ago... so yeah that has a huge impact throwing on early downs... Now Im sure someone is going to throw a bunch of misleading stats at me to prove Im wrong... Ok... what ever... last year it was fire schotty and Carroll because they dont use Wilson effectively but if I remember correctly it wasnt the passing game that bumped us out of the playoffs last year it was the fact that we didn't have a healthy running back... Balance is the key to a great offense and taking advantage of match ups...

LTH

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not sure Pete Ball and Cookin' Russ are or need to be mutually exclusive.

Now that Pete has softened his iron grip (or, 'Because I'm the coach and I said so') and let Russell be more...Russ, there is an opportunity to actually combine their styles and flourish. When does the student become the master?

You can run the ball when it calls for it. Carson, who apparently discovered Stickum(c) finally, and IF he can stay healthy has the potential to have a bust out season. You use the running game when it makes sense - SITUATIONALLY - either within the game or or depending on your opponent's defense beforehand. Not as a pregame template of 'we're gonna run it up the gut and play smash-mouth football' to establish the run and then incomplete pass on 3rd and mid-to-long then punt until the 4th qtr regardless because That's our Style. i mean, really, an NFL team scoring ZERO points in the first half at home is inexcusable. I don't care if it was raining (in Seattle?!?!)

You want to come into a game with a well researched and thought out game plan, but if it's not working...it's not working.

Hopefully the Vikings game was the WTF game every NFL team has every year. Clearly the Hawks were out-schemed/out coached and, once again, saved by the Russ miracle.

An open mind is always a good thing. It doesn't have to be Pete v Russ. How about Pete n Russ...so happy togetherrrr.

(Also Pete needs to leave the offense alone and focus on D. Which. Is. Terrible.)

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
AubHawk71":2osz09j3 said:
Hmm, I'm not sure Pete Ball and Cookin' Russ are or need to be mutually exclusive.

Now that Pete has softened his iron grip (or, 'Because I'm the coach and I said so') and let Russell be more...Russ, there is an opportunity to actually combine their styles and flourish. When does the student become the master?

You can run the ball when it calls for it. Carson, who apparently discovered Stickum(c) finally, and IF he can stay healthy has the potential to have a bust out season. You use the running game when it makes sense - SITUATIONALLY - either within the game or or depending on your opponent's defense beforehand. Not as a pregame template of 'we're gonna run it up the gut and play smash-mouth football' to establish the run and then incomplete pass on 3rd and mid-to-long then punt until the 4th qtr regardless because That's our Style. i mean, really, an NFL team scoring ZERO points in the first half at home is inexcusable. I don't care if it was raining (in Seattle?!?!)

You want to come into a game with a well researched and thought out game plan, but if it's not working...it's not working.

Hopefully the Vikings game was the WTF game every NFL team has every year. Clearly the Hawks were out-schemed/out coached and, once again, saved by the Russ miracle.

An open mind is always a good thing. It doesn't have to be Pete v Russ. How about Pete n Russ...so happy togetherrrr.

(Also Pete needs to leave the offense alone and focus on D. Which. Is. Terrible.)

How do you explain the total lack of fumbles during the 2018 season?

I'm guessing he just forgot about stickum last year.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":14l0o061 said:
AubHawk71":14l0o061 said:

How do you explain the total lack of fumbles during the 2018 season?

I'm guessing he just forgot about stickum last year.

Until I get a paycheck from the Seahawks I don't have to explain anything. These are merely my opinions.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Any fumble is bad, but Carson's 7 fumbles in 2019 is just disgusting with some of them coming in absolutely crushing game situations. Over the past 10 years, only 14 running backs have fumbled more than 5 times in a season, so there's no escaping the fact that fumbling 7 times is historically bad...

https://www.ffastronauts.com/post/fumbling-chris-carson

Sorry your boss s*** on your head this week, but that's not my problem.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I didn’t read the whole thread, I’m just gunna say this.

I get just as frustrated as anyone but.....

I also recognize that we’ve had more success under the current administration than any other in the history of the team.

For that there is absolutely no argument.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's weird to me some are watching this and hating it and just waiting for the first sign of failure so they can say they were right. Seattle has become much more efficient on early downs which is a good thing. They still run the football and will continue to. No one wants us to quit running or suck at it. This whole let Russ cook was actually the opposite but being less predictable, passing more on early downs you set yourself up to run more efficiently. There is a reason almost all elite offenses have switched to this. Baltimore is a bad comparison because no one has the pieces to pull that off and even that offense is in major trouble when it gets down.

Quit hoping you'll be right or waiting for the first sign of offensive struggle. Why not just enjoy what the offense is going as a fan. Penny is going to be a spark if he's right and Carson is still a monster who will probably get slightly more usage as the year goes on. The offense is finding itself, utilizing it's best player the most efficient way possible and can still be a very balanced, run focused offense. Enjoy it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This x1000. You basically just described a LOT of "12s"
Can't just take the time to enjoy winning. And when they do lose, and they will lose some games, they pump their chests out and tell us they told us blah blah blah.
Strange to say the least, but it's flat out going to happen. Shoot, people whine and moan after WINS every week.

Nunya

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1d2pvhz1 said:
This x1000. You basically just described a LOT of "12s"
Can't just take the time to enjoy winning. And when they do lose, and they will lose some games, they pump their chests out and tell us they told us blah blah blah.
Strange to say the least, but it's flat out going to happen. Shoot, people whine and moan after WINS every week.

I blame the rain.