Tom Cable- its down to 2

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
sondevil89":201dmptd said:
Hawkfan77":201dmptd said:
I can't for the life of me understand why Shanahan would take that job. McDaniel was smart to bow out. Stay one more year in ATL and your pick of jobs.

Why would he take the job? Millions of dollars AND a guaranteed contract. Even if you get fired after one year you walk away w/millions AND no loss to your cred because everyone knows you were working for a freaking idiot!
It's not that hard to lose credibility: you only get so many chances as a HC.

It's highly unlikely Shanahan's stock will drop much by next offseason and there will likely be far better opportunities with better teams and less chaotic ownership situations. While you can always argue "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", a young star OC like Shanahan may be better off waiting for a better situation.

We'll see, but somehow I'm actually thinking they may end up with Cable.

NINEster

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2a24hsyh said:
seahawkfreak":2a24hsyh said:
johnnyfever":2a24hsyh said:
They need a GM and a HC. How friggin perfect would that be. 2 birds with one stone, and turn our division into one with only 3 viable teams.

Jed york is an imbecile, but not a sadist, so probably just a dream.

If SF hires Cable, Bradley wants to be his DC. The 49ers are also interviewing, I think two, Seahawk FO assistants for GM positions as well.

Lol, the Santa Clara Seahawks. How does that grab you, Niners fans?

I'd hate it.

grizbob

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2w8seu5z said:
grizbob":2w8seu5z said:
West TX Hawk":2w8seu5z said:
Come on San Fran, seal the deal! We're waiting!
:roll:

No need for eyes to roll when Cable has exhausted his ZBS experiment and Wilson and our RBs have gotten smashed as a result. The last thing young OL need is a complicated system to master. Pete has admitted they rely on Cable's imput for OL acquisitions and draft selections and Cable has failed. Perhaps we can do better.

It is my opinion if not for Cable there wouldn't be a trophy. It was his coaching style that allowed the team to weather all the injuries to the O line.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Tom Cable's been here for how long now? If he were truly an elite O-line coach, we wouldn't have a bargain bin O-line year after year. People look at lines like Dallas's and Green Bay's, marvel that they give their quarterbacks like twenty seconds per play to throw the ball, and then say Cable's an offensive line guru with the last-rated O-line in the league. Those two facts don't jive.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
irocdave":hff7olot said:
Tom Cable as a head coach for the niners would instill some toughness and you know dam well that little puke owner wouldn't have pulled the shit he has on his HC's the last 3 years on TC. He would provide stability to a floundering organization and bring in some good coordinators and coaches. How am I doing....think they are buying it??

OK, to top off the deal, the Hawks will throw in Bevell for shipping and handling costs only.

Good riddance to Tom Cable. Pete needs to step up and realize he is leaning on the guy that is leading the team down the toilet. If Pete and JS cant pick O lineman, find the guy that can. It dam sure isn't Tom Cable. I say that with the understanding Cable has had major influence in the O line draft picks chosen since he has been here. Look at that track record and tell any fan of any team it's acceptable. It isn't, and it shouldn't be allowed to continue.

Ya almost had me sold....but you forgot the ticking time clock. With only 3 more minutes to make a decision before this window closes......THen it is back up to the original 4x price. I aint paying 4x the price for painted dung. Petrified, maybe...painted no.

As far as Cable going to the Seahawks SW....I dont know if it will work out. I shall bet that if he is picked, he has an arsenal of coaches that would be able to help him. And, with our coaching staff, he would need them.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The problem I have with Cable is that he seems to be given unilateral or near unilateral decision making on OLINE personnel decision.

I have no doubt he's a very good ZBS technical coach. I think however arrogantly he believes he can convert anyone with certain athleticism to be excellent. We have some of the most talented offense and defensive players with a huge SB window but we're willing to bet it all that guys who would be 2nd and 3rd string players will somehow turn into capable players. This is the first full season Cable has had his entire hand in the line, and you see how it went? We've always had cornerstones in the line like Okung, Unger..ect which came from other areas.

What was Cable thinking wanting to sign Jamarcus Webb? A few million dollars we could have pushed towards this year's cap space? Most of his draft picks haven't worked out. He had a success story with JR Sweezy, but that is one out of about 15 attempts.

They also cut J.Evans who went on to have a nice year in NO. When Ifedi got hurt, we played Reese O. He was the worst OG i've ever seen in a playoff game. Who allowed two sacks and single handily caused a safety. These are the decision I question. Do you think Evans would have been so bad? No.

If it were up to me I would 100% swipe all personnel decisions and if that made it too difficult then I would have to move on from him...but not because of his teaching skills.

I never played OLINE specifically, but ability to see and process is a massive deal. There's no doubt these young guys have the potential to improve, but I'm not sure i'd put the future of the franchise on Cable's hunch that they will. I feel like if you could secure the edges, you'd have a much better chance.

Another problem is by the time it takes for these young and sometimes new to the position lineman to "get it" they are finally in their contract year. So you get two crappy years and one adequate one. Dumb.

randomation

Reaction score
ARhawk":jj2xs3ri said:
I hope we keep Cable. If he goes to SF and loads up on unproven athletic O-lineman, gives them more than one year to produce before giving up, and creates a cheap dominant line, I'm going to be so pissed.

I still think he can do that here, but we cant call for his head because you expected immediate results from raw players. This line will be good with continuity.

We have spent more top 3 round draft pick on OL than Dallas since Pete took over, there has been a ton of capital invested for shit results.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Germaine Ifedi
Rees Odhiambo
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Justin Britt
James Carpenter
John Moffitt
Russell Okung

Inherited Max Unger

Thats the list of OL players drafted in the first 4 rounds in the Carroll era. Plus several late round picks. Cable is the guy that picks and coaches these losers. And for years insisted on trying to turn DL into OL. Its his fault he has nothing to work with.

Good riddance.

lukerguy

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":b4kyhvly said:
Germaine Ifedi
Rees Odhiambo
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Justin Britt
James Carpenter
John Moffitt
Russell Okung

Inherited Max Unger

Thats the list of OL players drafted in the first 4 rounds in the Carroll era. Plus several late round picks. Cable is the guy that picks and coaches these losers. And for years insisted on trying to turn DL into OL. Its his fault he has nothing to work with.

Good riddance.

Yeah, that was my point above. I don't care how good he is at teaching. His ability to evaluate talent isn't good, and we give him near unilateral decision making in this regard.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
lukerguy":bqwn1yae said:
XxXdragonXxX":bqwn1yae said:
Germaine Ifedi
Rees Odhiambo
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Justin Britt
James Carpenter
John Moffitt
Russell Okung

Inherited Max Unger

Good riddance.

Yeah, that was my point above. I don't care how good he is at teaching. His ability to evaluate talent isn't good, and we give him near unilateral decision making in this regard.

Personal opinion but I do not think Cable is a great teacher when it comes to pass blocking. It's so bad at times that I wonder where pass blocking ranks on his priority list. Brooks Reed was getting to Russ. His players looked very confused handling basic stunts in week 19.

lukerguy

Reaction score
More pass blocking break downs in a ZBS come from miscommunication. I think it's more to do with the fact that he values run blockers over pass blocker and he picks his players than that he doesn't know how to teach it well.