Tom Cable staying with Seattle

johnnyfever

Reaction score
If you look at the first game the OL played and the last, do you really se much improvement? That is not the continuity we want.

HawksnDawgs35

Reaction score
Yaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!

I'm looking forward to yet another season of craptastic blocking and Russell running for his life.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Continuity my arse. We'll have at least 3 new linemen come playoff time next year as usual, primarily because Cable hardly drafts or develops anyone worth keeping beyond a year or two. It's always the same raw, athletic types that show just enough in camp or during a few in-game snaps to keep around for a little while, and then they get replaced with a new batch of players that meet that exact same profile after a year or so, because those players are a dime a dozen.

And the reason why we're in this predicament is, again, because of Cable himself, because he chooses to use tight ends and d-line converts and basketball players and because his early round picks (which he has gotten plenty of to work with) have largely flopped. This isn't the front office telling Cable "we're gonna give you less to work with than the other positions because that's our philosophy." Actually, I believe the philosophy is coming from Cable himself. The front office has clearly indicated o-line is a priority by allocating so many picks to it, especially in the last draft, and has also shown no hesitation in resigning players to large second contracts regardless of position; the issue is that Cable simply hasn't drafted anyone worth resigning to a 2nd contract. It's been 5 years and nothing has improved since the beginning.

themunn

Reaction score
ducks41468":4c4tiqy5 said:
Continuity my arse. We'll have at least 3 new linemen come playoff time next year as usual, primarily because Cable hardly drafts or develops anyone worth keeping beyond a year or two. It's always the same raw, athletic types that show just enough in camp or during a few in-game snaps to keep around for a little while, and then they get replaced with a new batch of players that meet that exact same profile after a year or so, because those players are a dime a dozen.

And the reason why we're in this predicament is, again, because of Cable himself, because he chooses to use tight ends and d-line converts and basketball players and because his early round picks (which he has gotten plenty of to work with) have largely flopped. This isn't the front office telling Cable "we're gonna give you less to work with than the other positions because that's our philosophy." Actually, I believe the philosophy is coming from Cable himself. The front office has clearly indicated o-line is a priority by allocating so many picks to it, especially in the last draft, and has also shown no hesitation in resigning players to large second contracts regardless of position; the issue is that Cable simply hasn't drafted anyone worth resigning to a 2nd contract. It's been 5 years and nothing has improved since the beginning.

Pre-2016 who are his early round picks?
Carpenter is a starter for the Jets, Britt switched position every year and now looks like an extremely capable center, Ifedi and Odhiambo have just finished their rookie seasons. The only real flop is Moffit, and 99% of that can be put down to his attitude problem, not ability (which isn't exactly the easiest to identify in scouting).

Hell, 2012 and 2013 the only OL draft picks we had were in the 7th round, and you wonder why the O-line has gotten worse year after year?

Largent80

Reaction score
HawkFan72":6815lonf said:
I am kind of relieved. I know many of you are very sick of Cable, but if the Seahawks really are sticking with this group of O-line guys I want Cable being the one to continue to teach them. We really don't need some new voice coming in and changing whatever continuity those guys are starting to have. Now those guys can keep hearing consistent things, keep getting better, and hopefully we'll have a few new players competing for the spots.

If they were doing an O-line overhaul I would want a new coach. But with the way the Seahawks are doing it, I want a consistent voice.

While a big part of me wants to let zone blocking go, I have to agree with Tyler here.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Jville":3cbmhtmm said:
Seymour":3cbmhtmm said:
Jville":3cbmhtmm said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DHendrickson41/status/821493652681728000[/tweet] :229031_victory:

Is that Cables agent or bail bondsman?

[youtube]cTozW3ZC6_I[/youtube]

One of my favorite movies ever! :2thumbs:

classicaaron

Reaction score
thank god for continuity. I was seriously worried our offensive line would actually look like an nfl line and play well. thank god for continued underperforming seasons. :sarcasm_off:

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
--
@MikeSilver
Gus Bradley wanted to go to SF as Cable's DC. Niners called today to try to get him to come anyway. He said no. Only wanted Cable.
--

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":6mm78pd2 said:
I am kind of relieved. I know many of you are very sick of Cable, but if the Seahawks really are sticking with this group of O-line guys I want Cable being the one to continue to teach them. We really don't need some new voice coming in and changing whatever continuity those guys are starting to have. Now those guys can keep hearing consistent things, keep getting better, and hopefully we'll have a few new players competing for the spots.

If they were doing an O-line overhaul I would want a new coach. But with the way the Seahawks are doing it, I want a consistent voice.

This. With such a young OL, sticking with Cable is going to be better than going with a new guy. It would be like starting all over again.

Cable has had success here, and when the run game works, we're damned good and hard to stop. I wish he could teach pass blocking better, but it looks like some of our guys our naturally half way decent pass blockers and run blocking is where we need to excel, which Cable does.

modernman

Reaction score
The only upside to this...... is now the Falcons are in trouble too with KS going the 49ers

chris98251

Reaction score
Well maybe Quinn needs a New Assistant Head Coach OC, Bevell would be available then and Cable could be OC :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":2hetdabg said:
Well maybe Quinn needs a New Assistant Head Coach OC, Bevell would be available then and Cable could be OC :)
I'd laugh my ass off if Quinn made the mistake of replacing Shanahan with Bevell. I'd also be so happy I might cry. Remember when Ralphie opens the Red Ryder BB Gun in A Christmas Story? :lol:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
A sick twisted part of me hopes nobody leaves again..... If the OC position opens, I want Peyton Manning.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Continuity is the recipe for success. We have one of the best staffs in the NFL.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":1rympn6n said:

While it is a great thought, he could have taken Bevell after SB49 when he got the HC gig with Falcons. He didn't then so most likely he won't now.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3rolpqe1 said:
chris98251":3rolpqe1 said:

While it is a great thought, he could have taken Bevell after SB49 when he got the HC gig with Falcons. He didn't then so most likely he won't now.

He had Shanny available.

Latest posts