Top 100 players.... Wilson and Wagner

chrispy

Reaction score
Looks like Russ is 61 and BWagz is 29th (sorry: edit). I wonder how this plays out over the season. I realize it's kind of a popularity contest between players, but BWagz has a pretty good supporting cast in LA. It could play out to be pretty accurate....

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Looks like Russ is 61 and BWagz is 25. I wonder how this plays out over the season. I realize it's kind of a popularity contest between players, but BWagz has a pretty good supporting cast in LA. It could play out to be pretty accurate....

I think there's a small mistake in the first post of this thread. I just looked at the NFL's top 100 players for 2022, and Wilson is indeed 61st, and Wagner is 29th, not 25th. Nick Bosa is 25th.

As I understand it, the players vote on which players they consider the best for this season, so it's not based solely on 2021. So even though I don't agree with the people here on .NET who appear to be more fans of Wilson than of the Seahawks, especially those who at least appear to credit Wilson for every good thing that has happened for the Seahawks in the last ten years and blame every bad thing on Carroll, I think these rankings are nuts. I think Wilson is too far down the list and Wagner is too close to the top.

Last season, Wagner appeared to have lost more to age than Wilson had. Wilson had a bad-for-him season because of his injury and because of coming back from it too soon, but Wagner just looked like he had "lost a step" to age. That is, even though Wagner was second-team All-Pro in 2021, he didn't look the same on the field as he had in previous seasons, and that looked like the beginning of age-related decline.
Both Wilson and Wagner are clearly all-time great Seahawks and obvious shoo-in candidates for the Ring of Honor.
Wagner should easily make the Hall of Fame. He placed fifth in the MVP voting after the 2014 season. It's crazy for a linebacker to place that high. Wagner has been second-team All-Pro twice and first-team All-Pro a honkin' six times.
Wilson has been by a ridiculously huge margin the best QB the Seahawks have ever had, and he's been a top-ten-ish QB for a good part of his career. If you compare his performance with that of QBs from earlier eras, he blows them away. But QBs have been getting better and better, so despite Wilson being really good and having made the Pro Bowl nine times in his ten seasons, he's only made second-team All-Pro once, and has never been first-team All-Pro, nor has he ever gotten even a single MVP vote. That pretty much shoots down people who refer to him as a "generational" talent. But it doesn't take away from Wilson having been a pretty damn good QB.

I don't see how Wagner can be considered one of the top 30 players in the league for 2022. He's certainly (easily!) among the top 30 cases for the Hall of Fame among active players, but I don't expect him to be a top-30 performer in 2022. And while Wagner is ranked 29th, Fred Warner is ranked just 47th. Warner still has a long way to go to be considered a potential Hall of Fame inductee, while Wagner is obviously headed there, but if you ask me which one I'd rather have on my team in 2022, I think Warner wins.

I also don't see how Wilson can be ranked #61. That's just absurdly low. I might not put Wilson in the top 20 either, as some on .NET would (I can think of one who would put Wilson in the top five), but there's just no way he belongs down at #61. If Wilson had played a season for the Broncos, stayed healthy, and put up underwhelming numbers, I could understand putting him that low. But right now? He definitely belongs in the top 50, and probably well into the top 50.

This may indeed be a matter of popularity. We know Wilson rubs some players the wrong way, so maybe some of them rank him lower than he deserves on their ballots. I think the Seahawks made the right move in trading Wilson, but I also expect Wilson to be much better than the 61st-best player in the league this year, especially going to a team with a solid defense, a highly regarded offensive line, and a bunch of "weapons."
Similarly, people appear to like Wagner, and I think everyone respects how utterly great his career has been so far, so maybe a lot of players ranked Wagner very high because of how great he's been and because they like him, not basing their votes completely on how good they expect him to be in 2022. Or maybe they think that playing behind Aaron Donald and in front of Jalen Ramsey will help rejuvenate Wagner. 🤷‍♂️

In any case, we consume these preseason rankings to try to satisfy our collective football jones (well, I do, anyway), and so we end up giving this kind of ranking way too much attention (I just did!). I greatly look forward to the start of actual football games, and I'm glad that's just 16 days away, even though I really dislike Thursday-night games.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
61??? 50 million a year for 61? This ranking will no doubt hurt the brand...I guess the players who took part maybe see what we've been seeing the last few years. Oh wait its coaching...
You know what? We the 12s on dot net MUST PETITION for John63 to rebut and defend the honor of Mr. Unlimited. None of us is capable to do as good a job as John, I think we all agree to that.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
You know what? We the 12s on dot net MUST PETITION for John63 to rebut and defend the honor of Mr. Unlimited. None of us is capable to do as good a job as John, I think we all agree to that.
Hes over at letsride.net ...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Russ is top 6, even in a down injury year, he deserves to be 16th, to be named top 60? Not acceptable by all Russ admirers.
I agree he should be higher but these were votes by his peers? I think they see things a lot different than the fan. I guess it's all positions so there is that.

toffee

Reaction score
I agree he should be higher but these were votes by his peers? I think they see things a lot different than the fan. I guess it's all positions so there is that.
Guess I am a Russ homer, he's larger than life :)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
It would have been funny if the league ranked Watson for how many different massage therapist he hired.

RedAlice

Reaction score
If I am wrong, please correct me - but, for this specific ranking it is the NFL players themselves who do the voting.

So, the results are not necessarily accurate as to what fans think: it is what the NFL players themselves think of other players.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think there's a small mistake in the first post of this thread. I just looked at the NFL's top 100 players for 2022, and Wilson is indeed 61st, and Wagner is 29th, not 25th. Nick Bosa is 25th.

As I understand it, the players vote on which players they consider the best for this season, so it's not based solely on 2021. So even though I don't agree with the people here on .NET who appear to be more fans of Wilson than of the Seahawks, especially those who at least appear to credit Wilson for every good thing that has happened for the Seahawks in the last ten years and blame every bad thing on Carroll, I think these rankings are nuts. I think Wilson is too far down the list and Wagner is too close to the top.

Last season, Wagner appeared to have lost more to age than Wilson had. Wilson had a bad-for-him season because of his injury and because of coming back from it too soon, but Wagner just looked like he had "lost a step" to age. That is, even though Wagner was second-team All-Pro in 2021, he didn't look the same on the field as he had in previous seasons, and that looked like the beginning of age-related decline.
Both Wilson and Wagner are clearly all-time great Seahawks and obvious shoo-in candidates for the Ring of Honor.
Wagner should easily make the Hall of Fame. He placed fifth in the MVP voting after the 2014 season. It's crazy for a linebacker to place that high. Wagner has been second-team All-Pro twice and first-team All-Pro a honkin' six times.
Wilson has been by a ridiculously huge margin the best QB the Seahawks have ever had, and he's been a top-ten-ish QB for a good part of his career. If you compare his performance with that of QBs from earlier eras, he blows them away. But QBs have been getting better and better, so despite Wilson being really good and having made the Pro Bowl nine times in his ten seasons, he's only made second-team All-Pro once, and has never been first-team All-Pro, nor has he ever gotten even a single MVP vote. That pretty much shoots down people who refer to him as a "generational" talent. But it doesn't take away from Wilson having been a pretty damn good QB.

I don't see how Wagner can be considered one of the top 30 players in the league for 2022. He's certainly (easily!) among the top 30 cases for the Hall of Fame among active players, but I don't expect him to be a top-30 performer in 2022. And while Wagner is ranked 29th, Fred Warner is ranked just 47th. Warner still has a long way to go to be considered a potential Hall of Fame inductee, while Wagner is obviously headed there, but if you ask me which one I'd rather have on my team in 2022, I think Warner wins.

I also don't see how Wilson can be ranked #61. That's just absurdly low. I might not put Wilson in the top 20 either, as some on .NET would (I can think of one who would put Wilson in the top five), but there's just no way he belongs down at #61. If Wilson had played a season for the Broncos, stayed healthy, and put up underwhelming numbers, I could understand putting him that low. But right now? He definitely belongs in the top 50, and probably well into the top 50.

This may indeed be a matter of popularity. We know Wilson rubs some players the wrong way, so maybe some of them rank him lower than he deserves on their ballots. I think the Seahawks made the right move in trading Wilson, but I also expect Wilson to be much better than the 61st-best player in the league this year, especially going to a team with a solid defense, a highly regarded offensive line, and a bunch of "weapons."
Similarly, people appear to like Wagner, and I think everyone respects how utterly great his career has been so far, so maybe a lot of players ranked Wagner very high because of how great he's been and because they like him, not basing their votes completely on how good they expect him to be in 2022. Or maybe they think that playing behind Aaron Donald and in front of Jalen Ramsey will help rejuvenate Wagner. 🤷‍♂️

In any case, we consume these preseason rankings to try to satisfy our collective football jones (well, I do, anyway), and so we end up giving this kind of ranking way too much attention (I just did!). I greatly look forward to the start of actual football games, and I'm glad that's just 16 days away, even though I really dislike Thursday-night games.
Solid post.

All I'll say is the TOP debacle that we saw last year likely contributed to Wags looking slower. I'd wager that if you keep him fresh and not playing the style of defense we did, you might see a rejuvenated player. Maybe not 2017 Wagz, but probably not the 2021 version either.

With Wilson, at some point, if it's known that playing a fairly straight forward defense can nullify his magic and that it's safe to leave vast ares of the field open, that the mystique he's ridden to stardom thus far will begun to suffer.

But I agree that he's probably better than 61. i think the dude has incentive to either try to go back to who he was when he was more of a dual threat, (not pulling an RG3, but being more willing to just pull the ball down and pressure the D with his legs if it's there)or... that he'll double down and work through some of what's challenged him in the past.