Top 5 Concerns going into the Season

chris98251

Reaction score
Who controls the offense, Schotty or Pete.

Rules officials handling games able to steer easily now, any helmet contact can be a foul at any given time.

Injuries as always.

O line progression, do we have a consistent 5 man group before the season starts.

Penalties, I say this because Veterans will get the benefit of the doubt many times, where unknowns and 1st and second year guys seem to get flagged for farting and the officials being down wind. Those penealties can shut down drives and negate good defensive plays. Were going to have a lot of new blood on both offense and defense and thats why I raise it as a issue and concern.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":34cfn9qd said:
Trust the process, grasshopper.
The same process that took our team to a Super Bowl, also dismantled a historically good team through horrible trades, poor player management, nepotism and bad drafting. A little bit of skepticism over "the process" warranted.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pass rush, Pass rush, Pass rush this could be a long season with the team's inability to hold any kind of lead.

adeltaY

Reaction score
None, we are going 19-0. Preseason feelings of invincibility hitting me hard.

22-0 from this point on, actually ;)

Atradees

Reaction score
i though we were going to whip the Colts on accident. Well see............13-3 superb owl.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Problems with the offensive line ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1031278500706021376[/tweet]

Also, Rees Odhiambo had the worst pass-blocking grade (17.80) of any lineman in the NFL with at least 10 passing snaps.

Ethan Pocic continues to struggle as a run blocker. George Fant has also struggled in the run game. D.J. Fluker has struggled in both run and pass blocking.

Beavers has been good in pass pro & offers a lot of versatility, having played both guard positions and RT. If there is a true competitor for Ifedi, at this point, it is Willie Beavers (best name ever).

James in PA

Reaction score
O-line (but if Ifedi doesn’t make the final 53, I will feel a bit better)

D not able to get off the field

O not able to finish drives

No pass rush

Backup QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I'm curious.....does the Line Coach take Ifedi into the film room and show him one on one his errors? What is Ifedi's response?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
After last night my top 5 concerns are:

1. RT- Ifedi just seems to get worse, he can’t handle a speed rusher. None of the others are capable of holding the job.

2. Back-up QB, to me Davis has not got the stuf to help the team if Wilson went down. McGough is far too raw to be a relief starter.

3. The team still is taking critical ill timed penalties.

4. There does not appear to be a clear RCB starter.

5. (a) I am so far not overwhelmed with the running game despite it’s apparent key focus by the team.
(b) the team seemed vulnerable to the Chagers deep pass game.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
1. Wilson is too fat
2. Penny is too fat
3. Carson is too fat
4. Ramalamadingdong
5. BOOSH

Boom84

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2nzt4onr said:
#1 - #5 Defense

Agreed. Beyond the obvious with Ifedi, CJ Glass, and potential for depth to be an issue RG / RT, the interior DL is seemingly being pushed around. That was a quiet factor all of last season, and the group doesn't seem any more stout. They do miss a player like Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane, and Ahtaba Rubin, and Reed while good, just isn't of that ilk as a run-stuffer.

Further, Delano Hill and Mike Tyson just don't seem to have any qualities which standout. They seem to be a step behind receivers, and more worrisome Hill at the line of scrimmage has missed one key stop at the end of the Colts game and another in the Charger game. Their lack of any splash I would say, has opened the door for Thompson, Alexander, King, etc.

Hopefully the coaching staff and front office makes the moves to put a good defensive starting unit together with suitable backups.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I have four major concerns.

#1. Pass rush losses. We lost three key starters on the defensive line in Bennett, Avril, and Richardson. That's a very tough group to replace.

#2. Pass rush injuries. Key replacements in Dion Jordan and Frank Clark both needed surgery recently. It sounds like the Jordan injury could drag on, and even if Clark is full go by Week 1 he will still have missed a lot of valuable practice time. And while Quinton Jefferson has looked pretty good this preseason he has yet to show that he can stay healthy for the regular season.

#3. Lack of interior pass rush. We have some promising run stoppers in Nazair Jones, Jarran Reed and Poona Ford, along with veteran acquisition Shamar Stephens. But while the Hawks defense was good against the run in the first couple of years and generated plenty of edge pressure, we didn't take the next step forwards until we had Bennett providing interior pressure. Can Tom Johnson be that force? He did contribute to a sack against the Chargers.

#4. Pass rush growing pains. Martin and Green have showed preseason potential but there's a steep rookie learning curve in the NFL and the regular season is a different animal entirely. Mingo may not be a rookie but he is still developing and pass rush is just one of the things he will be asked to do.

Fade

Reaction score
UPDATED THOUGHTS POST PRE-SEASON GAME 2

-1- Ifedi / Offensive Line Depth

Watching Ifedi snap to snap is awe inspiring. He gets payed millions of dollars to be that bad, only in America. Jamarco Jones would've been the starter by the end of the pre-season, but now is injured. A guy off the scrap heap at this point would be an upgrade. Ifedi was getting wrecked every snap, If Russell were a statue he would've been sacked 10 times in this game.

The O-Line doesn't have much depth right now, Sweezy... that is it, and he hasn't even played yet.

-2- Ken Norton in Over his Head

Pete Carroll is going to have to assist in a big way to help keep his spotty DC from losing games directly.

-3- Pass Rush

Frank Clark is going to have to put up monster numbers to keep the pass rush respectable. The run D looked bad in game 2, but I'm confident Pete can get that fixed. They need to play Poona Ford & Naz Jones more imo.

-4- Runningback Health / Fullback

It has been a problem for years, and guys keep getting hurt. Right now it's no big deal as the injuries are only minor. One major injury though and things could go south real quick.

They need a real thumper at Fullback if Pete wants his running game to get to the level he is looking for.

-5- Pete Carroll Being too Conservative on Offense at the Start of Games

I have been encouraged with the aggressiveness the Seahawks offense has played with when RW has been in. It appears Pete has loosened the reigns some, but this is pre-season. We will just have to wait until the regular season to see if it continues. Pete cannot get away with do nothing on offense for the entire first half anymore. I would like to think he realizes that.