Tre Flowers is....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2iay27uc said:

As much as I would want this, Quinn/Patricia won't let Slay go nearly as easily as Diggs. That whole fanbase, even now, sees the Diggs trade as proof of Q/P incompetency. Both Q/P are on notice per Martha with a prove-it deal to make it to the playoffs for 2020; if not, no 2021. They won't willingly part with one of their few pieces that can help them succeed, especially if he's healthy.

The only way I see that changing is if Slay gets hurt AND exhibits an attitude (like Diggs) AND if the Lions are presented a Jalen Ramsey type trade prospect that they move their 2021 chips to get.

Ramsey's 25 and arguably the best CB in the entire league, next to maybe Gillmore.

Slay will be 30 next season, if your Patricia do you really want to pay him 15M per year + for the next 3-4 years to keep a CB that isn't happy and isn't going to be there when you're ready to compete?

Just spitballing, obviously this is a pipe dream. But IMO it makes sense for both sides if we dangle out a 2nd rounder.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tre Flowers is so bad he steals bread off of kids lunch plates. We got a lot of great CB coaches here in this forum. Experts, yup. They are so good at picking out bums that they all have jobs as NFL coaches....

OOps. Nope, they work for Waste Management.

tersal

Reaction score
rightbench":2qplcp6z said:
Dont know why it took me so long to realize that Flowers is the reincarnation of Kelly Jennings. Too small, unaware, penalty prone and beaten like a drum consistently but they're too proud of themselves to do what needs to be done and bench him. ... and they dont have anyone else anyway. Hopefully next year.
Tre Flowers played safety in college if the team decides he is not a corner I wonder if they will give him a shot there. Tackling is a must however.

stack55

Reaction score
Pretty close, getting burned by Edelman all game in the Super Bowl. The only difference is Tre doesn't whine for OPI every time they catch the ball on him.

Edelman makes all d-backs look bad.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":13fuazjo said:
Sgt. Largent":13fuazjo said:
Seahwkgal":13fuazjo said:
We need to check for a viable replacement in FA who is not too old.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

Trade for Darius Slay.

- He's in the last year of his deal
- He hates it in Detroit
- Detroit's rebuilding, so why would they give a big extension to a 29 year old DB
- He's best friends with Diggs

Makes perfect sense for both sides. Give them one of our 2nd rounders for Slay, and give him a nice extension........and tell Flowers to take a seat over there.

I agree with everything except giving up a 2nd to fix this. I'd prefer to do this through the draft or FA and keep all our picks as that keeps the cap down and gives us more $$ to spend on quality players. Yes, we are pretty bad in the first 2 rounds, but we often turn those into more picks which raises the chance of finding that needle in the haystack.

That is largely how Pete and John "succeed" in the draft. More picks = better chances of finding that gem.
Same..I'd to have Slay but not for 2 and cost to extend..
This is where the cap really sucks..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":295mi9ax said:
Seymour":295mi9ax said:
Sgt. Largent":295mi9ax said:
Seahwkgal":295mi9ax said:
We need to check for a viable replacement in FA who is not too old.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

Trade for Darius Slay.

- He hates it in Detroit
- Detroit's rebuilding, so why would they give a big extension to a 29 year old DB

Makes perfect sense for both sides. Give them one of our 2nd rounders for Slay, and give him a nice extension........and tell Flowers to take a seat over there.

I agree with everything except giving up a 2nd to fix this. I'd prefer to do this through the draft or FA and keep all our picks as that keeps the cap down and gives us more $$ to spend on quality players. Yes, we are pretty bad in the first 2 rounds, but we often turn those into more picks which raises the chance of finding that needle in the haystack.

That is largely how Pete and John "succeed" in the draft. More picks = better chances of finding that gem.

If you don't trade with a 2nd, then you're in the same situation as you were with Clowney, a one year rental player...........that's the only way Detroit trades Slay if they don't get better offers, for a lesser pick if they and he don't want to sign an extension.

Personally, I'm tired of the one year rental player. I'd like to actually build something, and not have to re-shuffle the deck every year on trying to get cheaper bargain players.

We have two 2nd rounders, and after we trade out of the first round again, we'll have three. Trade one, get Slay and give him an extension so we can actually have that position locked down and elite again for the next 3-4 years.........and not be discussing how Flowers is costing us playoff games again this time next year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3h5qri9r said:
IndyHawk":3h5qri9r said:
Seymour":3h5qri9r said:
Sgt. Largent":3h5qri9r said:
Trade for Darius Slay.

- He hates it in Detroit

If you don't trade with a 2nd, then you're in the same situation as you were with Clowney, a one year rental player...........that's the only way Detroit trades Slay if they don't get better offers, for a lesser pick if they and he don't want to sign an extension.

Personally, I'm tired of the one year rental player. I'd like to actually build something, and not have to re-shuffle the deck every year on trying to get cheaper bargain players.

We have two 2nd rounders, and after we trade out of the first round again, we'll have three. Trade one, get Slay and give him an extension so we can actually have that position locked down and elite again for the next 3-4 years.........and not be discussing how Flowers is costing us playoff games again this time next year.

Well many were saying the same thing about Shaq and he is a Pro Bowl alternate this year, sometimes the fruit has to ripen, this is only year two of him being a CB.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
True Flowers is a young player still learning how to play his position. He's at best adequate to good in coverage but is inconsistent and when so can be beaten. He needs to learn to turn his head around better to avoid PI situations and perhaps get an INT or two.

He is learning and getting better but this season was a step backwards.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Going into the offseason what is the answer for Flowers? He was a bit of a surprise his rookie year. Not great, but serviceable and could build on. This year he was almost a liability.

Do you go into the year, he's the guy.

Do you sign a serviceable veteran to back him up, breathing down his neck incase the mistakes pileup?

Or like scenario two, do you draft a cornerback relatively high to compete for that job?

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":1yww3vkk said:
Going into the offseason what is the answer for Flowers? He was a bit of a surprise his rookie year. Not great, but serviceable and could build on. This year he was almost a liability.

Do you go into the year, he's the guy.

Do you sign a serviceable veteran to back him up, breathing down his neck incase the mistakes pileup?

Or like scenario two, do you draft a cornerback relatively high to compete for that job?

Do we knee jerk about a player learning and sign Cary Williams instead and have a huge salary to deal with.