Trenton Simpson or Noah Sewell

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Assuming our first pick goes to Carter or Anderson (Hopefully) how would you feel about our second 1st rounder going to a Linebacker? Normally I wouldn't, but if one of these guys is there, and it means getting Barton off the field, I'm running up to podium.

Trenton Simpson

Noah Sewell

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Simpson is a bullet, takes great angles, and is always around the ball. Love that guy. It would be hard (in my opinion) to pass up Levis or Richardson, if they were available...but Simpson would be a sweet pick.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think Simpson suits us better. Sewell is to much in the mold of Brooks. Dont need 2 downhill LBers, Simpson would give you some coverage ability. With the last 2 games Carolina & SF almost single handedly beat us with passes to the flats

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Educate me on Sewell please. He looks slow on the YouTube videos( I live in the East). I like Simpson a lot
Hes not the fastest or most fluid thats for sure. For that id give Simpson the nod. But, what he does have is a great core. Violent hands and great upper body strength that helps him almost effortlessly disengage from blocks to make the tackle. How many times have you seen Barton or even Brooks at times be in great position to make a tackle only to get washed out of the play by a olinemen because they were unable to disengage from the block? Noah's ability to regularly shed blocks as well as his excellent vision for what's happening in the backfield helps him put himself in a great position to make the play.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I see Sewell as a 4-3 linebacker if the Hawks want an athletic off ball LB I like Owen Pappoe who can be drafted later my knock on him is he is a little light in the wallet but he could gain 10 lbs with no problem. He did get a Senior Bowl invite. I like to watch the Senior Bowl practices I get a better feel for a player than the actual Senior Bowl and I do expect him to be one of the best performers at the combine

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I see Sewell as a 4-3 linebacker if the Hawks want an athletic off ball LB I like Owen Pappoe who can be drafted later my knock on him is he is a little light in the wallet but he could gain 10 lbs with no problem. He did get a Senior Bowl invite. I like to watch the Senior Bowl practices I get a better feel for a player than the actual Senior Bowl and I do expect him to be one of the best performers at the combine
Interesting. I saw his draft profile and it seemed he would be well suited as ILB in 3-4 scheme. https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/noah-sewell-1318ee73-71db-491d-a63e-a507cfcc34ab/

Couple of 2nd round or later guys that may be decent ILBs, IMO, are Jack Campbell from Iowa - https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/jack-campbell-d213e4cd-9072-4d5b-bd52-05f43d4151c0/ and Tommy Eichenberg from Ohio State - https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tommy-eichenberg-40b4301b-6885-4bec-a8ee-9ce51fce6a0c/

Kinger95

Reaction score
I honestly haven’t seen Clemson play this year but Sewell was terrible the game I saw him again Utah. He’s slow, he was never in the middle of the action, didn’t seem to play with aggression or urgency. And he was always falling back to prevent and it really always caused him to be to far back to help stop the run but wasn’t deep enough to actually stop passing plays. I’m sure he has some hi-lights and probably some better games but he’s not a dawg and he’s definitely not the guy I want

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Interesting. I saw his draft profile and it seemed he would be well suited as ILB in 3-4 scheme. https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/noah-sewell-1318ee73-71db-491d-a63e-a507cfcc34ab/

Couple of 2nd round or later guys that may be decent ILBs, IMO, are Jack Campbell from Iowa - https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/jack-campbell-d213e4cd-9072-4d5b-bd52-05f43d4151c0/ and Tommy Eichenberg from Ohio State - https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tommy-eichenberg-40b4301b-6885-4bec-a8ee-9ce51fce6a0c/
I want to like Campbell...I believe he was conference defensive player of the year (dont quote me tho). On tape, he seemed to have difficulty diagnosing plays, and shedding blocks. He seemed to make plays 5-8 yards past the los. I got too many Barton vibes. I had a small sample size, but these were his highlights. Someone who has seen him play regularly may be able to correct me. I like Eichenburg, and especially Drew Sanders Arkansas.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I honestly haven’t seen Clemson play this year but Sewell was terrible the game I saw him again Utah. He’s slow, he was never in the middle of the action, didn’t seem to play with aggression or urgency. And he was always falling back to prevent and it really always caused him to be to far back to help stop the run but wasn’t deep enough to actually stop passing plays. I’m sure he has some hi-lights and probably some better games but he’s not a dawg and he’s definitely not the guy I want
I think he is a player without a position....Too slow for lb, or de

Fountaindale

Reaction score
Simpson's a little better in coverage and Sewell slightly better against the run. Simpson will get drafted first, but I think they're very close. Sewell could be a good 2nd round value pick.

BASF

Reaction score
Top Billin' with the Sewell video. Makes some good points. Highlights some very good plays.

I'd like to actually watch some of their games to focus on Sewell, but it is hard to torture my eyeballs with those uniform variations.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Would love Noah Sewell as I am a duck homer
No duck homer wants Sewell in the first round. I wouldn’t touch him until the 3-4th round. He constantly runs himself out of position. Vs UNC, the UO backups played better than the starters had all year. Keith Brown may not be as big, but he looks like a smarter and faster player. I bet UO D takes a big jump up just not having Noah and Flowe running themselves out of position all game.

This is probably too brutal of an eval of him, since he was hurt a lot this year. But I observed his constant overrunning of plays for all 3 years.

Last edited:

Fountaindale

Reaction score
No duck homer wants Sewell in the first round. I wouldn’t touch him until the 3-4th round. He constantly runs himself out of position. Vs UNC, the UO backups played better than the starters had all year. Keith Brown may not be as big, but he looks like a smarter and faster player. I bet UO D takes a big jump up just not having Noah and Flowe running themselves out of position all game.

This is probably too brutal of an eval of him, since he was hurt a lot this year. But I observed his constant overrunning of plays for all 3 years.
The comparison between Sewell and Simpson is pretty close, but I'd take Sewell in the second round over Simpson in the first. Yes, Sewell is sometimes overly aggressive and runs himself out of plays. However, I think aggression is a personality trait that can't be added; I'd rather tame the aggression with NFL coaching than try to coax it out of someone.

BASF

Reaction score

Several of the issues mentioned here can be echoed for each of the middle/inside linebackers. I think the standing around part seems to be scheme related as it seems college coaches are worried about their players getting sucked up in play action, so not a lot of them try to shoot gaps immediately. They also seem to play deeper than they should. I questioned whether Henley from Wazzu was a safety with how far back his coaches had him off the line of scrimmage and his smaller build.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

Kelly is a former NFL scout and his analysis holds a lot of weight for me. That said, I watched Sewell twice this year (Cougs and Huskies) and he looked solid in both games.

Rather than comparing Sewell to Simpson, I have been comparing Sewell to Campbell and comparing Simpson to the other nickel backer types (Henley, Sanders, Pappoe). With Barton a FA and Brooks injured, I think the Hawks could use one of each type either from free agency or the draft.