Tyler Lockett

bigskydoc

Reaction score
A healed bone isn't going to effect his speed. Associated ligament injury might.

His build had nothing to do with the injury. Any leg, subjected to that kind of impact, is going to break.

djb28

Reaction score
He is very young. He can recover just fine. I wish him the best. The biggest spark on our Offense.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2076yfb9 said:
Nothing about a compound fracture is career ending, unless there are complications like infection

This may be similar to the Theismann injury, but we have made a ton of advances in surgical technique since his injury.

Theismann was 36, and was placed in a cast. Lockett is 24, and will get an intramedullary nail fixation. This will markedly improve his chances of getting good tibial union.

The prognosis for most atheletes is about as bad/good as an ACL tear, and only that bad because of the risk of infection. The way the Lockett plays, an ACL tear would be harder to recover from.

If he heals without an infection setting in, his chances of full recovery are much better than from an ACL.

All of this assumes no associated ligament injury, which we don't know yet.

Great information. Thanks

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1tomedvu said:
Nothing about a compound fracture is career ending, unless there are complications like infection

This may be similar to the Theismann injury, but we have made a ton of advances in surgical technique since his injury.

Theismann was 36, and was placed in a cast. Lockett is 24, and will get an intramedullary nail fixation. This will markedly improve his chances of getting good tibial union.

The prognosis for most atheletes is about as bad/good as an ACL tear, and only that bad because of the risk of infection. The way the Lockett plays, an ACL tear would be harder to recover from.

If he heals without an infection setting in, his chances of full recovery are much better than from an ACL.

It's nice having a REAL doctor on .net.

Thanks for the info. :2thumbs:

My heart breaks for Tyler, he is a baller, and seems like a wonderful kid.

GLio14

Reaction score
He definitely has a shot of coming back 100%. I mean, look at that Kevin Ware kid from Louisville basketball. If he can return from an injury like that, of course Lockett can come back.

I was devastated seeing Lockett like that. My heart sank to the floor. Given how well he was playing, the kid had such excitement on his face every day and now that's put to a halt. He'll be back though. But it may be a while until we see him.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Paul George of the Indiana Pacers came back from his and he is doing well with it.TLock will be back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rjdriver

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3afnqafw said:

Reading this post was my first Christmas present of the day. Thanks Doc.

Stuff like this really brings perspective to the sport. I don't think I will call a player greedy for wanting more coin right then and now. I am praying for this kid, who doesn't absolutely love Tyler L?

OP
OP
GeekHawk

GeekHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":22wxszzi said:

A hopeful aspect compared to my foot flopping around like that is that his calcaneous (heel bone) was not crushed, and his foot wasn't torn open at the heel. My leg hurts where the plates/screws are, but it's mostly the bottom of the heel and the ankle that give me problems. Like I said though, that gave me flashbacks that I don't really want to re-experience.

matisse28

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc

David J. Chao, MD added:

Expect @TDLockett12 full return.
May not be 100% at start of 2017 season. Horrific injury, but good prognosis.

@ProFootballDoc Merry Christmas Doc! Please tell me there is hope 4 Tyler Lockett to return to football. Was at the game. Heartbroken 4 him

Optimus25

Reaction score
I spent an off season in doom and gloom mode due to Jimmy's injury, so not even going there.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
matisse28":2cpliwlj said:
https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc

David J. Chao, MD added:

Expect @TDLockett12 full return.
May not be 100% at start of 2017 season. Horrific injury, but good prognosis.

@ProFootballDoc Merry Christmas Doc! Please tell me there is hope 4 Tyler Lockett to return to football. Was at the game. Heartbroken 4 him

This is encouraging, but who is this David Chao? Has he seen the X-rays?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Chao is an orthopedic doctor who has been a NFL sideline doc in the past. No need to see the films on this one. It's a straight forward injury that should have Lockett back by training camp (not at 100%), unless there are complications.

Very different injury from a foot plant injury with calcaneal damage. That would likely be a career ender.

rjdriver

Reaction score
bigskydoc":12xh83ao said:
Chao is an orthopedic doctor who has been a NFL sideline doc in the past. No need to see the films on this one. It's a straight forward injury that should have Lockett back by training camp (not at 100%), unless there are complications.

Very different injury from a foot plant injury with calcaneal damage. That would likely be a career ender.

So Doc,

What exactly was the injury and was it indeed a company fracture. I've had severe ankle injuries /problems in the past and turned away when they showed the replays, because it gives me the heebie jeebies. What bone broke and where? Has there been an official statement?

Once again, thanks for the great info..

bigskydoc

Reaction score
As I've posted earlier, it is almost certainly a compound, midshaft fracture of both tibia and fibula.

It may be comminuted, but likely not to a degree that would impair his chance of a good tibial union.

Assuming no complications (infection, compartment syndrome requiring fasciotomy etc), he has a good prognosis.

There is a possibility of ligament damage in the knee and ankle, which would impair his ability to recover quickly.

This is all based on watching the injury happen, and a fairly good understanding of how bones break and heal.

I have no access to his medical records or information other than what has been released by the team.

With this type of injury, you can get a pretty good idea of exactly what happened just from watching it happen.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He will be back but I don't think it will be until 2018 just because it is so late in 2016.

London12

Reaction score
sdog1981":3mz29cnk said:
He will be back but I don't think it will be until 2018 just because it is so late in 2016.
You've got a couple sources predicting he'll return next year. What makes you think it'll be 2018?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pharoah Brown of the Ducks had a similar injury, there was talk that he might not walk without a cane again (he had ligament damage as well). He missed a full season and then came back to play this year. You could tell that he wasnt quite as athletic as he was before, but he was still pretty effective. I'm sure Lockett has a lot of hard work ahead of him but he can come back if he wants it bad enough.

matisse28

Reaction score
Bob Condotta (Seattle Times) has great updates on Lockett and the Seahawks in general on his Twitter account.

Bob Condotta on Lockett, 40min ago:

--
Pete Carroll says on @710ESPNSeattle radio show that Tyler Lockett has already had surgery. Calls it a "great surgery.''
Says in 4-6 weeks Lockett could be "up and moving and working and all that.''
Carroll says Lockett broke both the fibula and tibia. Had surgery late Saturday night.
--

Crizilla

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1hzalnh9 said:
The_Z_Man":1hzalnh9 said:
Worse than Theismann in my opinion.

My heart is broken. I don't even care about the rest of this season.

Not worse. Theismann's was a compound fracture.

pretty sure this was a compound fracture as well. If there was blood...good chance.