Uncalled facemask on Lockett

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seymour":1kzcnmed said:
DJrmb":1kzcnmed said:
jammerhawk":1kzcnmed said:
So what is the explanation of the referee on the play simply ignoring a very blatant facemask penalty? Is that confirmation bias, zero benefit of the doubt for Seattle, or simply awful refereeing?
If you look at the video of the play I posted he was behind Lockett. He may have assumed that the defender grabbed him by his jersey/pads and swung him down. A combination of bad refereeing and confirmation bias (he saw what he wanted to see, or what he already assumed to be true).

Also I think "zero benefit of the doubt" is a part of confirmation bias... They kind of all are coming into play with these crews refereeing our games this year.

May have assumed?

I think you need to look long and hard at that pic in post 1 again.

There is nothing left for assumption, he is staring right at what you see in that pic. Also, jersey / pads do not make your head swing around like that.
P2mWEIz

Look at where the ref is and his angle. I don't think it's hard to conclude that he could not see the facemask at that point. Who knows what happens after that. Maybe his eyes wondered down field to see where he would go because it looked like an arm tackle that Lockett would break out of. Or maybe he was more focused on what he thought was a "pick play" closer to the middle of the field. I doubt that if he clearly saw it he would actively decide he would not throw the flag. He may have thought he saw it but decided not to call it because he was not 100% sure (which again plays into a personal bias, in order for Seattle to get a call it has to be 100% clear where they might give it to another team when they are "pretty sure" but not 100%).

BTW if you're talking about the head looking directly at the facemask in the 1st picture, you might want to look again yourself. Refs don't wear blue hats. That was someone else's angle not the refs...

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
DJrmb":13g00xmb said:
Seymour":13g00xmb said:
DJrmb":13g00xmb said:
jammerhawk":13g00xmb said:
So what is the explanation of the referee on the play simply ignoring a very blatant facemask penalty? Is that confirmation bias, zero benefit of the doubt for Seattle, or simply awful refereeing?
If you look at the video of the play I posted he was behind Lockett. He may have assumed that the defender grabbed him by his jersey/pads and swung him down. A combination of bad refereeing and confirmation bias (he saw what he wanted to see, or what he already assumed to be true).

Also I think "zero benefit of the doubt" is a part of confirmation bias... They kind of all are coming into play with these crews refereeing our games this year.

May have assumed?

There is nothing left for assumption, he is staring right at what you see in that pic. Also, jersey / pads do not make your head swing around like that.
P2mWEIz

Look at where the ref is and his angle. I don't think it's hard to conclude that he could not see the facemask at that point. Who knows what happens after that. Maybe his eyes wondered down field to see where he would go because it looked like an arm tackle that Lockett would break out of. Or maybe he was more focused on what he thought was a "pick play" closer to the middle of the field. I doubt that if he clearly saw it he would actively decide he would not throw the flag. He may have thought he saw it but decided not to call it because he was not 100% sure (which again plays into a personal bias, in order for Seattle to get a call it has to be 100% clear where they might give it to another team when they are "pretty sure" but not 100%).

BTW if you're talking about the head looking directly at the facemask in the 1st picture, you might want to look again yourself. Refs don't wear blue hats. That was someone else's angle not the refs...

You've seen Superbowl 40 right? You don't need to see it. It had ALL THE ELEMENTS OF.....

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Optimus25":qvvlyhli said:
Strangely enough, since I have the Ticket, I saw an even worse example of an uncalled facemask earlier in the day. Of all the teams to NOT draw the flag, it was the Pats at home. I think it was their RB White who was absolutely ROPED down for a tackle for loss by Suh, straight up by the mask, and it went uncalled.

Sometimes the flag reflex just gives out I guess.

Saw that one too.

The biggest issue is the amount of ticky tack crap we get called for. I am cool with "letting them play" to an extent, but don't let our guys get mugged while we breath on their guys and get called.

But as was said earlier, we brought this upon ourselves. Refs know who the leaders in penalties are just as we know who throw the most flags on holding or pi etc. When in doubt, it's Seattle they always get flagged I might as well throw it.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":3lsuo8dj said:
DJrmb":3lsuo8dj said:
Seymour":3lsuo8dj said:
DJrmb":3lsuo8dj said:

May have assumed?

P2mWEIz

You've seen Superbowl 40 right? You don't need to see it. It had ALL THE ELEMENTS OF.....
Yes I have and I think the same thing can explain calls there too. It's the human element of the game (bias, feelings, assumptions, and desired outcomes). Do you really think that there is a conspiracy by the NFL where they are mandating referees to fix the games??? I think that's a lot more "out there" than the possibility that some teams have pissed off the refs and therefore get games called unfairly...

If you do a little research there are a ton of articles coming out about the human element in games effecting the fairness of competition. It's human nature. It's not just in sports either. They have found that all those "rate your employee" type surveys that people take for "performance reviews" of their staff are all skewed with bad data. You can't take people's natural bias and feelings out of decisions no matter how hard you try. It's psychology.

Here's an article (not specifically sports related) if you're interested in reading more on people's natural tendencies and bias and making decisions and judgements:
https://hbr.org/2015/02/most-hr-data-is-bad-data

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1yugxvau said:
seahawkfreak":1yugxvau said:
Do people proof read their posts? Alright good, guess they eventual do. Absolute bogus non call!

*Eventually

:sarcasm_on:

LOL. Doesn't mean I didn't proof read it. Just did a terrible job.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":2ak6bbll said:
Sgt Largent":2ak6bbll said:
DJrmb":2ak6bbll said:
Seymour":2ak6bbll said:
May have assumed?

P2mWEIz

Yes I have and I think the same thing can explain calls there too. It's the human element of the game (bias, feelings, assumptions, and desired outcomes). Do you really think that there is a conspiracy by the NFL where they are mandating referees to fix the games??? I think that's a lot more "out there" than the possibility that some teams have pissed off the refs and therefore get games called unfairly...

If you do a little research there are a ton of articles coming out about the human element in games effecting the fairness of competition. It's human nature. It's not just in sports either. They have found that all those "rate your employee" type surveys that people take for "performance reviews" of their staff are all skewed with bad data. You can't take people's natural bias and feelings out of decisions no matter how hard you try. It's psychology.

Here's an article (not specifically sports related) if you're interested in reading more on people's natural tendencies and bias and making decisions and judgements:
https://hbr.org/2015/02/most-hr-data-is-bad-data

The NFL may not “fix” games, but they sure as heck try to “steer” games to a desired result at times.

I find it quite amusing and telling how the *allas Cowboys line USED ago get away with murder when it came to offensive holding calls. Since Jerruh has pissed of the commish, they are starting to call holding on his O-line (see Dak’s TD getting called back last week as exhibit A) That would NOT have happened last year.

Also *allas opponents since Jerruh popped off, their offensive lines HAVE NOT had offensive holding called against them.

Coincidence???
Not likely!

chris98251

Reaction score
That was one ref and probably the line judge, you have a backfield Umpire as well and a ref that watches from the back field, when the ball is thrown they look for holds and blocks in the back as well as cut blocks. When that catch was made I am sure more then one official was watching that reception for penalties, juggling, in bounds etc. It was not in traffic so it was not obscured, it was not a incidental facemask where he grabbed and let loose, he turned his head completely and went to the ground.

They didn't miss nothing, they refused to make the call and throw a flag on the 49ers at that juncture.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":332jenxb said:
That was one ref and probably the line judge, you have a backfield Umpire as well and a ref that watches from the back field,———————-.

They didn't miss nothing, they refused to make the call and throw a flag on the 49ers at that juncture.

If that is so then the games are not being called fairly or evenly. Is it point shaving, setting up competitive pretences, or simply and baldly setting up the fix? We all watched XL and wondered with suspicion; but you cannot explain the reality that every team that plays Seattle has fewer penalties called against it in those games than their statistical norm by a very substantial differential , while Seattle has the most penalties of any team in the league. Confirmation bias? OK? Within that there is the admission that the games are not being called fairly or evenly. On that play we need to be reminded they also called a very dubious OPI against the team too. Rewatch it it all happens just before the 2 minute warning for the 1st half. Upon examination that referee saw less of that play than the obvious face mask that he failed to call or intentionally ignored.

We complain here of the penalties and blame the coaching staff but despite those penalties which have happened increasingly since the team became successful the team has consistently overcome rarely. This when the team is giving up huge yardage and very signicant lost plays and points to whichever opponent the league through this supposed confirmation bias helps out. It is not a level playing field or certainly doesn’t seem so.

On Sunday wait watch and see if the zebras annoint Philly with the blessing of an easy 100 or 200 yards and lets them get away with things the Hawks get called for.

It’s hard enough to win in the NFL without having to beat the referees too.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
How bout the hit on Wilson while he slides
Refs just don't like us cuz if that were any other QB that would've been flagged

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Both of those were obvious and right in front of the official. They flat out choose to call what they want to keep games close. It's pathetic.

HawkDabz

Reaction score
Its even worse when you see Lockett pulling at his facemask to the ref, kind of showing how the hell did you not call that?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
gowazzu02":145rbqx3 said:
Optimus25":145rbqx3 said:
Strangely enough, since I have the Ticket, I saw an even worse example of an uncalled facemask earlier in the day. Of all the teams to NOT draw the flag, it was the Pats at home. I think it was their RB White who was absolutely ROPED down for a tackle for loss by Suh, straight up by the mask, and it went uncalled.

Sometimes the flag reflex just gives out I guess.

Saw that one too.

The biggest issue is the amount of ticky tack crap we get called for. I am cool with "letting them play" to an extent, but don't let our guys get mugged while we breath on their guys and get called.

But as was said earlier, we brought this upon ourselves. Refs know who the leaders in penalties are just as we know who throw the most flags on holding or pi etc. When in doubt, it's Seattle they always get flagged I might as well throw it.

Just no with this.

Seattle does not deserve to have games called differently due to their "style of play" or whatever bogus excuse we are using to justify it.

Games are to be called straight up as they unfold, pure and simple. Having an unlevel playing field is never justified, regardless of how your team chooses to play the game. End of story.

Lets stop this narrative once and for all. We are giving it life for goodness sake.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Refs should never impact the game, and it has happened WAY too much this season. Not just to the Hawks, but around the league.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This forum amazes me sometimes. Serious question to some people. Do you guys actually think officials purposely make calls that go against us? Either meaning they have some kind of grudge against us or the fix is in?

Obviously it was a bad call, but simply a human mistake.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
In certain games, to keep the score close, absolutely. Didn't want to believe that, but it has become pretty clear that they do what they can to keep the games close.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
DJrmb":11u9izw3 said:
It's even worse when you watch the whole "tackle". It's not like it was an inadvertent facemask where he lets go and grabs something else to finish the tackle. He violently yanks Lockett down twisting his neck...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/935332412795613184[/tweet]

He could have been seriously hurt on that play. How could the ref have not seen that?? I was at the game and it happened right in front of us. Even the Niner fans looked down at that one.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1dnvn582 said:
This forum amazes me sometimes. Serious question to some people. Do you guys actually think officials purposely make calls that go against us? Either meaning they have some kind of grudge against us or the fix is in?

Obviously it was a bad call, but simply a human mistake.

Interesting that Seattle has a disproportionate amount of "human mistakes", while our opponents seem to benefit from a shocking LACK of "human mistakes" year after year after year after year.....check the stats my friend.

I'm sure its just random coincidence, right? :roll:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":3r3vp9np said:
Seymour":3r3vp9np said:
DJrmb":3r3vp9np said:
jammerhawk":3r3vp9np said:

May have assumed?

P2mWEIz

Well, they were 100% clear in their minds that they were going to throw a BIAS flag on the Seahawks.
Preconceived Bias = they only see what they WANT TO SEE= Inept = Dishonest.

253hawk

Reaction score
AKNFidel":1xjb571c said:
That’s 2 clear facemask noncalls that were pretty blatantly missed this year. Opening game against Green Bay were Lane was takenthe the ground by his facemask, but Lane was ejected and no penalty on GB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And the one on Russ during the first series of the Cardinals game, right in front of the head ref.