Unger's terrible snaps?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
This goes back even to last year. Maybe Russell just likes it low and to the right. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Something is not right with Unger...on top of the bad snaps, he flat out looks below average this year. I know he's a smart guy and means a lot in regards to protections, but his physical play has been pretty poor IMO.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Didn't you know? He's got squid-fingers. Try throwing back a snap if you got squids instead of fingers. Jeeze!

Tokadub

Reaction score
I'm really glad people are discussing this. I was wondering the same thing what's up with all the HORRIBLE snaps?!

If Russel didn't have such big hands and athleticism he'd have already dropped a few of those most likely.

Even if he doesn't bobble the ball, if it's a bad snap I think this has an extremely negative impact on our offense.

1) It forces Russel to stand a little closer to the line at the start of the play = less distance from the defense.

2) It is likely causing Russel to have be extra focused, and one might say even distracted by having to play like a soccer goalie for every snap. I believe Russel is an extremely focused and highly intelligent QB, but this just HAS to make at least a little dent in his mental offensive flow. I would personally be pretty pissed off if I was him but he's likely got much better character than me haha.

3) It's causing him to look very low and he's already short for a QB, he is losing vision of the defense and his receivers. I believe at the NFL level the best QB's are 100% in the zone for the play like reading a book. These snaps are causing Russel to skip the first few words and then speed read the rest in really small font.

4) Similar to having to run closer to the defense this also causes him to spend more time backtracking afterwards. Ideally he should be able to catch the ball in position to go, now he has to run forwards and backwards constantly losing valuable time. He needs the initial spacing to have time to elude guys, with these crappy snaps he's forced much tighter into the pocket than he would like to be. This is probably the reason he's taking more sacks too he doesn't have time to position himself to see all the defenders so well like he did last season.

5) This could also be part of the reason why we aren't calling more plays to get the ball out of Russel's hands much faster. It's kinda hard to do these quick pass plays when 50% of the time the snaps are delaying Russel's progressions. These kind of plays can come down to milliseconds for success or failure some of these snaps are costing over a second.

Sturm

Reaction score
It's a good thing our QB is short. Can you imagine what a pain in the butt it would be for a 6' 4" QB to have to field each snap at their feet every time they go into shotgun...?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
obviously Unger things Wilson a lot shorter than he is.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Its hard to believe Unger was an all pro last year based on his play this season. Between the terrible snaps and the alarming amount of blown assignments by the line as a whole, he really isn't giving the team much considering he was never overwhelmingly physically talented.

Remember that everyone always says that Unger is so valuable because he is so good with his line calls and leading the O line. I just heard an interview with him talking about how often the line is missing assignments. That is either on Max or on Cable. There is only 1 player on this line that you can really forgive at this point for consistently missing an assignment and that would be 7th round rookie Michael Bowie. Everyone else has plenty of experience. McQuistan is playing out of position, but he has been around for long enough to know the calls front and back.

Atradees

Reaction score
To a man there is a correlation between his bad snaps and when he is getting his A** handed to him by a decent Dline. Thats my two cents.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Bobblehead":h6a4pooi said:
obviously Unger things Wilson a lot shorter than he is.

When you look at things between your legs they always appear smaller than they are.

SC