Unpopular opinion alert: Marshawn Lynch is being immature

v1rotv2

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of people pointing out that's it's in every player contract that they must make themselves available to the media. Well if you want to go by the letter of the law then you should be satisfied. Marshawn is listening to their questions and responding as he sees fit. Since no one on this forum has actually seen the wording in those contracts and the fact that Marshawn has not been find again he must be complying with the letter of the law. So I think the immaturity thing is not on Marshawn but on those that stubbornly will not let it go.

Grow up.

kearly

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":222zg10m said:
Exactly. I mean, growing up in his privileged life on the pussywillow streets of Oakland, who buy's ML's crap? He's clearly a thespian with his acclaimed roles in Beacon Plumbing Ads. His monologue in the commercial where he is pointing to his ring is legendary.

Dude...those are not gang signs. Read about his charity. Your post ls laughable.

I think somewhere along the line a connection was not made.

HawkDabz

Reaction score
I think on Marshawns Next Media Interview his catch line should be, "You Mad Bro". Haha that would be awesome to say to the media.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
kearly":2ymxwjax said:
NJSeaHawk":2ymxwjax said:
Exactly. I mean, growing up in his privileged life on the pussywillow streets of Oakland, who buy's ML's crap? He's clearly a thespian with his acclaimed roles in Beacon Plumbing Ads. His monologue in the commercial where he is pointing to his ring is legendary.

Dude...those are not gang signs. Read about his charity. Your post ls laughable.

Kip my post was directed at ZagHawk. My delivery was convuluted, however.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think the NFL needs to mandate face time with the press. If they eliminated the mandatory interviews the press would still get plenty of them. Interviews are a way for players to get free publicity and build their fame.

It wasn't exactly a routine interview, but it was an interview that launched Richard Sherman's brand.

Being a good interview can also help pad your resume for a media job after retirement, and not every player leaves the game with $100 million in the bank. There will always be plenty of players who view interviews as an opportunity, not a burden.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":28let8zy said:
NJSeaHawk":28let8zy said:

Yea, Im pretty sure you guys completely agree.

NJSeaHawk lost something in translation.

kearly

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":30fnzryy said:
kearly":30fnzryy said:
NJSeaHawk":30fnzryy said:

Kip my post was directed at ZagHawk. My delivery was convuluted, however.

Makes sense now. I'll carry on.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1ay3vof6 said:
Is anyone here personally inconvenienced by Marshawn not answering reporter questions?

I am. It's time lost that I could be watching Marshawn's highlights.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is that people seem to believe that because Marshawn seemed to change his behavior, it could not possibly be social anxiety disorder?

What if the very punishment that Marshawn takes on the field (which is substantial), is the very thing that contributed to his behavior?

It would not be entirely out of the realm of possibility that someone who sustained massive punishment and possibly head injuries would start displaying 'eccentric' behavior over time and even developing disorders like panic, social anxiety, or something similar.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1cgfkcth said:
Sgt. Largent":1cgfkcth said:
The league is never going to cave on this issue, because it'd open up a can of worms for every other player and coach who doesn't like talking to the media to claim they also have anxiety issues.........and Belicheat would be first in line for that nonsense.

Here's how I'd fix this problem. I'd tell Marshawn to choose a local reporter of his liking, and let them sit in a room alone after the game to get quotes. That way it's one on one, quiet with no crush of reporters making Marshawn uncomfortable.

If Lynch truly does has some sort of social anxiety issue, then he'd say yes to this. If he says no, then he's just being difficult.

Marshawn tried that and got fined. IIRC, the rules state that players have to be available to the media at large after every game and after practice once a week...unless they're deemed a "star" player - then it's twice a week.

I know, I'm saying the league should concede to this for players who claim to have social anxiety.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3jfgyr2n said:
Hawkstorian":3jfgyr2n said:
Is anyone here personally inconvenienced by Marshawn not answering reporter questions?

So I guess you never give your opinion online about anything that doesn't personally inconvenience u ever.

Just trying to get if people actually care, or if it's just some principle. I understand how some reporters feel put out, but a lot of reporters don't care. I think it's a small number of press who make a thing out of it, and I don't think very many fans would even know or care if those few reporters didn't make a stink about it. It's the most overblown Seahawk story line since "Shaun Alexander smiles too much."

Sac

Reaction score
Lynch, with his one word/one phrase answers, IS doing what's required of him by his contract. The only thing it stipulates is that he make himself available to the media. He is NOT required to give any actual answers.

I really don't know what you're so upset about, therealjohncarlson.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
v1rotv2":178ifbh5 said:
There seems to be a lot of people pointing out that's it's in every player contract that they must make themselves available to the media. Well if you want to go by the letter of the law then you should be satisfied. Marshawn is listening to their questions and responding as he sees fit. Since no one on this forum has actually seen the wording in those contracts and the fact that Marshawn has not been find again he must be complying with the letter of the law. So I think the immaturity thing is not on Marshawn but on those that stubbornly will not let it go.

Grow up.
Actually, the cba requires them to comply with media policy which I have read and was linked above. It is indirectly incorporated by reference into player contracts but they mud comply with. You can read that media policy also. And I agree with you. Those that won't let it go clearly don't want to read it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":jfl0sxtj said:
therealjohncarlson":jfl0sxtj said:
Marshawns boss does, that's the whole bloody point. I don't get why people don't see this. Marshawns job isn't to decide whether he should be answering questions or not, his job is to answer them because it's in his contract and his boss told him to

I actually had something very similar happen to me at work that closely resembles Lynch's refusal to talk to the press.

I work for a very large company, some 30,000 employees world wide, and we have a company website that, among other things, has a section that has the profiles of all salaried employees, including a place for a picture. We are supposed to answer a bunch of questions about our background and upload a recent picture and post it on our profile page. It's a nice feature for those folks that are looking to put themselves in front of the right people as it serves as a resume, but I'm 60 years old and less than 2 years from retirement, so I opted not to upload my picture, thinking that any picture I have is my own personal property and if they wanted a picture they could find one they've taken and upload it themselves. I am not actively seeking promotion so I didn't see what the sense was in posting my picture on my profile page and that it was a waste of time.

Well, I ended up on a very short list that went all the way back to our corporate offices and before I knew it, I had both my boss and my boss's boss get into my face and tell me I'd better do as I was told or else. A small part of me wondered if I should refuse and see if they'd be willing to fire a long time employee over something as silly as not posting his picture on what is supposed to be our personal page.

Eventually I decided it wasn't worth it so I uploaded an old picture of me with a friend at a Seahawks game and it seemed to satisfy the cone heads. I can identify with Lynch and the rule he is fighting, but in the end, like me and everyone else that works for a living, he is obligated to do anything the boss says unless it is unsafe, immoral, or illegal.
I would think it to be unethical, and just plain chickenshit for anyone to brow-beat or THREATEN someone into doing something that goes against their own better judgment, and privacy.
My work spoke for me.......It WAS "All About That Action"
I am gregarious, and pretty much an open book, but I do respect the rights and feelings of others that are less extroverted.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":s5q45wk1 said:
I think a lot of people forget his quote to Dion last year.

"Talkin' ain't never won me nothing"
or very similar.
I'm not even convinced it's 100% the media that he don't like.
IMHO it's his philosophy, and I respect it.
THIS^

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":4zzuiokz said:
Like I said earlier, If Marshawn Lynch were a Niner, I doubt nearly as many people would be all up in arms at moments notice to defend his honor in this regards. I love Marshawn as any other Hawk fan should, but for the sake of argument I'm taking the blue and green colored glasses off.
Well, Good For You,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but, who gives a shit?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":26yaeh81 said:
ZagHawk":26yaeh81 said:
Hawkstorian":26yaeh81 said:

So I guess you never give your opinion online about anything that doesn't personally inconvenience u ever.

Just trying to get if people actually care, or if it's just some principle. I understand how some reporters feel put out, but a lot of reporters don't care. I think it's a small number of press who make a thing out of it, and I don't think very many fans would even know or care if those few reporters didn't make a stink about it. It's the most overblown Seahawk story line since "Shaun Alexander smiles too much."

So I'll say this...

Do I care if he's not talking to the media...not really. Do I wish he did, yeah, I'd LOVE to more about who Marshawn the person is than just The Beast. Do I think the NFL should leave him alone? not really. It is a slippery slope where if they leave him alone or exempt him from the media just because he clearly hates it, why would he get special treatment vs other NFL players who also may feel the same way towards the media. And as fans, we do eat the media interviews.

BUT I do think if the media does bother him as much as it seems to the point where he may actually have some kind of social disorder. He should try to get diagnosed so he can become exempt from this or at least the NFL now becomes bound to try and make this requirement easier for him. The way he is choosing to handle the situation is immature IMO, BUT it will not by any means stop me from rooting for him on Sunday. I don't see anyone making petitions for Bill Belichick.