UPDATE - Sherman Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I Heard someone the other day say that Sherman would likely be released so that they could re-contract him at a more realistic salary than what he would’ve earned had we kept him on. I guess it’s a wait-and-see, but I don’t see Sherman being gone for long, maybe just wishful thinking.

11 million was a lot to spend on a player that wasn’t probably going to be able to play in 2018. Seattle has some serious cap problems to work around, with trying to reconstruct a team that is a true contender in its division. I say let’s give this one little time to play out and see if we don’t get Richard back at a more workable price.
Watching John Schneider at work these past years, I would guess he’s going to wait and see what other teams might be interested in paying Richard, in trying to pick him up, and then have Richard re-communicate with him and offer him something comparable to remain a Seahawk.

I just heard John say the other day in an interview he thought that Richard would retire a Seahawk and that his number would ultimately be added to the other greats in the teams history.
I hope this is how it plays out, I am a big time Sherman fan on and off the field. I’m sure this is a really tough deal for him as well, a super star with an ego to match, but even he must realize that there are a lot of concerns about his level of play following rehab.

Most say he will never be able to play at the level he has in the past. That doesn’t mean he won’t still be a force to be reckoned with and his experience will compensate for a lot, not to mention the spirit he brings to the field every time he takes it. I could see Seattle resigning him at half of his 11 million, and stick with him thru his rehab and play him for as long as he can still be effective.

Go “SEAHOX” ! (my new license plate) :)

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
pacific101":29myw6oi said:
I Heard someone the other day say that Sherman would likely be released so that they could re-contract him at a more realistic salary than what he would’ve earned had we kept him on. I guess it’s a wait-and-see, but I don’t see Sherman being gone for long, maybe just wishful thinking.

11 million was a lot to spend on a player that wasn’t probably going to be able to play in 2018. Seattle has some serious cap problems to work around, with trying to reconstruct a team that is a true contender in its division. I say let’s give this one little time to play out and see if we don’t get Richard back at a more workable price.
Watching John Schneider at work these past years, I would guess he’s going to wait and see what other teams might be interested in paying Richard, in trying to pick him up, and then have Richard re-communicate with him and offer him something comparable to remain a Seahawk.

I just heard John say the other day in an interview he thought that Richard would retire a Seahawk and that his number would ultimately be added to the other greats in the teams history.
I hope this is how it plays out, I am a big time Sherman fan on and off the field. I’m sure this is a really tough deal for him as well, a super star with an ego to match, but even he must realize that there are a lot of concerns about his level of play following rehab.

Most say he will never be able to play at the level he has in the past. That doesn’t mean he won’t still be a force to be reckoned with and his experience will compensate for a lot, not to mention the spirit he brings to the field every time he takes it. I could see Seattle resigning him at half of his 11 million, and stick with him thru his rehab and play him for as long as he can still be effective.

I think he signs with SF. It seems from sources that it is close. Nothing like Richard Sherman picking off Russ to seal a game at clink. Right? That would suck a lot more then just losing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":25c069wu said:
Nothing like Richard Sherman picking off Russ to seal a game at clink. Right? That would suck a lot more then just losing.
I'd feel sick to my stomach if that happened.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2iquo40c said:
pacific101":2iquo40c said:

I think he signs with SF. It seems from sources that it is close. Nothing like Richard Sherman picking off Russ to seal a game at clink. Right? That would suck a lot more then just losing.

Or you know, nothing like Russell throwing a bomb over Sherman to Baldwin to beat SF in Santa Clara

chris98251

Reaction score
Sherman as his own agent has to visit and negotiate with the teams himself, being injured they have to do an assessment of his recovery. He then has to take offers and situations and weigh them against what Seattle will or could offer, I am sure he has a baseline there already. This could take a few days which works for John and Pete since F.A. I believe starts the 14th.

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":301i5z82 said:
hawkfannj":301i5z82 said:
Is what it is . All things have an ending next man up!
Can we get to the ending of pete and co ?

So you're pining a return to the glory days of past Seahawks coaching staffs like Tom Flores, Jim Mora Jr., and Dennis Erickson? Yeah, Pete Carroll is kind of a lightweight compared to all the Super Bowls those teams won. Flores has a Super Bowl ring, after all. Oops, it was with the Raiders.

OK, so Mike Holmgren wasn't too shabby once Matt Hasselbeck figured out the offense. In any case, our chances are way better to get back to the top with Pete & Co. He did it here once, almost twice. He can do it again.

That Dan Quinn Falcons coach guy from Pete's coaching tree did OK too, getting Falcons to SB and "shoulda" won. Didn't that Gus Bradley fellow from Pete's tree built Jacksonville's D that was on display this year? Not his doing?

Historically and statistically, the end of Pete & Co is unlikely to be an improvement. Enjoy what we have been lucky to have, for as long as it lasts.

Pete is part of Bill Walsh's coaching tree. Not a bad mentor. Bill Walsh was about building and sustaining and renewing organizational excellence. Pete took notes. We know he's also been paying attention to the Patriots. If anyone can get us back to the top, it's Pete 2.1. Pete 2.1??? Yeah, new version. "New, improved, now with 40% more cap awareness."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Steve2222":pr2nd6c0 said:
Grahamhawker":pr2nd6c0 said:
Steve2222":pr2nd6c0 said:
Grahamhawker":pr2nd6c0 said:
I'd love to know exactly how the meetings with Sherman went prior to his release.

I don't know a lot about recovery from achilles injuries, but I think if any player can recover to return to a high level of play, it's Sherman. I'd be feeling better with gambling on trading Thomas or Wilson honestly.

Thank god you’re not the decision maker. Taking an aging CB coming off a devastating injury over an All Pro safety and young elite franchise QB.

Jesus....

Mine was an overly-emotional response, but that's also assuming we could get some value in return.

All that has happened so far with these two recent moves is losing a perennially productive DL and the best CB of this generation ( I know...age, injuries, cap space) for basically zip in return. The FO better pull off some magic, or years of mediocrity are all I'm seeing.

He’s not the generational corner anymore. And Sherman was on the trade block before he was released an no one bit. He’s still a starting CB, but he’s not a Top 10 corner anymore. It’s time to move on. Stop getting so emotionally attached to our players.

Now I hope Avril and Kam retire. Keep clearing cap space.
He was on the trading block not because of his play on the field, it was because he publicly gave a POS “reporter” the red ass and called out his OC for his gross incompetence.

Oh and by the way Kam ain’t retiring. Staying hurt and not playing he is still going to collect millions, vs retiring and getting $0.
What would do if you were in Kam’s shoes, retire and take zero, or not and still take your guaranteed contract worth millions. Call me crazy, but I’m taking the guaranteed money.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Steve2222":25kom8dk said:
Shanegotyou11":25kom8dk said:
pacific101":25kom8dk said:

Or you know, nothing like Russell throwing a bomb over Sherman to Baldwin to beat SF in Santa Clara

I'll take that!

Sources say Sherman about to sign 3 year deal with niners.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":mvatbncr said:
hawknation2018":mvatbncr said:

Disgusting. Sherman will play lights out vs us. Trust me.

No he won’t. I guarantee Russell wants to beat him more than Sherm wants to beat Seattle. Additionally, Doug is a dog too. He knows what’s at stake lining up against Sherm.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Steve2222":2hu6t222 said:
Shanegotyou11":2hu6t222 said:
hawknation2018":2hu6t222 said:

No he won’t. I guarantee Russell wants to beat him more than Sherm wants to beat Seattle. Additionally, Doug is a dog too. He knows what’s at stake lining up against Sherm.

Bro, you have been in every thread defending Russ. I love it but at same time Sherman will prove a point. He will. At least this yr vs us.

Sticky thread? Make side bet?

And I hope you are right.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":slv3dcrp said:
Steve2222":slv3dcrp said:
Shanegotyou11":slv3dcrp said:
hawknation2018":slv3dcrp said:

Bro, you have been in every thread defending Russ. I love it but at same time Sherman will prove a point. He will. At least this yr vs us.

I have because everyone’s freaking out that we let go of Sherman like he’s 24 in his prime and healthy. He’s not that player anymore. Let’s see how he does without ET over the top.

And yeah I’m defending Russell, because our moronic fanbase cherishs a declining cornerback over an elite QB. Russ and Doug are every bit as dogs as Sherman is. You don’t think those two will have pride going up against Sherman? I’ll take our guys any day over Sherm.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Gonna' be 30 soon, coming off TWO Achilles surgeries. He wasn't gonna' be worth 11, let alone the 13 he could get in Santa Clara.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Steve2222":1f7zad5q said:
Shanegotyou11":1f7zad5q said:
Steve2222":1f7zad5q said:
Shanegotyou11":1f7zad5q said:

I have because everyone’s freaking out that we let go of Sherman like he’s 24 in his prime and healthy. He’s not that player anymore. Let’s see how he does without ET over the top.

And yeah I’m defending Russell, because our moronic fanbase cherishs a declining cornerback over an elite QB. Russ and Doug are every bit as dogs as Sherman is. You don’t think those two will have pride going up against Sherman? I’ll take our guys any day over Sherm.

Statistics show Sherman didn't decline. He even tweeted the stats out. Now he is saying he signed with niners to be vengeful. People loved Sherman is why. I did. I love Russ. I love ppl who play for my team. Sherman will be running his mouth all year @ Seattle. Be prepared.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Who cares?

His deal certainly indicates that, while vengeful, the 9ers aren't backing guaranteeing him much money unless he plays well.

That says quite a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.