Update: Walter Thurmond visits SF; signs with Giants

davidonmi

Reaction score
Good player, can play outside and inside.

Has a lot of red flags with health and weed issues.
Overall he's still a good player that you can get on an affordable contract

bryantology79

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":23arsqgq said:
I can't wait to see what we get from Tharold Simon.

I am also guessing that we have a slot corner targeted in the draft because I don't see one on our roster, and the FO is still lax about Thurmond. Do any draftniks know who we might take to compete for that position? Any explosive athletes that can play that position in particular?

what about auguste

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To answer OP's question:

Strong nickel corner, because he's very good at changing direction. Good enough to slide outside, but can be exploited. Nevertheless, he'd probably a better outside corner than anyone currently on San Francisco's roster. He's pretty effective at the corner blitz. He's a good player, but he's injury prone and one mistake away from a 1-year ban.

Another thing: he's been protected by Earl/Sherman/Kam essentially every time he's played. What does he look like without elite players surrounding him? We don't really know for sure. However, he's better than Cox, and Cox played well for you, so there's that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tate and Thurmond both wanted a payday, both were groomed and taught to be Pro's here. Thurmond would have been a first rounder if not for his college injury. We nurse maided him thru if I'm counting correctly 3 of them that were pretty bad. Sure he worked to get back but until last year never contributed up to his contract becasue of being on IR. Then the Weed bust.

He's good, he thinks highly of himself and I'm sure is looking for a payday and a long term deal, he' isn't that dumb, wants to be covered in case of another injury.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think he is very good in SEATTLE'S defense. A defense that has Thomas, Sherm, and Kamtrak helping you out and can cover some mistakes. Was more impressed with him midseason than late in the year, playoffs, and Super Bowl. If he is the best player in a teams secondary his weaknesses will be exposed, and that's not saying he is crap, I just think he'll play better in Seattle because of the others in the secondary and rest of the defense.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Thurmond is an upgrade to them over any corner they have IMHO.

SF NEEDS help in the secondary, bringing guys in will do that. They will need to learn how to coordinate though. This is where the Hawks have a heavy advantage. Thurmond would certainly help them.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":yc4c3qqj said:
Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN·7 mins
Seahawks UFA CB Walter Thurmond @WaltThurm3: "Now off to San Fran." He plays the nickel position.

What do you guys think of him? Interesting that Terrell Brown is still sitting out there and they are looking at other corners.

Walter Thurmond won the nickle back competition over Antonio Winfield last year.

But, availability has always been an issue with him. He has had a knack for losing out on multiple opportunities. When he came back off of suspension last year, he remarked that it gave him time to rest his knees. I'm not going to speculate about all the implications, but he said he felt much better and quicker upon his return.

He still has his long arms and length and athleticism. But, can one count on him to be there for a full season? For a team like the Seahawks, with something of a schedule to maintain for roster turn over, I think Thurmond has run out of time. It's too bad because there were great expectations for his career.

Seattle has it's two experienced perimeter corners. Candidates for nickle corner competition are already on board. And, they have good developmental depth they will strive to build on.

I think Walter is a candidate for a 1-year prove it opportunity. Whether or not he can seize his next opportunity and carve out a lasting role, is the question.

The San Francisco 49er have an affinity for former high round draft picks ..... so Thurmond's visit certainly fits.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Thurmond is a GREAT player. And he's only 26 years old. In the right system, he could be a Pro Bowl-type player in the next few years.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
With Browner and Thurmond potentially signing elsewhere thsi is going to be interesting to watch. There are instances of players who people feel are products of their system and don't really pan out elsewhere. Look how for the longest time, guys who left the Patriots were not the same as they were there.

We are going to find out if these backs are that good, or if they were a product of their environment. My guess is that it's a little bit of both

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":jvo8xzdh said:
I would think Jacksonville would offer more.

Me too. It really depends on what they're offering though.

One year at 2 million is a "prove it" deal, and IMO there's really no point in "proving it" in Jacksonville where nobody would notice anyway.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Popeyejones":16wdmrou said:
CALIHAWK1":16wdmrou said:

One year at 2 million is a "prove it" deal, and IMO there's really no point in "proving it" in Jacksonville where nobody would notice anyway.

Unless you feel they are building something real. He would probably also start on the outside. Maybe Gus isnt sure of his issues being resolved.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3gaxwuie said:
Popeyejones":3gaxwuie said:
CALIHAWK1":3gaxwuie said:

Unless you feel they are building something real. He would probably also start on the outside. Maybe Gus isnt sure of his issues being resolved.

When you show up to an interview in steampunk attire and smell of sandalwood and reefer. . .

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3rktmc44 said:
Popeyejones":3rktmc44 said:
CALIHAWK1":3rktmc44 said:

Yeah. Sadly (for 9ers fans, of course :) ) him starting on the outside in S.F. isn't outside of the realms of possibility either. The only spot that is locked up is Brock, and Thurmond would have a fair chance to take the second outside spot in a competition with Culliver (coming off ACL, and has been better in the slot anyway), Wright (who isn't anything), Morris (who will stick with the team due to ST play), and whichever rookie/rookies they bring in.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Popeyejones":blbgtoke said:
CALIHAWK1":blbgtoke said:
Popeyejones":blbgtoke said:
CALIHAWK1":blbgtoke said:

Yeah. Sadly (for 9ers fans, of course :) ) him starting on the outside in S.F. isn't outside of the realms of possibility either. The only spot that is locked up is Brock, and Thurmond would have a fair chance to take the second outside spot in a competition with Culliver (coming off ACL, and has been better in the slot anyway), Wright (who isn't anything), Morris (who will stick with the team due to ST play), and whichever rookie/rookies they bring in.

Isnt Brown a FA? I wouldnt mind him in a swap but I think Lane has that locked down.

Latest posts