US Mens Soccer

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Morris will move on after one more successful year.

I know a lot of soccer people wanted him to go straight to Europe, but I think he has benefited from playing with the Sounders, from a training, technical and just how to carry himself as a pro.

IMO this will all benefit him when he moves on. Like Yedlin, he needed a little more polishing first.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t0vuo9fm said:
I think Morris will move on after one more successful year.

I know a lot of soccer people wanted him to go straight to Europe, but I think he has benefited from playing with the Sounders, from a training, technical and just how to carry himself as a pro.

IMO this will all benefit him when he moves on. Like Yedlin, he needed a little more polishing first.

I certainly was one who thought he should have moved on last year but he certainly benefited from staying with Seattle. Plus he earned invaluable experience through a championship run.

He really fits the mold of the type of winger/forward the PL and Bundesliga are looking for right now. I'm honestly surprised his name has not come up more in Winter transfer rumors.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Everytime I see Bruce Arena

arena.jpg

he reminds he reminds me of this -

Puffer fish 12

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So after a couple friendlies I saw pretty much what I thought I'd see.............a tactics move back to the Bradley era of US soccer.

More fundamentally sound, but no imagination whatsoever.

I know these are just friendlies with barely any of the main starters on the pitch, but I honestly don't see this version of an Arena led team making it through qualifying.

Morris looks good though!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Gboly Ariyibi recently signed for English Championship side Nottingham Forest. An under 23 player who Chesterfield should have sold before the start of the season. We turned down bids of around £1m and he got upset, refused to sign a new contract and went for much less in the Jan transfer window struggling for form.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3kt3s3q3 said:
Gboly Ariyibi recently signed for English Championship side Nottingham Forest. An under 23 player who Chesterfield should have sold before the start of the season. We turned down bids of around £1m and he got upset, refused to sign a new contract and went for much less in the Jan transfer window struggling for form.

Is that a step up for him?

Unfortunately the change in leadership at the USMNT will probably delay call ups for younger players

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ym2fcz2 said:
UK_Seahawk":2ym2fcz2 said:

Is that a step up for him?

Unfortunately the change in leadership at the USMNT will probably delay call ups for younger players
Yes it is a step up but not a particularly large one.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So I was watching the FA Cup match between Huddersfield Town and Manchester City this weekend and the announcers mentioned Huddersfield manager David Wagner as being worthy of consideration as manager of the USMNT. I'd never heard of the guy before but it appears he's a German-American who played for the USMNT (8 caps) in the mid to late 90s. He currently has Huddersfield in contention for promotion to the PL. Anyone here have any more info on him? Would he be a good fit or is he just a bargain bin version of Klinsmann?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1jvvoo85 said:
So I was watching the FA Cup match between Huddersfield Town and Manchester City this weekend and the announcers mentioned Huddersfield manager David Wagner as being worthy of consideration as manager of the USMNT. I'd never heard of the guy before but it appears he's a German-American who played for the USMNT (8 caps) in the mid to late 90s. He currently has Huddersfield in contention for promotion to the PL. Anyone here have any more info on him? Would he be a good fit or is he just a bargain bin version of Klinsmann?

Anyone is better than Bruce Arenas....wouldn't mind giving Wagner a shot. Arenas already had his and was fired for a reason.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Interesting name...

He'd be a gamble, but may be the very reflection of what a few people (myself included) on here would want for the program. He's young, ambitious and innovative. Worked with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp at Dortmund (and considers him his mentor) and now has a team in the Championship near the Premier League.

The timing of his name seems perfect as well. Arenas is going to get this cycle of the USMNT, regardless. However, as the World Cup nears, if all goes well, Wagner will have had atleast one year of Premier League managing experience on top of everything else. He may be very well positioned by then to take the reigns (if he would be willing to give up club coaching).

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Groups for the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup have been announced, as has the group stage schedule. USA is in Group B with Panama, Martinique and either Haiti or Nicaragua. USA play Panama on July 8, Martinique on July 12, and Haiti or Nicaragua on July 15.

In other news, DeAndre Yedlin may miss the upcoming World Cup qualifiers with a thigh injury.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1gwelwk2 said:
Groups for the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup have been announced, as has the group stage schedule. USA is in Group B with Panama, Martinique and either Haiti or Nicaragua. USA play Panama on July 8, Martinique on July 12, and Haiti or Nicaragua on July 15.

In other news, DeAndre Yedlin may miss the upcoming World Cup qualifiers with a thigh injury.

Christian Pulisic should be in line to start on the wing, Nagbe on the other side... Yedlin was always looking at a back up role.

Gold Cup is a great comp for the U23s. Ton of talent in that group

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1h451qgh said:
SeatownJay":1h451qgh said:

Christian Pulisic should be in line to start on the wing, Nagbe on the other side... Yedlin was always looking at a back up role.

Gold Cup is a great comp for the U23s. Ton of talent in that group
I was under the impression that Arena would use Yedlin at RB, not as a winger.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I guess that would make more sense. Still behind Fabian Johnson?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":178o7vz6 said:
Uncle Si":178o7vz6 said:
I guess that would make more sense. Still behind Fabian Johnson?

Fabian should be starting at LB.

Matt Besler transitioning there?
(My god.. that sounds terrible)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Fabian down the left and probably/hopefully Acosta down the right

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Huge win...they put together their best game in a long while last night. Dempsey with a hat trick. If they can win in Panama, then they are back in the top 3 in the table/standings.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Big news here is Pulisic at the #10. 18 years old and he had a goal, 2 assists, set up the first goal with a great run and shot (nonassists as the goal was in the rebound), drew two yellows and the foul that led to Dempseys free kick.

Typically plays wide at Dortmund. However, if he can be that impactful through the middle at this age his ceiling may eclipse that if any US player before him. Future is very bright for him. US needs to produce a true 6 to go with the attacking players coming through.