US Mens Soccer

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There's a huge difference between both US men's and women's teams (ranking and play) ye they are governed by the same US Soccer governing body. Men's are average in rankings and play but the women's team has always been top or near the top. You can also see a more cohesiveness with women's team where men's are totally out of sync passing the ball and possession. It seems the strategy and tactics are more effective with the women's team and thus their results. Why is that? Maybe they should look at using a women's team coach to work with the men's team. Would be a problem if the coaches were the same from a tactics, fundamentals, and strategy perspective. It just night and day between both teams. They are both part of the same US Soccer Federation. So how can one be much more successful than the other? Compare their games and you'll see how better the women are at controlling the action while the men play so haphazardly.

This is what I was getting at -
http://www.voanews.com/content/us-womens-and-mens-soccer-a-world-cup-of-difference/2856121.html

I guess the answer lies in that article. Soccer is not taken as serious enough from a men's perspective. Until that happens, nothing will change on the world stage for US Soccer. Honestly, I think Gulati needs to leave and someone needs to come in to build US Soccer. What he has done is good but we need to do better. I'd like to see someone else take over as the head US Soccer even if it has to come from a foreign country. Maybe a separation of women's and men's might help. Since women's are a success let Gulati head that and get someone else to lead the men's side (executive perspective).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The differences between Men's soccer and women's soccer, in terms of success, are quite easy to pin point. It's not coaching, development, mentality...

Men's soccer jumped into a sport that had been developed for a century across the planet. US Women's soccer literally led the line and thus the development of the women's game. The men are truly trying to catch up to 100 years of development, the women started it and are waiting for the rest of the world to catch up to them.

US Soccer has hundreds of thousands of participants and more money thrown at it than people care to realize. It is taken extremely seriously. Without discussing the frailties of the men's system as a whole, the biggest issue is that the developmental program on the mens (boys) side has essentially reformed itself after 30 years. The womens side has had to do no such thing, as they again started at the very top.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2juom1vv said:
There's a huge difference between both US men's and women's teams (ranking and play) ye they are governed by the same US Soccer governing body. Men's are average in rankings and play but the women's team has always been top or near the top. You can also see a more cohesiveness with women's team where men's are totally out of sync passing the ball and possession. It seems the strategy and tactics are more effective with the women's team and thus their results. Why is that? Maybe they should look at using a women's team coach to work with the men's team. Would be a problem if the coaches were the same from a tactics, fundamentals, and strategy perspective. It just night and day between both teams. They are both part of the same US Soccer Federation. So how can one be much more successful than the other? Compare their games and you'll see how better the women are at controlling the action while the men play so haphazardly.

This is what I was getting at -
http://www.voanews.com/content/us-womens-and-mens-soccer-a-world-cup-of-difference/2856121.html

I guess the answer lies in that article. Soccer is not taken as serious enough from a men's perspective. Until that happens, nothing will change on the world stage for US Soccer. Honestly, I think Gulati needs to leave and someone needs to come in to build US Soccer. What he has done is good but we need to do better. I'd like to see someone else take over as the head US Soccer even if it has to come from a foreign country. Maybe a separation of women's and men's might help. Since women's are a success let Gulati head that and get someone else to lead the men's side (executive perspective).

Si hit it on the head, this has nothing to do with seriousness, the US Men's soccer program is as serious as cancer........which is why Klinsmann is the 10th highest paid national coach in the world.

This has to do with the US Women's program due to the US being one of the most progressive sports nations in the world when it comes to equality in youth and college athletics. We've had a 10 year head start on 75% of the world with women's soccer.

Look at the FIFA Women's Soccer rankings, it's not the same nations as the men's soccer powerhouses. It's all the progressive forward thinking countries that have allowed their girls and young women to play competitive sports from a young age.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Bruce Arena has named his 32-man squad for the January camp. No surprise since it's not in a FIFA international window, it's all MLS guys. Four Sounders are on the list.

Goalkeepers: David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Unattached), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Greg Garza (Atlanta United), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Taylor Kemp (D.C. United), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders), Keegan Rosenberry (Philadelphia Union), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Jermaine Jones (Unattached), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Kekuta Manneh (Vancouver Whitecaps), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ciwu202 said:
That list makes my heart sink...

Players playing in the top leagues don't get called into camps, they're too important to their clubs in the middle of their seasons.

These are the 2nd and 3rd tier players, (mostly MLS) that need the training and looks to see if they'll make the roster for the upcoming qualifying matches.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1erpd7dh said:
Uncle Si":1erpd7dh said:
Can you be more specific? At least there are two SKC guys on it. ;)

Well without the international players it's just not an exciting list.

Good to see Aguadelo back and I like the inclusion of the young, dynamic wing backs from Dallas and DC. Also, Kellyn Acosta is listed as a mid and Zusi as a defender?

There are some exciting names in Trapp, Acosta, the two defenders, Lletget, Manneh, Nagbe and Morris. But it's really just a rehash of the same names/types of players. Which is unfortunate going into March. I'd like to see Ibarra back in the group now that he's signed with Minnesota.

He is clearly going to try and rely on vets to get the points in qualification. To be expected i guess. Hopefully if qualification is secured we see some more of the younger players.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3issiyta said:
Uncle Si":3issiyta said:

Players playing in the top leagues don't get called into camps, they're too important to their clubs in the middle of their seasons.

These are the 2nd and 3rd tier players, (mostly MLS) that need the training and looks to see if they'll make the roster for the upcoming qualifying matches.

These are just the MLS players... if you think those are 2nd and 3rd tier I'll leave you to it. It's not a FIFA sanctioned break so I understand that MLS players are the only ones available.

But.. he's gone with a very veteran laden group. Its frustrating. Not enough of the younger players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1iv0j4ha said:
Sgt. Largent":1iv0j4ha said:
Uncle Si":1iv0j4ha said:

These are just the MLS players... if you think those are 2nd and 3rd tier I'll leave you to it. It's not a FIFA sanctioned break so I understand that MLS players are the only ones available.

But.. he's gone with a very veteran laden group. Its frustrating. Not enough of the younger players.

I HOPE they're 2nd and 3rd tier players, cause if I see Bradley and Jones starting in the midfield in the next qualifier I'm gonna throw a brick through my TV.

What I meant is obviously there's some starters here, but Arena needs to fill out his bench.........and yes looks like he's going mostly safe veterans.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
But these are the best USMNT players the MLS has to offer...

So given that... why not bring up some more young players and see if they can offer something. We don't already know what Jermaine Jones, Bradley and Chris Wondolowski are going to provide?

It is what it is...

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I think part of including vets like Bradley and Jones on the squad is they can talk to the youngsters about what playing in WC qualifiers is really like. They can be mentors of a sort to the youngsters. Now, if he's playing all the old guys for the full 90 while the kids sit on the bench then I'll be upset.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2o4crwsd said:
I think part of including vets like Bradley and Jones on the squad is they can talk to the youngsters about what playing in WC qualifiers is really like. They can be mentors of a sort to the youngsters. Now, if he's playing all the old guys for the full 90 while the kids sit on the bench then I'll be upset.

Most the squad is aging vets though.. there's maybe 8 on that roster under 23. Plus, he has a whole week to invest these kids into what the USMNT is about..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1uko2nda said:

So given that... why not bring up some more young players and see if they can offer something. We don't already know what Jermaine Jones, Bradley and Chris Wondolowski are going to provide?

It is what it is...

I told you when Arena was hired that he was going to play it safe and just try to get through qualifying, and veterans are the safest way to try to do that. Is it the best way? That's certainly up for debate.

The time for a youth movement is in between World Cup qualifying, like the Copa or Olympic cycle. Now it's all hands on deck.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":twcogdqi said:
Uncle Si":twcogdqi said:

It is what it is...

I told you when Arena was hired that he was going to play it safe and just try to get through qualifying, and veterans are the safest way to try to do that. Is it the best way? That's certainly up for debate.

The time for a youth movement is in between World Cup qualifying, like the Copa or Olympic cycle. Now it's all hands on deck.

Fairly sure we all knew that would be the case Sgt.

To see it on paper just shows how poor US soccer has been over the last few years. It's best players are under the age of 23 and for the most part playing overseas.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3anfcjki said:
To see it on paper just shows how poor US soccer has been over the last few years. It's best players are under the age of 23 and for the most part playing overseas.

Isn't that a good thing? Isn't this what Jurgen wanted..............all our best young potential playing in the best leagues overseas?

To me this WC cycle feels like a lost cause, too many aging vets depended upon to play like they did in their 20's. I don't see that happening.

But the good news is what you said above, there's a lot of good young players already playing, and coming up through the system that should hit in 3-4 years.

Do we want Arena coaching them? Hell no, but like I said, he's just a placeholder trying to get this group to the WC, so unless he pulls off a miracle and gets us far in the WC, he isn't going to be the manager.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Is it a good thing that the only potentially good players the USMNT has are U23s playing in Europe?

Yes, in some regards it is good that the group has quality young players (lots of them) coming through and many of them are challenging themselves in the toughest leagues in the world. Jordan Morris... time to move on, son. England and Germany await. Liverpool are desperately after Pulisic. Wood is playing regularly in the Bundesliga. No one can objectively tell me Jordan Morris is not as capable and would not benefit as much by doing the same thing.

What is not a good thing was how poor the the US group was developed over the 8 years before it. Arena has not only illustrated that massive disparity in class but also his complete inability to understand the urgency of the cycle, not just the next 2 matches. He has a full week of training ahead of him and he has called guys in (Wondolowski? seriously?) to camp that have no need be there. None whatsoever. Hell, he could have replaced Wondolowski with Minnesota United's Christian Ramirez (as an example, or top prospect Jeremy Ebobisse) and atleast seen what a relative newcomer to US soccer may offer. Jurgen had the right perspective there. Arena does not.

I understand the balance that needs to be done here. You need to qualify for the 2018 world cup. and hopefully when they do they call on the players currently at the u19 and u23 stages to play in that tournmant, as they will be 2 years further down the road. But your camp does not need to have a bunch of late 20s/early 30s somethings littering it at the expense of some talented young MLSers who should be given the opportunity.

I would have preferred alot more balance of vets and young players than what I see here. Arena is tying himself to the next two matches. That lacks vision and perspective