USA Today: Hawks OL is a disaster, but Wilson isn't helping

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":3tw13qjr said:
IrishNW":3tw13qjr said:
ludakrishna":3tw13qjr said:
IrishNW":3tw13qjr said:
I agree about his height, I think Cable even said it in an interview way back in the day. When he cant see he's going to move. Wilson needs to learn how to manipulate the pocket like drew brees does

Brees has Sean Payton who uses quick 3 step routes at the beginning to establish rythm. Our playcalling is terrible. We either throw a screen (Our receivers outside of Baldwin can't block). Or we have routes that take 5-7 steps to develop. By that time the pressure is in his face. We need to go from a vertical to a horizontal offense if this OL philosophy is to remain.

Oh I agree, Sean Payton is a great offensive mind and Drew Brees has mastered his offense. I wonder what Russell Wilson could do in that offense.

Payton and Pete would make a great / unbeatable team. They have the opposite problem we do. Payton is an O minded coach that drafts like crazy trying to fix his D and year after year gets nowhere.

Or even Chip Kelly as OC . . . he's available.

IrishNW

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1h0g7jil said:
Seymour":1h0g7jil said:
IrishNW":1h0g7jil said:
ludakrishna":1h0g7jil said:
Brees has Sean Payton who uses quick 3 step routes at the beginning to establish rythm. Our playcalling is terrible. We either throw a screen (Our receivers outside of Baldwin can't block). Or we have routes that take 5-7 steps to develop. By that time the pressure is in his face. We need to go from a vertical to a horizontal offense if this OL philosophy is to remain.

Oh I agree, Sean Payton is a great offensive mind and Drew Brees has mastered his offense. I wonder what Russell Wilson could do in that offense.

Payton and Pete would make a great / unbeatable team. They have the opposite problem we do. Payton is an O minded coach that drafts like crazy trying to fix his D and year after year gets nowhere.

yeah cause he had so much success in the NFL with his offense...no thanks

hawknation2017

Reaction score
IrishNW":2dpeh0pn said:
hawknation2017":2dpeh0pn said:
Seymour":2dpeh0pn said:
IrishNW":2dpeh0pn said:

He would need to modulate his tempo to sustain longer drives. But he's still a bonafide offensive genius, IMO. His biggest issues in the NFL were his HC/GM-related responsibilities.

Compared to Bevell? :yawn:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
This article is somewhat fair, but the writer is not offering FULL context.

You can nitpick at any Qbs bad games. When Brady struggles with his O-line, you could analyze tape and find moments where Brady could have pulled something off. So the translation for this article is, it's partly Russell's fault because he didn't play perfectly under the circumstances

Qbs stand in the pocket and take hits while gunning it down the barrel all the time. But you can't expect a Qb to do that for EVERY play. The writer basically compliments Wilson on a throw in which he got hammered and couldn't step into it. Sorry, but I'd rather pray for my Qb to healthy & paranoid while the O-line gels than risk it

The glaring flaw in this article is it basically asks Wilson to be Alex Smith and look for his check down first, rather than go to his first and second read

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2017":aooau1b1 said:
MontanaHawk05":aooau1b1 said:
hawknation2017":aooau1b1 said:
Or maybe they could address the LT position!

I'm open to suggestions.

If you say Joe Thomas I'm going to put you on ignore for a week. :141847_bnono:

Joe Thomas just had a phenomenal week 1, so I'm not sure why you would be opposed to pursuing him.

I'm not opposed to pursuing him. I'm just irked at the pipe dream so many fans have that we can just snap our fingers and get the Browns to go "Oh sure, here's a quality LT, we don't need him, thanks for the crummy player in return" or whatever it is they think we can do. The Browns value a quality LT becase who wouldn't, and that makes him prohibitively expensive for us.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":14qv7asc said:
IrishNW":14qv7asc said:
hawknation2017":14qv7asc said:
Seymour":14qv7asc said:

He would need to modulate his tempo to sustain longer drives. But he's still a bonafide offensive genius, IMO. His biggest issues in the NFL were his HC/GM-related responsibilities.

I'd take a reeled in Kelly over Bevell any day.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Seymour":rs50cz00 said:
hawknation2017":rs50cz00 said:
IrishNW":rs50cz00 said:
hawknation2017":rs50cz00 said:

I'd take a reeled in Kelly over Bevell any day.

Kelly w/ Wilson would be like peanut butter and chocolate

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":201syo1z said:
hawknation2017":201syo1z said:
MontanaHawk05":201syo1z said:
hawknation2017":201syo1z said:

I'm open to suggestions.

Joe Thomas just had a phenomenal week 1, so I'm not sure why you would be opposed to pursuing him.

I'm not opposed to pursuing him. I'm just irked at the pipe dream so many fans have that we can just snap our fingers and get the Browns to go "Oh sure, here's a quality LT, we don't need him, thanks for the crummy player in return" or whatever it is they think we can do. The Browns value a quality LT becase who wouldn't, and that makes him prohibitively expensive for us.

All trades are kind of a pipedream to predict. I agree we would have to give up major assets for Joe Thomas (a couple highly valued starters like TE Jimmy Graham & CB Jeremy Lane would make the numbers work) and maybe draft picks too. But I would try. When there is a will, (sometimes) there is a way. Thomas is getting up there in age, so this could be the Browns last shot to acquire assets for him while he is still good. If the Seahawks can improve the play at LT, I think our QB and defense are good enough to get us back to the Super Bowl.

12thbrah

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":rxykn15h said:
hawknation2017":rxykn15h said:
MontanaHawk05":rxykn15h said:
hawknation2017":rxykn15h said:

I'm open to suggestions.

Joe Thomas isn't going anywhere now that the Browns have Deshone Kizer to protect. The LT position does need to be addressed somehow. Odhiambo is the worse. The guy is getting knocked down or pushed over easily on every other play it seems.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1twn3k0f said:
Seymour":1twn3k0f said:
IrishNW":1twn3k0f said:
ludakrishna":1twn3k0f said:

Haha! Would be a disaster.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":sbizn4ou said:
hawknation2017":sbizn4ou said:
Seymour":sbizn4ou said:
IrishNW":sbizn4ou said:

If they announced that Chip Kelly was coming to call the plays for the Seahawks, you wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off my face.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Browns aren't going to trade Joe Thomas. He has said many times he wants to retire a Brown and is still one of the best LT's in the NFL. Unless they are thrown a franchise breaking trade of players and future draft picks, no one will be getting him.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1td5cuc4 said:
Siouxhawk":1td5cuc4 said:
hawknation2017":1td5cuc4 said:
Seymour":1td5cuc4 said:

If they announced that Chip Kelly was coming to call the plays for the Seahawks, you wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off my face.
Happy for you. Keep dreaming the impossible dream.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3kz6s6mt said:
hawknation2017":3kz6s6mt said:
Seymour":3kz6s6mt said:
IrishNW":3kz6s6mt said:

Haha! Would be a disaster for me

FTFY

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3fsvqqp7 said:
Siouxhawk":3fsvqqp7 said:
hawknation2017":3fsvqqp7 said:
Seymour":3fsvqqp7 said:

FTFY
wanting to fix something that's not broken. Classic.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1mj4ucl2 said:
All trades are kind of a pipedream to predict. I agree we would have to give up major assets for Joe Thomas (a couple highly valued starters like TE Jimmy Graham & CB Jeremy Lane would make the numbers work)

On Sunday, part of the problem was that we weren't sending enough targets out there for Wilson to find. We were in max protect for much of the day, and it backfired - our TEs and RBs would chip and then run late routes, and by then Wilson was in trouble.

Trading Graham would be a new way to create the same problem. Luke Willson and Nick Vannett would not suffice. Wilson would only have fewer weapons in an already shrimpy (all due respect to our perennially pissed-off and clutch WR corps) and injury-prone arsenal. It would probably only lead to more coverage sacks.

The answer is to dump max protect and send these guys out on routes from the snap. It's an obvious answer because we've run it before and it's worked. The only thing holding us back is the coaches' not doing it.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":36zmljd4 said:
hawknation2017":36zmljd4 said:
All trades are kind of a pipedream to predict. I agree we would have to give up major assets for Joe Thomas (a couple highly valued starters like TE Jimmy Graham & CB Jeremy Lane would make the numbers work)

On Sunday, part of the problem was that we weren't sending enough targets out there for Wilson to find. We were in max protect for much of the day, and it backfired - our TEs and RBs would chip and then run late routes, and by then Wilson was in trouble.

Trading Graham would be a new way to create the same problem. Luke Willson and Nick Vannett would not suffice. Wilson would only have fewer weapons in an already shrimpy (all due respect to our perennially pissed-off and clutch WR corps) and injury-prone arsenal. It would probably only lead to more coverage sacks.

The answer is to dump max protect and send these guys out on routes from the snap. It's an obvious answer because we've run it before and it's worked. The only thing holding us back is the coaches' not doing it.

Good point. I suggest if we trade Graham & Lane that we get Thomas & Randall Telfer (an excellent blocking TE) in return. But again . . . it's a pipedream. We do need a TE and FB who can block.

We just need to mix in more running plays and some screens to keep the defense on its heels. Then the max protect plays and play action passing might actually yield something more consistently.

2_0_6

Reaction score
When you have guys chipping then rolling out, by the time Wilson needs to throw due to pressure most of the targets still have their back to him or are covered.

I still cant figure out why we were doing so much play action when was obvious that the run game was not working. Line up with an empty backfield in shotgun and get some quick hits going.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2d3r0a2n said:
MontanaHawk05":2d3r0a2n said:
hawknation2017":2d3r0a2n said:

Good point. I suggest if we trade Graham & Lane that we get Thomas & Randall Telfer (an excellent blocking TE) in return. But again . . . it's a pipedream. We do need a TE and FB who can block.

We just need to mix in more running plays and some screens to keep the defense on its heels. Then the max protect plays and play action passing might actually yield something more consistently.

The screens I agree on, but again, it goes back to the ability of the OL. We've never been a good screen team under Carroll and Cable.

What I would try (and you suggested this) is try Pocic at LT. He's an anti-Cable pick in that he's polished instead of athletic-and-raw (such an anti-Cable pick, in fact, that I still wonder how much input Cable actually had in his selection), and his performance at LT with the Tigers was underrated.

StoneCold

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1djwpnge said:
It's a compound problem and Wilson is part of it. That's not news to folks that see rather than believe.

With RW all we can really ask is better discipline. It's not like he's growing any time soon and he's still in a top 5 conversation. The OL, on the other hand...we should probably make some reasonable changes.

This is akin to asking a fish in a barrel to hold still while you shoot it. RW's play will improve when he can trust the Oline.

Latest posts