Wagner talking about his future

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1li9ttrh said:
Sgt. Largent":1li9ttrh said:
But there are players Pete and John drafted and aquired on the D-line and defensive backfield that they wanted to look at in starting roles, so that made guys like Sherman, Earl and Bennett expendable.

If Pete and John really thought that any of the flotsam they had at the time were anywhere near solid starter status, much less approaching the talent of the guys they were replacing, then I really might have to consider jumping on the "PCJS can't evaluate talent after all" bandwagon, as much as it smells like dirty socks.

I agree that we are about to get front row seat to what happens when you lose a huge chunk of defensive talent and that any idea that the present backups are the next Sherman, Earl, or Bennett is wishcasting.

I suspect Pete knew we would face a large drop off losing this talent and figured this year was the right time to take the hit. And I agree with that, especially after seeing Kam and Avril go down, extending an injured Sherman and long in the tooth Bennett is only something you do if you think this year is a good time for all in.

But yeah, our D is going to struggle. I'll the thrilled if we can just stop the run a bit and find some answers in the secondary; I have little hope that we will shut down any top passing games with our rough backfield and Clark and the pips "pass rush".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3uhx0ylu said:
Sgt. Largent":3uhx0ylu said:
But there are players Pete and John drafted and aquired on the D-line and defensive backfield that they wanted to look at in starting roles, so that made guys like Sherman, Earl and Bennett expendable.

If Pete and John really thought that any of the flotsam they had at the time were anywhere near solid starter status, much less approaching the talent of the guys they were replacing, then I really might have to consider jumping on the "PCJS can't evaluate talent after all" bandwagon, as much as it smells like dirty socks.

That's why I said "heir apparents, obviously not."

But that's the bed you have to lie in when you leveraged your cap by going for broke with desperate trades and poor drafts. You lose the luxury of taking chances on giving 3rd extensions to players that while more talented than their replacements, have health and attitude issues.

That's where we're at, and that's probably where we'll be for another year or two. So it'll be interesting to see what we do with Bobby.

I hope he balls out, has a great year, shows no signs of slowing down and makes it easy to give him an extension.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think the Hawks need to give KJ an extension, and create the model for guys' 3rd contracts.

Something like a 5yr with a regressive guarantee and a progressive bonus.

e.g. for Earl:
2019 $9M base, 100% Guaranteed, $3M roster bonus
2020 $9.5M base, 60%, $4M
2021 $10M, 30%, $5M
2022 $10.5M, 10%, $6M
2023 $11M, 0%, $7M

That's a 5yr, $75M contract, with $19M guaranteed. Chances are he'd never see past year 3, but it's all there.

I think that's how we'd all like our aging stars to leave, as a cap-casualty and a potential comp pick. It's the one way you get to fire someone in this league without causing bad blood.*

*Except if you're replaced by the first Aus. rules football punter in the league...