Ware agreed to terms with Denver

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hard to disagree with with the Broncos' strategy right now, IMO.

Anyone who says they're not even blinking at the prospect of having Von Miller coming from one side and Demarcus Ware coming from the other is being silly, IMO.

Penman96

Reaction score
Glad he's Denver's problem. Injuries and general wear and tear are going to slow DW down. Fit's Denver's system, they like have large numbers of defensive starters on IR it seems.

Denver's real problem is that once a decent pass rush is established against them they have no answer. They have no way to run the ball against elite defenses, and an old, immobile QB who cracks under pressure.

They can piss away 20% of their cap on a couple aging, oft injured defensive guys if they like, it won't help them. A young, fast, deep team like the Seahawks will bury them every time.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1jgn3vax said:

Anyone who says they're not even blinking at the prospect of having Von Miller coming from one side and Demarcus Ware coming from the other is being silly, IMO.

True enough. We can claim that we're "in their heads," but I'm convinced that we (and SF, and Carolina) are in the heads of pretty much the entire league. I think last year was a wake-up call for the league regarding how defense can dominate. Now look at New Orleans going out and signing Byrd and Denver signing any big-name defensive player they can find. And the Pats are inquiring about Revis.

I think you can point to the Giants as getting the ball rolling on this a bit with their two upsets of the Pats in the SB, but people might have considered those just flukes or weird NYG/NE matchup weirdness. With Seattle laying waste to the best offense in league history, the message is now loud and clear - build yourself a defense, or you can give up any hope of winning a SB in the next decade.

Highlordb

Reaction score
They are going to be carrying a crap load of dead money after next year when they have to rebuild after manning retires...that is way to much money for a dude that is not what he was, still very good mind ya but not up to his former elite status.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":13e6fw17 said:
Popeyejones":13e6fw17 said:

True enough. We can claim that we're "in their heads," but I'm convinced that we (and SF, and Carolina) are in the heads of pretty much the entire league. I think last year was a wake-up call for the league regarding how defense can dominate. Now look at New Orleans going out and signing Byrd and Denver signing any big-name defensive player they can find. And the Pats are inquiring about Revis.

I think you can point to the Giants as getting the ball rolling on this a bit with their two upsets of the Pats in the SB, but people might have considered those just flukes or weird NYG/NE matchup weirdness. With Seattle laying waste to the best offense in league history, the message is now loud and clear - build yourself a defense, or you can give up any hope of winning a SB in the next decade.

I agree with this. The Ravens win last year stayed the league's opinion, but only because the Ravens got extremely hot in the playoffs. Seattle proved out that if you have a magnificent defense, the hottest team in the league is bound to get crushed. Streaks don't matter.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
HawkFan72":31miqctr said:
Smelly McUgly":31miqctr said:
HawkFan72":31miqctr said:
Smelly McUgly":31miqctr said:
How do the Broncos still have that much money to spend?

other fans are saying the same thing about us.

You can always find money if you churn your roster enough.

We let Clemons, Rice, and Bryant go, though.

The Broncos...cut Champ Bailey. That's about it. They let Beadles walk, but that didn't save them much.

Depends how their current players' contracts are structured too. They may be in a year where the dollar amounts are smaller than previous years if a lot of their guys had front-loaded deals.

There's so many factors that could allow them to have extra money.

Could be. Only Manning and Clady were making eight figures this year before these signings. Von Miller is only making 5.2M. Demaryius Thomas is only making 2.8. I didn't realize how many guys they have on their first contracts. However, they have a few guys they will need to extend soon, and I wonder how having to pay Talib and Ware will hurt that (Ward has a nice contract, on the other hand).

kearly

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3epi6um9 said:
In my opinion, Ware is over the hill. I have a feeling this won't help the Broncos.

I'd like this signing so much more if Denver was a 3-4 team. Miller is kind of a 3-4 OLB type guy too, wonder if they are planning to be a 4-3 / 3-4 hybrid team next year?

Ware can still play, I think his numbers were hurt by scheme fit last year (Dallas switched to a 4-3). But still, if Denver intends to stick to a 4-3, they should have given that money to Jared Allen.

12thMan1

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... o-30m-deal

These were my intial thoughts too when I heard about Ware and company's addition to the Denver roster.

"There are concerns with each of these defenders. Ward has coverage limitations. Talib's hip has been a chronic problem. And Ware is on the wrong side of 30."

Regarding Ware- " The 31-year-old is coming off an injury-plagued season in which his sack total dipped to a career-low six -- after averaging 15.5 sacks per season prior. But Ware only missed three games."

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I'm assuming that Denver is in a Super Bowl or bust situation...and this is a move they make to keep up with much faster NFC teams? Hmm. I think he'll be solid and help them get into the playoffs, but I see him hurting them in the end. He was a beast last year, but look how that fared for the Cow Pats.

GCrow

Reaction score
Well, I for one have drastically changed my opinion on this guy in the past 20 minutes. Bum.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
volsunghawk":u4npujok said:
Popeyejones":u4npujok said:

Totally agree. And just as a football fan the recalibration back to the defense and running game is one I'm really excited about too (the balance is just a more entertaining version of the game, IMO).

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I don't think Ward is going to be asked to play much in coverage, though. Don't the Broncos keep their SS in or near the box on the regular?

Talib is the most risky signing, IMO. He's injury-prone and one strike away from being suspended for a year, IIRC. That was a lot of money to give a guy like that.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Congratulations Denver--you are now tooled up to get blown out by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl again.

mikeak

Reaction score
I have always thought that NFL contracts should be required to have a 401k savings portion like say 5% of the salary was 401k

I think it is nice by Denver to step up to the plate and issue all these retirement plans.......

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I hope that in the draft they also get a power running RB and a QB with an accurate, rocket arm. Ain't going nowhere against our D with Captain Checkdown refusing to run the ball. Money well wasted.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3u2m83l3 said:
I guess this means Jared Allen is a pipedream given he was offered the same deal and walked away.

According to nfl.com he didn't walk away, the Donkeys made him wait while they saw if they could get Ware, and when they did they went with him instead, dream alive!

'Allen would have taken that deal, too, but Rapoport was told the Broncos made him wait as they huddled with Ware. Tough pill to swallow, as it won't be easy for Allen to land that kind of money elsewhere.'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... t-get-paid

Latest posts