Was his hand going forward?

Steve2222

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3ulux7j3 said:
What disappointed me the most was not the call being correct but the fact that the defense did not react as if it was a fumble. This defense has always been about opportunity and playing through the whistle. No matter what the true ruling ends up being players are taught to react until they hear a whistle. Seemed to me there was only one player that did that and he played for the Jets. Wrong call or not. The result is the fault of the defense and no one else. A missed opportunity at a turnover.

This. It clearly was a bang bang play and why the defense just decided to become spectators is beyond me.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
ACFan":2zb37ho0 said:
so if the ball slips in the QB's hand while passing, and only goes 20 yards instead of the intended 40, it's a fumble?

He was losing control as the ball went forward. fumble? I don't think so.

The ball came put before his arm started going forward. It doesnt matter what happens after that. He lost control, then his arm went forward, pushing the ball forward.

It was the correct call. Our defense should have played to the whistle.

If this had been recovered by Seattle but ruled an incomplete pass, everyone would be arguing that it should have been a fumble.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sign37now":1teaoa98 said:
Mick063":1teaoa98 said:
The ball went forward with enough velocity to travel about ten yards. I don't know how it can go that far without forward motion.

I was pissed at first but looking at the replay his forearm was hit so hard it looked like his hand flopped forward and it flung the ball out there. if we had recovered and they called it a forward pass, we would be going crazy..

Kind of like me on that BS PI call on Sherm when he was pushed 5 yards from the play...But I digress......

Yup, that was the blatantly worst call I've seen in some time. It just drives me crazy how there's no consistency; you have one guy giving Marshall the call after he double handed pushes Sherman off of him, blatantly and in full few of the refs. Two weeks ago, you have Kearse brushing one hand back to find the defender, while the defender is behind him, and it goes against Kearse.

On to this call though, yea I would agree that it's on the defense. The ball bounced right to the Jets WR, so it's not really anyone's fault they didn't recover it, but Wright could've tackled the guy and just ran by him. Jets were on offense so the crowd wouldn't have been that loud. No whistle, that's on the defense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was a fumble and unfortunately the correct call. Refs got that one right. They got plenty else wrong, but got that one right. Jets got a lucky bounce and 7 gifted points. We still win by 10, on the road, a 10am Pacific time game, against a New York team. This year's 'Hawks are looking like a special team so far.

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":1qkabba9 said:
MD5eahawks":1qkabba9 said:
What disappointed me the most was not the call being correct but the fact that the defense did not react as if it was a fumble. This defense has always been about opportunity and playing through the whistle. No matter what the true ruling ends up being players are taught to react until they hear a whistle. Seemed to me there was only one player that did that and he played for the Jets. Wrong call or not. The result is the fault of the defense and no one else. A missed opportunity at a turnover.
This. You can't let a ball carrier run free past 5 defenders. Play to the whistle. :34853_doh:

Sure but if Kam laid him low, he risked an unnecessary roughness penalty (and possibly a fine). The league really discourages defenders from actually playing to the whistle. Reminds me of when QBs like Elway would run toward the sideline so the defender would let up not wanting to get a penalty, then Elway would turn upfield for another couple of yards.

I have a hard time blaming defensive players for letting up when they think a play is over because the league makes them pay if they are wrong.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
As much as I love to call fowl on the refs, I think they got this one right. Thanks goodness we still won and it was a moot point, though it does hit our points-per-game and scoring title.

StoneCold

Reaction score
razor150":1tuqvqs6 said:
If you think that is a forward pass you are a homer or blind.

I think, if you look more closely, you'll see his arm moves forward by exactly 1/8th of an inch before the ball comes out. Incomplete pass.

mikeak

Reaction score
byau":13aftfzo said:
He got hit before his arm was moving forward, but looks like the arm following through forward is what helped the ball travel that far. So do you count when he gets hit or when he loses the ball?

Either way, glad it happened because we wouldn't have had the golden Earl moment without it :D

When the ball is lose which is why it was 100% the right call.

The ball is lose, the arm starts going forward and moves the ball forward

Fumble

mikeak

Reaction score
StoneCold":3vg30yid said:
razor150":3vg30yid said:
If you think that is a forward pass you are a homer or blind.

I think, if you look more closely, you'll see his arm moves forward by exactly 1/8th of an inch before the ball comes out. Incomplete pass.

It is not when the ball is OUT

It is when the ball is lose and not in full control

SeaChat

Reaction score
I think had a Hawk picked the ball up and ran it in for a TD that the same ref would have ruled an incomplete pass and handed the ball back to the Jets. This game was loaded with more than questionable calls on the Seahawks by the officials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
253hawk":3uvi67a8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BigDaddysCourt/status/782671287835586560[/tweet]
Whatever the refs did, it's worth crediting Avril for how good a move that was. He's very good at reaching out and arm-chopping for the ball, it's strategically better than taking the extra split second to instead try wrap him up.

edit: the reaction by 71, what's he bitching about?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Inc. pass. For sure.

The non-fumble in the first half is the call they absolutely botched. Dude had the ball, tucked it, pivoted, took two steps. How in the ******* hell is that not a catch and fumble?

strohmin

Reaction score
Does anybody remember the Andy Dalton fumble where the ball slips out of his hand backwards before it even starts to move forward? They ruled that an incomplete pass. I remember last year the same thing happened and it was ruled incomplete. We get screwed by these stupid inconsistent calls.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Oh my goodness do we sound like 40-whiner fans here.

The correct call was made. His arm was not moving forward when he lost control of the ball. It's just that simple.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wasn't this game over like 5 days ago? Didn't we win? Isn't there a long history since Goodell took over of the Refs blowing calls left and right?

The last part is what I find intriguing, prior to the all review NFL it doesn't seem we had as bad of officiating in games as today, sure they missed some stuff, Vinny Helmet comes to mind as an example, but game in and game out and amount of missed and blown calls in a single game seems staggering now, especially with more reviews then ever before.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":298pc1pf said:
Wasn't this game over like 5 days ago? Didn't we win? Isn't there a long history since Goodell took over of the Refs blowing calls left and right?

The last part is what I find intriguing, prior to the all review NFL it doesn't seem we had as bad of officiating in games as today, sure they missed some stuff, Vinny Helmet comes to mind as an example, but game in and game out and amount of missed and blown calls in a single game seems staggering now, especially with more reviews then ever before.

The refs should be full time employees of the NFL. Off season they should be training on the new rules as well as existing ones.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think the refs got it right.. and besides, who cares.