Washington v. Alabama

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2vg4aoj4 said:
cesame":2vg4aoj4 said:
UW fans need to be honest with themselves and realize they took advantage of a down season in the PAC 12. It was the weakest the conference has been in recent memory.

I think it says a lot that arguably the best team in the PAC 12 as of today, lost to Alabama by 49 points.

So yeah.. good luck Huskies!

You can't argue with the transitive property.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3aer7vrf said:
Hasselbeck":3aer7vrf said:
cesame":3aer7vrf said:
UW fans need to be honest with themselves and realize they took advantage of a down season in the PAC 12. It was the weakest the conference has been in recent memory.

I think it says a lot that arguably the best team in the PAC 12 as of today, lost to Alabama by 49 points.

So yeah.. good luck Huskies!

You can't argue with the transitive property.

Obviously it doesn't mean Washington is about to lose by 49, they may lose by only 48. ;)

But what it does show is just the extremely wide gap between Alabama and everyone else.

Sports have clearly shown that nothing is impossible, but to deny Washington won't have to play the game of their lives and get a lot of breaks along the way, would be foolish.

drrew

Reaction score
Vegas dropped 4+ points overnight, the big money guys must be coming in on Washington.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is a weird game for me.

Usually I'd be super nervous, but I think because UW is such big underdogs it's taking a lot of the pressure off. Hopefully the players feel the same way and just play fast and loose.

Cause if this game goes into the late 3rd and 4th quarter close? Then ALL the pressure switches directly onto Alabama.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea what's going to happen in this game tomorrow. I won't be surprised at any outcome. I've seen stuff go both ways too many times in college football, especially when it comes to top 5 matchups. But yes, when the upset happens, it's generally because a lot of things go their way.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fenderbender123":bryhl803 said:
I honestly have no idea what's going to happen in this game tomorrow. I won't be surprised at any outcome. I've seen stuff go both ways too many times in college football, especially when it comes to top 5 matchups. But yes, when the upset happens, it's generally because a lot of things go their way.

I think we will know all we need to in the first few series.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Georgia not looking so hot against TCU right now....will SEC start out 1-5 in bowl games? Will Tennessee make it 1-6?

Rat

Reaction score
Colorado actually had something to play for. It was the final game of their first good season in forever, they had a legit shot at finishing in the top 10, and their coach just won coach of the year, and the team still got destroyed by an average Big 12 school. And that's supposed to be UW's marquee win that proved they should have been in the playoff over Penn State. Utah coming out flat against Indiana is excusable, Colorado not showing up is not.

cesame

Reaction score
There never should have been any doubt that UW should be in the playoff

Penn State was robbed when the committee put Ohio State in over them

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cesame":39joujbf said:

Penn State lost to Pitt and got destroyed by Michigan..........they're right where they should be, on the outside looking in.

No way two loss teams should be in the final 4 unless everyone's got two losses.

Rat

Reaction score
cesame":2ca61y3z said:

I wouldn't have liked Penn State getting in over Ohio State, but there's a good argument for it, and I would have eventually accepted it.

When you play nobody all year, you get no margin of error. Washington lost (at home) to the only great team they faced, if you can even call 3-loss USC "great".

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Clemson lost to Pittsburgh.

I don't see any other "big wins" on their schedule except maybe Florida State.

Washington's schedule is no different than Clemson's. Both teams belong where they are.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
cesame":2esltm99 said:

I don't know how a team that got crushed by Michigan and lost to Pitt but scored a flukey win against Ohio State is deserving of the playoff.

All 4 teams are deserving of their ranking. I would have had Michigan in the 4 before Penn State.

cesame

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":5kw24iru said:
cesame":5kw24iru said:

I don't know how a team that got crushed by Michigan and lost to Pitt but scored a flukey win against Ohio State is deserving of the playoff.

All 4 teams are deserving of their ranking. I would have had Michigan in the 4 before Penn State.

Because head-to-head should matter, as should conference championships.

I remember a couple seasons ago when Ohio State squeaked in the CFP at the very end because of how they finished the season. They lost to Virginia Tech in September and struggled against some pretty mediocre teams as the season went on. It wasn't until the final weeks when they really put it together and the committee said it was enough bump them up ahead of 1 loss Baylor and 1 loss TCU. Up to that point Ohio State had been out of the top 5 all season long. Ohio State essentially jumped them because they won their conference and finished the season strong. If you remember this was the season the Big XII was essentially penalized for not having a conference championship

Why does that matter? Because it's exactly what Penn State did, plus the fact they actually beat Ohio State on top of it. Yeah Penn State lost twice, but both were in September. They finished the season strong and won their conference, just like Ohio State did in 2014.

Penn State was either robbed or they got it wrong in 2014. Either way Ohio State got the benefit of the doubt because they're a traditional national power.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
A conference championship isn't enough to mitigate 2 losses. If Ohio State had 2 losses in 2014, they wouldn't have gotten in.

cesame

Reaction score
Conference champion and beat the team head-to-head that got in over you

Sorry, I'll never buy that should ever happen

Of course the one problem with the CFP is there is no exact criteria to meet. That said, I'll claim Penn State was robbed every single time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
cesame":385dj8p5 said:
Hasselbeck":385dj8p5 said:
cesame":385dj8p5 said:

Because head-to-head should matter, as should conference championships.

I remember a couple seasons ago when Ohio State squeaked in the CFP at the very end because of how they finished the season. They lost to Virginia Tech in September and struggled against some pretty mediocre teams as the season went on. It wasn't until the final weeks when they really put it together and the committee said it was enough bump them up ahead of 1 loss Baylor and 1 loss TCU. Up to that point Ohio State had been out of the top 5 all season long. Ohio State essentially jumped them because they won their conference and finished the season strong. If you remember this was the season the Big XII was essentially penalized for not having a conference championship

Why does that matter? Because it's exactly what Penn State did, plus the fact they actually beat Ohio State on top of it. Yeah Penn State lost twice, but both were in September. They finished the season strong and won their conference, just like Ohio State did in 2014.

Penn State was either robbed or they got it wrong in 2014. Either way Ohio State got the benefit of the doubt because they're a traditional national power.
I agree it is bullshit to deny a team for not playing in a conference championship a couple years ago but now you let one in this year.Whats even more dumb is you give this team an extra bye week to prepare and recover,that really pisses me off.I think that board is biased for only the Big 10 and SEC.Ohio State should be @ #4 if at all for not playing in that conference title game-who's to say they win if they had.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I really think you have to look at overall record, followed closely by strength of schedule/quality wins. Head to head and conference championships should be used as tie-breakers when those things are equal. Is that not what happened in 2014?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":r398r7in said:
I really think you have to look at overall record, followed closely by strength of schedule/quality wins. Head to head and conference championships should be used as tie-breakers when those things are equal. Is that not what happened in 2014?
Ok Fender I don't recall that well but why should Ohio State get a extra week off from everyone else?The other teams risked losses and injuries is my point,They don't get that extra week to heal,rest or practice either.I guess I'm the funny duck since I have not seen many share this viewpoint.I better stop because this thread is for our game,the one nobody seems to think we can win but I BELIEVE- GO DAWGS!!!

davidonmi

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1bz6vs05 said:
Rat":1bz6vs05 said:
There goes UW's marquee win, getting blasted by Oklahoma State.

Like I said:

UW 10 ... Alabama 52

I stand by that score. It will be over by halftime, with Alabama up 35 zip
no. I don't think UW will win, but this is just ridiculous