Watson to the Browns!

NY Hawk

Reaction score
Looks more and more like Baker may be coming here. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Rat

Reaction score
I feel so bad for Browns fans. As a lifelong Buckeye fan, I've met a lot of good ones.

I hope this gets us Baker though. He'd be so much more fun to root for than the past few years of Russ. I love his passion and moxie.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Hawknight":1etbqvzw said:
Fully guaranteed $230 million/5 years...wow
Wow!
Well, like they say, if you can get it, get it. Maybe now the AFC North can be a fight between the Browns & Bengals. The Steelers can finish last for a while.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What a difference a day makes. Just yesterday there were reports he told the Browns he wasn't interested. Browns have overpaid. If that is what it took, then glad he said no to the Seahawks early.

Rat

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2v6d0vxr said:
What a difference a day makes. Just yesterday there were reports he told the Browns he wasn't interested. Browns have overpaid. If that is what it took, then glad he said no to the Seahawks early.

Deshaun rejected the Browns, but they wouldn't take no for an answer and persisted. He respected that.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Rat":144292qt said:
I feel so bad for Browns fans. As a lifelong Buckeye fan, I've met a lot of good ones.

I hope this gets us Baker though. He'd be so much more fun to root for than the past few years of Russ. I love his passion and moxie.

Totally agree. And the Browns, who were wanting a little much for Baker, have zero leverage now. Throw them a 4th, nothing more. Probably have to give Baker 3/50, which I'd be good with.

TAB420

Reaction score
And the bar keeps going up. Makes you wonder what Russ will demand.

imnachos12

Reaction score
Holy schnikes that's a kings ransom. But man... AFC North is going to be a bloodbath.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
TAB420":1cykryu1 said:
And the bar keeps raising. Makes you wonder what Russ will demand.

Russ ain't sniffin that kind of money.

acctingman

Reaction score
I think the Colts and Panthers will offer more for Mayfield than the Hawks would?

TAB420

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":pptfja7n said:
TAB420":pptfja7n said:

We'll see. I think it will be around 50 mil a year. The Donkeys won't let him walk after what they gave up.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Aircrew":2q6bbzrw said:
Rat":2q6bbzrw said:

Totally agree. And the Browns, who were wanting a little much for Baker, have zero leverage now. Throw them a 4th, nothing more. Probably have to give Baker 3/50, which I'd be good with.

Mayfield is getting $19M fully guaranteed in 2022 for the 5th year of his (first-round) rookie contract. I don't think he's going to want the drop in pay a $17M-per-year extension would be.

Realistically, would the Seahawks have any shot at a championship with Baker Mayfield as their QB? I don't see it, so I don't think getting an already-expensive (and already-shown-not-to-be-top-tier) QB makes sense for the Seahawks.

When I say "expensive" here, I'm not comparing him to QBs who make $40M+ per year. I'm comparing him to players on rookie contracts. Is it really worth $19M for 2022 plus the need to give him an extension, just to get what we can expect to be roughly the 20th-best QB in the NFL? I'd rather have a nobody on a rookie contract for a year, with an eye toward using next year's draft capital to get a QB who will be inexpensive for four years (and very cost-controlled for a fifth year if he's good enough in his first three to merit the team picking up his fifth-year option). It's true that the draft is a crapshoot, but I'd rather have a young and cheap QB who might turn into a good player than a guy who's already expensive and looks very likely never to be anything more than adequate (let's say somewhere in the middle third of starters if he continues to perform as "well" as he did in 2018-2020, bottom quarter if he's as bad as in 2021) in the NFL.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
TAB420":2old4h4q said:
Mistashoesta":2old4h4q said:
TAB420":2old4h4q said:

We'll see. I think it will be around 50 mil a year. The Donkeys won't let him walk after what they gave up.

Will the Broncos want to give up $50M per year if suddenly their QB is among the most-sacked in the NFL and he refuses to take (or simply fails to see) opportunities underneath because he's looking for home runs?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Lagartixa":3tck8tw2 said:
Will the Broncos want to give up $50M per year if suddenly their QB is among the most-sacked in the NFL and he refuses to take (or simply fails to see) opportunities underneath because he's looking for home runs?

They won't see any of that until after they've already signed his extension.