We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

Jville

Reaction score
I liked following Jacob Martin. But, John Schneider and staff have a rather consistent and trust worthy track record of finding that type of rush prospect.

IMHO, Mingo didn't fit in the end and his departure helps the cap.

The future third round pick is affordable.

The significant cost of Clowney's deal will be in the details of the negotiated contract and it's impact on the cap.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/1167829125278486528[/tweet]

Pretty much everyone is saying that the Texans just got mugged in one of the worst trades in NFL history. Time will tell whether that turns out to be the case, but boy does it look like it right now. Straight up highway robbery.

uncle fester

Reaction score
McGruff":18cunk83 said:
uncle fester":18cunk83 said:
Flat-Out Robbery. Schneider is a genius.

JS was greatly helped by Clowney himself.

Basically said, I will play for Seattle or no one.

Fair, but I don’t get why O’Brien didn’t dig his heels in for OL help.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sort of feels like the league office is going to step in and negate the trade just out of fundamental fairness.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe in the last 5 months we have essentially traded Clark a 2, a 3, Mingo and Martin for Clowney and a 1 and 3. JS has got to be keeping his balls in a semi truck!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Didn't realize the Seahawks can't renegotiate a new deal with him b/c he was traded while on the franchise tag after the July 15 deadline.

So no matter what he's an unrestricted free agent after this year, making it essentially a one year rental.*

Assuming he stays healthy this year it's still a very good trade for the Seahawks, but that takes it from an unbelievably good trade to a very good one, IMO.

*They could technically tag him for about 20 million for a second year on the tag, but that's unlikely given that he's already made it really clear he has no intention of playing for a team that tags him.

timmat

Reaction score
Curious if an extension is coming, or if he’s a 1yr rental? Deal makes a little (very little) more sense for Texans if it’s a rental.

Edit - I see now we can’t negotiate an extension.

sutz

Reaction score
So, is the real winner of this trade Shaqueem Griffin? :twisted:

J/K, mostly. :laugh:

Pretty good deal. Martin might be a starter on another squad, and Mingo is not without skills. I suspect Houston's cap status might have had quite a bit to do with this trade, too. Clowney kind of had them by the short hairs.

This could catapult from playoff contender to SB possible. :stirthepot:

xStickybudz

Reaction score
If that’s the trade that’s actual robbery and I will now proceed to build a shrine of John Schneider in my yard

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1vqmipeh said:
Didn't realize the Seahawks can't renegotiate a new deal with him b/c he was traded while on the franchise tag after the July 15 deadline.

So no matter what he's an unrestricted free agent after this year, making it essentially a one year rental.*

Assuming he stays healthy this year it's still a very good trade for the Seahawks, but that takes it from an unbelievably good trade to a very good one, IMO.

*They could technically tag him for about 20 million for a second year on the tag, but that's unlikely given that he's already made it really clear he has no intention of playing for a team that tags him.

Players want stability, and Seattle is a stable organization. Arguably more than any other team in the NFC West, and most of the NFC. He’s re-signing, we gave up backup LBs, and this is very GREAT deal for a young player. Who’ll play under great defensive minds

McGruff

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ygeznlhw said:

There is a negotiating window on internal free agents where he can be re-signed between the end of the season and the beginning of free agency.

GoGGell

Reaction score
Nope, we have traded Clark, Mingo, Martin and a 3rd round pick for Clowney, 6 rookies in 2019 and a 2nd round pick in 2020. WHAT A DEAL!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Whoa! I highly expect there to be a warrant out for John Schneider's arrest soon. Jadeveon Clowney for a 3rd round pick, Jacob Martin, and Mingo?!? Holy cats!! That truly IS robbery!!! LOL!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Very excited to have Clowney here-a marquee acquisition that's going to be an immediate impact. Sad to see Martin go as he has upside but in conjunction wirh just a 3rd and not a 2nd as expected, this was a good move by JS.

Let's just hope we can sign him after the season to a long-term deal or if we don't, we don't also lose the comp pick from our FA signings.

It's also encouraging to finally see a major trade involving players for player. I hope this will facilitate more player for
player(s) trades throughout the league and not just stubbornly limited to trading for picks. The league has always been odd in this way compared to other sports.

Latest posts