We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

Seymour

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":er226y34 said:
Seymour":er226y34 said:
This is a really bad trade and one that will once again bite us in the ass!!!

Pete and John have lost their minds. :pukeface:
Considering your nickname you seem surprisingly short sighted.

Exact opposite. You are excited for all of 1 years play the way it stands now. I'm looking to the future and learned from from Richardson deal that 1 year rentals blow up in your face if you fail in the post season.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Fade":2f7v2v1n said:
A-Dog":2f7v2v1n said:
Clemons
Avril
Irvin
Clowney

Are not 5 techniques.

Clowney is very different from those others. He has unreal strength and power. He consistently dominates setting the edge vs the run in a way none of those others could do on their best day. He is much more versatile than those guys are.

I’m not saying he *is* a 5-Tech. I’m saying he could play that position effectively and if Pete & Norton want to line up with one Clowney could do it and excel in that role. I don’t think it’s unlikely that we see that at times since we have a top LEO candidate already in Ansah.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Seymour":1obnsh5q said:
UK_Seahawk":1obnsh5q said:
Seymour":1obnsh5q said:

Exact opposite. You are excited for all of 1 years play the way it stands now. I'm looking to the future and learned from from Richardson deal that 1 year rentals blow up in your face if you fail in the post season.

Except they gave up peanuts for him so....

Fade

Reaction score
Seymour":1h35oo29 said:
UK_Seahawk":1h35oo29 said:
Seymour":1h35oo29 said:

It could again let's say.

Doomsday scenario:

1 yrs rental, and don't get a comp pick.

The Seahawks lose 7-10M in cap space. (They offset his cap hit by moving vets off the roster.)

They lose a 3rd rd pick, and Jacob Martin.

But unlike the Richardson situation the Seahawks have a ton of picks, and a ton of cap space upcoming to negate this.

Seattle has done a much better job of mitigating the risk this time compared to their previous blockbuster trades.

I'm not trying to change your mind btw, just hoping I can make you feel a little bit better about the trade.

What is your grade on this trade? Like how much do you hate it?

Fade

Reaction score
A-Dog":1z04c6h8 said:
Fade":1z04c6h8 said:
A-Dog":1z04c6h8 said:
Clemons
Avril
Irvin
Clowney

Are not 5 techniques.

Clowney is very different from those others. He has unreal strength and power. He consistently dominates setting the edge vs the run in a way none of those others could do on their best day. He is much more versatile than those guys are.

I’m not saying he *is* a 5-Tech. I’m saying he could play that position effectively and if Pete & Norton want to line up with one Clowney could do it and excel in that role. I don’t think it’s unlikely that we see that at times since we have a top LEO candidate already in Ansah.

Consistently dominates the edge.... You said it, not me.

Setting the edge is not a 5Techs job. They are responsible for the B or C gap, sometimes both.

The Sam is on the same side as the 5T, and it is his job to set the edge.

The Leo & Sam set the edge not the 5T. :D

A-Dog

Reaction score
My point was that he’s much more powerful than typical LEOs like the guys you mentioned. You haven’t disagreed with my point that Clowney is physically capable of playing positions other than LEO (such as 5T) so my takeaway is that you agree he could play other positions but you think we’d get the most out of him at LEO (or maybe 7T), which is fair.

massari

Reaction score
I was hoping they'd stock up more cap space with rollover for the coming seasons while loading up young cheap depth and talent from the draft, then next season or the season after (when the time is right) go out and buy some big free agents for a stacked roster.

But they got him for next to nothing (considering the'll likely get the 3rd back a year later) and as long as they have Wilson/Carson/Lockett and Wagner/Reed on each side, they have a decent chance at the SB.

Lets hope for good health and the DB's/WR's to step up.

Fade

Reaction score
A-Dog":27sd57ib said:
My point was that he’s much more powerful than typical LEOs like the guys you mentioned. You haven’t disagreed with my point that Clowney is physically capable of playing positions other than LEO (such as 5T) so my takeaway is that you agree he could play other positions but you think we’d get the most out of him at LEO (or maybe 7T), which is fair.

He isn't playing 5T when they utilize one in there defense, I'm genuinely sorry if that hurts your feelings.

He will set the edge in the Base, and rush the passer in Nickel.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I was opposed to this trade but this is a steal for Seattle. I didn’t want to give up a 2nd round pick but A mid third round pick for an elite level pass rusher? Yeah that’s a deal I make. Mingo was on the bubble anyway and Martin just wasn’t going to get it done this year.

Seattle fleeced Houston who botched the situation from the beginning.

Even if we don’t keep Clowney long term, this is a no brainer.

quadsas

Reaction score
I see absolutely no downsides to this deal. Even if it's just a rental and we do not get a pick back, 3rd rounder for a guy of such talent is an absolute steal even if for a season

Cartire

Reaction score
Scorpion05":16isxg66 said:
Cyrus12":16isxg66 said:
TwilightError":16isxg66 said:
So, should John Schneider´s statue be as tall as the Space Needle or taller?
Jimmy Graham...Percy Harvin....

Those trades were not nearly the disasters some of you pretend that they were

Percy could be seen as a dud easily. But a big 'BS' on anyone who pretends that Harvin wasn't the best WR at the moment, bar none, and the trade was good. He had highlights for the few games he was here, but otherwise, the investment was a major negative. He wasn't needed.

Graham was great for us. He was a great TE and actually gave Russ a Red Zone threat, especially his last year. Dude had a almost career ending injury and still came back to put up great numbers. Should have gotten Comeback Player.
Yeah, sucks we couldn't keep him for a decent price, but I dont think we were fleeced in the trade at all.

Both trades, every GM would have made. Those were both generational talents that we unfortunately couldn't get great value out of.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You are so incorrect Cartire.

Harvin had a track record of behavior, injuries, "injuries", and other issues. Not only did he repeat and build on that track record - but his cost destroyed our ability to reload because of the draft cost. Oh, and he cost us Golden Tate - which you could argue almost assuredly would have won us another SB. With Tate, we don't lose that SB against New England as a for instance. Harvin kept this team from being a dynasty.

Then we have Graham, a guy that was already well known to us as a player that got 'alligator arms' when facing our defense. A guy that we had stories of our defense intimidating before the game. Trading for him destroyed our offense line, killed our run game, led to Lynch eventually leaving and for the most part....he never produced enough to make up for what he cost. He was a soft player that ended up injured anyway, but even when healthy never made up for the damage that trade did to our line or the other draft pick we lost.

BOTH were terrible moves and they were clearly terrible moves before the deal happened.

Clowney probably is not as good as Clark as a pass rusher (though we will see if the 4-3 is better for him) but he plays the run well. Maybe that trade works out, at least he is playing for a new contract so he probably won't be unmotivated (an issue with him). This should work out for us.

But the Harvin and Graham deals were stupid when they were made, Stupid after they were made. And glaringly bad moves even before they took the field for us.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I wonder how many idiots criticizing us for this deal seem to forget that Marshawn Lynch, who is practically deified here, was not drafted by us, he was a struggling malcontent we flipped low round picks for. Not all trades are going to be bad. At least give Clowney a chance, we gave up very little.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Fade":3glupqwp said:
He isn't playing 5T when they utilize one in there defense.

Well if he does, I'm sure you'll find a way to revise your original proclamation

Fade

Reaction score
A-Dog":36cs7cai said:
Fade":36cs7cai said:
He isn't playing 5T when they utilize one in there defense.

Well if he does, I'm sure you'll find a way to revise your original proclamation

So salty.

I am a stand up guy, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

Just don't confuse when 2 DEs are on the field that one of them is playing 5T.

McGruff

Reaction score
Well, it thiilnk we can agree that Clowney will play all over the place, in various roles, in all kinds of fronts.

Isnt that really all that matters?

McGruff

Reaction score
Also, in popular football parlance, 5 tech for Seattle has become synonymous with the bigger end opposite the LEO.

While it might not be technically correct, that's just how people have come to refer to that roll.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":28gje6as said:
UK_Seahawk":28gje6as said:
Seymour":28gje6as said:

It's been clearly explained that we give up zero in the future if he turns into a 1 year rental. At this point you are just arguing to argue.

Fade

Reaction score
McGruff":dpr6o8lf said:
Also, in popular football parlance, 5 tech for Seattle has become synonymous with the bigger end opposite the LEO.

While it might not be technically correct, that's just how people have come to refer to that roll.

It's really annoying.

They think the only way both Clowney and Ansah can be on the field at the same time is to stick Clowney at 5T, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Latest posts