Week 3 Power Rankings Roundup

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
edogg23":2mz06an1 said:
I know it was only preseason, but why do people forget the whooping we unleashed on Denver already this year??

Our 1s beat the piss out of their 1s, and our 2s beat the piss out of their 2s. They don't want to think about it because it was preseason; I agree.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":10u7djfv said:
I know it was only preseason, but why do people forget the whooping we unleashed on Denver already this year??

Because it does not fit their agenda.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I like this one from Kirwan:

2. Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks have enough depth that players play hard against teams like Jacksonville because they believe someone will take their spot in the starting lineup if they don't go 100 percent.

14. San Francisco 49ers: Ten points in two weeks, Aldon Smith on his way to rehab and the top running back questioning his coach! The Seattle beating a week ago looks like it caused more damage than I expected.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the various power rankings. I was pulling for the Raiders to defeat the Broncos last night, but it didn't work out. We're 2nd in the AP Pro32 poll. Out of the 11 voters, we got 3 first place votes.

http://pro32.ap.org/poll

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Thank you so much for putting this list together Cartire! I floated this idea a few years ago and was willing to post this list every week along with my Enemy Forum posts, but it got a lukewarm response. I think it was because the team was lukewarm at the time with Mora at the helm. There are a lot of us here that would like it as a sticky every Tuesday this season, especially THIS season... How 'bout it, just for this season Rockhawk and Co.? Place your vote here everybody! I vote YES!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Cartire":27zrlp88 said:
Heres power rankings from the big outlets. Figure it might be nice to just put them all in once post.

NFL.com #1 http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... rs-plummet
Well, at one point in the second half Sunday, the Jacksonville Jaguars got within 21 points.

ESPN.com #1 http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/4
The Seahawks' pass defense leads the league with a minus-4 TD-Int differential. Only 12 teams even have four interceptions this year. Good road challenges await in Houston and Indy.

Foxsports.com #2 http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings/2013/3
Is there a tougher place to play in the NFL than Seattle right now? With the 49ers struggling and a head-to-head win already in the books, the Seahawks hold a comfortable two-game lead in the NFC West.

CBSsports.com #2 http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings
They have looked as good as any team in the league so far. Now they get a real chance to show how good if they can win at Houston.

Yahoo.com #1 http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html
Still haven't seen one reason to knock them out of the top spot.

BleacherReport.com #1 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1783 ... -4/page/33
The most exciting part of this team is how it continues to improve as some of its best players are on the bench or in the training room.

profootballtalk #2 http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ankings-4/
At least one of the young mobile quarterbacks who did so well in 2012 is still thriving.

Thanks for putting this all in 1 place. We use to never get media, now we're everywhere.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
BlueThunder":6w42ifts said:
Thank you so much for putting this list together Cartire! I floated this idea a few years ago and was willing to post this list every week along with my Enemy Forum posts, but it got a lukewarm response. I think it was because the team was lukewarm at the time with Mora at the helm. There are a lot of us here that would like it as a sticky every Tuesday this season, especially THIS season... How 'bout it, just for this season Rockhawk and Co.? Place your vote here everybody! I vote YES!

YES

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3qzdf7gl said:
A fantastic offense and middling defense doesn't get you the Lombardi most of the time; see: 2005 Seattle Seahawks

So true but had to alter it a bit. What I wouldn't give to have this defense on that team. Big Walt would have gotten his and our first Lombardi for sure.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":2e88n0o5 said:
edogg23":2e88n0o5 said:

Because it does not fit their agenda.

No its because it was preseason. Lets not get delusional and start thinking preseason matters in evaluating teams. Remember Mora Hawks went 4-9

Laloosh

Reaction score
AZ Cardinals started 4-0 last year. When we hit 10-0 I'll start thinking we're a lock for the playoffs lol.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
BlueThunder":326tudka said:
Thank you so much for putting this list together Cartire! I floated this idea a few years ago and was willing to post this list every week along with my Enemy Forum posts, but it got a lukewarm response.

In previous years, the majority of fans did not want to be reminded that we were 27th in the Power Rankings. Things look a lot different when you are #1 or #2. :D

A

Anonymous

E.C. Laloosh":15gc0hqk said:
AZ Cardinals started 4-0 last year. When we hit 10-0 I'll start thinking we're a lock for the playoffs lol.

Your cup is half empty, isn't it Laloosh?

You bring wisdom; true, but it sure tastes bad going down.

Laloosh

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":22c0cejq said:
E.C. Laloosh":22c0cejq said:

Your cup is half empty, isn't it Laloosh?

You bring wisdom; true, but it sure tastes bad going down.

Sorry, can't help it. I do try however...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":34arq410 said:

Arizona Cardinals also had terrible advanced statistics.

Seattle currently has an NFL playoff probability of 99.8%! That means of every 1000 teams, only 2 wouldn't make the playoffs. Seattle is that good.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'd personally prefer Denver to be ranked higher than us all the way to the SB. We are a very young team, and as mature (and well led) as we appear to be, it would be easy to get caught up in the "we're #1!!" hoopla. Being #2 will keep the "disrespected" attitude that got us where we are today. I want to be no higher than 2 until the final score of the SB shows that we are in reality, #1.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3f3npzgb said:
RolandDeschain":3f3npzgb said:
A fantastic offense and middling defense doesn't get you the Lombardi most of the time; see: 2005 Seattle Seahawks

So true but had to alter it a bit. What I wouldn't give to have this defense on that team. Big Walt would have gotten his and our first Lombardi for sure.

Beat me to it. I instantly thought of our 2005 Seattle Seahawks when I read that first quote.
In truth, the REAL reason we made it to the Super Bowl that year was the DEFENSE. The Holmgren/Hasselbeck/Alexander/W. Jones/Hutchison/et al offense had been tearing up NFL defenses for several consecutive years by that point. We could move the ball and score on ANYBODY for that 3-year period. However, in 2003 & 2004 our defense sucked so bad we couldn't beat any elite teams. In 2005, with the arrival of rookie Lofa Tatupu, and some good luck at players staying healthy, the Seahawks defense finally reached AVERAGE. A lights-out offense, complete with big-time running game, and a middling defense was good enough. Got us to the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately, strong safety Marquand Manuel (our second stringer playing for injured Ken Hamlin) got injured in the 2nd quarter, and the next man up was a man-off-the-street, and the Stealers noticed and directly exploited him for 2 second-half TDs. We were one early season bar fight (Ken Hamlin) away from the Lombardi trophy. (and two zebras away, some would add)

However, I can come up with other counterexamples. Kurt Warner and the St. Louis Rams, the year they won it all. Granted, the Ram's D and Mike Jones made the game-saving play, on a day where Warner struggled. Kurt Warner just makes the original point, though... Warner was 1-2 in Super Bowls, despite being brilliant in all 3 he played in.
A little better defense, even just a little bettter, and Warner would be 3-0. Marginal QB Terry Bradshaw had the Steel Curtain defense on his side, and did fare a little better in Super Bowls.

themunn

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":ome7nrsp said:
RolandDeschain":ome7nrsp said:

At least he'll be trotted out onto the field as a Hall of Famer when we do

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Our OLine is in shambles. I don't expect us to win this weekend. The Line is our Achilles Heel right now. I don't think our D can be on the field that long to take over the game and they WILL be on the field a lot this weekend.

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2tuy39xz said:
Our OLine is in shambles. I don't expect us to win this weekend. The Line is our Achilles Heel right now. I don't think our D can be on the field that long to take over the game and they WILL be on the field a lot this weekend.

I disagree. Houston's secondary isn't exactly stellar. I would expect to see some quick check downs from RW3. It could possibly be an ugly game but I don't see us losing this week.

24-17 hawks