What are the odds of an undefeated season?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":p6vcl6sh said:
Eh, the chance of any team any year going 19-0 is slim to none. That said, the Seahawks have as good a chance as any team for quite a while of pulling off the near-impossible. It ain't gonna happen, but it's nice to think about.

:13: :177692:

Sac

Reaction score
davidonmi":25xmfbkf said:
I don't believe it's a possibility. It's never happened before and maybe never will.
10000-1 maybe?
I think @SF, DEN, GB, and @ARI are our most likely losses.

I'd say @SF and @ARI. We're not losing at home.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Throwdown":ww4qdprw said:
People are afraid of GB? We're gonna punk those clowns

Most "experts" on NFL, CBS, ESPN, FOX, and SI picked the Packers, Saints, Patriots or Denver to win the SB.

Maybe two or three picked us to repeat.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Strictly speaking mathematics...

50% chance to win each game.

Probability of 19 straight wins is 1 in 524288. Pretty long odds.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2ti2q5p1 said:
davidonmi":2ti2q5p1 said:
I don't believe it's a possibility. It's never happened before and maybe never will.
10000-1 maybe?
I think @SF, DEN, GB, and @ARI are our most likely losses.

I'd say @SF and @ARI. We're not losing at home.

After the mishap for us at home vs Zona (with the aid of a blown call), I think Pete and the Hawks will return the favor in Zona. I don't think the tards will be the defensive beast they were last year and Palmer is another year older and likely shittier. With a healthy Harvin (?) I don't think they will be able to outscore us. I don't worry that much about the Niners but I know I should. We are going to lose a game, so @SF seems as good a choice as any to me. But in my gut I see us sweeping both but losing to someone we are not even contemplating. Target on the back and all that.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1lqdlvbh said:
Barthawk":1lqdlvbh said:
Derek not David.. Oakland won their SuperBowl..

I hate that phrase.... don't be a jerk... like San Fran fans after 42-13.

Good God.

We've clearly been out of the AFC West for too long when our own fans are looking out for the feelings of Raider fans.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Blitzer88":q3qcbyte said:
Throwdown":q3qcbyte said:
People are afraid of GB? We're gonna punk those clowns
After what I saw tonight from the first string D, I don't know how to feel about Thursday .........I mean David freaking Carr torched them. And we couldn't stop the run.
I expect Seattle's defense to take a step back. However, I expect the offense to take two or three steps forward.

When I said "they looked unstoppable" in the OP, I meant the OFFENSE. Last year they looked serviceable. So far this year they look elite. And an all time great defense taking a step back still leaves them in the elite category.

The only question is will Wilson truly take a step forward in reading defenses. And despite what so many neophite Hawk fans believe, the fact is much of Wilson's passing success so far has been because he is throwing to wide open wrs due to brilliant scheming or because he makes a brilliant throw to where he had no business throwing. "OneRead" is a cute Hawk nickname for Kaepernick, but the only real difference between the two besides surrounding talent is that Wilson is more accurate and he takes the check down. Neither one has had to truly read defenses much.

Anyone who really knows football sees how huge the route combinations and play calling is in Seattle and how many guys are wide open every play. I don't know how much Bevell is responsible for, but whoever is the culprit is someone I wish I could trade Greg Roman for. Timely screen passes, unorthadox route combination, running out of passing formations, motion WR screens in space; these are things 49er fans like myself can only dream of.

But if Wilson takes that next step, how will anyone stop them? When the Seahawks no longer have to depend on Wilson miracles, that offense will be the class of the league.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
themunn":3ro99cz5 said:
Another way to look at it is if this Seahawks team played this season 165 times with this team would they manage 1 season undefeated? I say absolutely

They'd probably get pretty tired though and there would be a lot of tape on us.

Giblien

Reaction score
Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

How many of us have had 4 months of perfect work performance? Probably very few. For us to think that the Hawks can do that is the peak of optimism (I'm hoping for it, don't get me wrong) but also very unrealistic. There is a reason it has only been done once in the past 50 years: It's very difficult to accomplish.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2m7or48y said:
Sarlacc83":2m7or48y said:
Nice trolling effort, though. Looking to take some posts about delusional 'Hawks fans back to your Niners friends?
:th2thumbs:

*Snicker*

Attachments

• Long time.jpg
    Long time.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 472

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":35gncdug said:
Im not going to comment on the odds of 19-0 this year, but LAST YEAR we would have gone 19-0 if we had a legit #1 WR or even if our rb/sort-of-wr from minny was healthy.

Look at the games we lost last year. Tell me lose a single one of them with a #1 wr or even a healthy harvin. I dare you.

The hawks entered the season with one less WR (coughrunningbackcough) than they had planned on, and Rice was clearly done as a player not long after.

The hawks were that close to 19-0.

If any team can do it, it's us.

The Hawks were as close to 9-7 as they were 19-0

Goes both ways. They easily could have lost to Carolina, Houston, St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

You are what you are. We were 16-3. Not to sound all Al Pacino "Any Given Sunday" style here, but it's a game of inches. Sometimes you lose the games you should win, and you win the games you should lose. That's why we're not going 19-0 and that's why no team is going 19-0.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1m5f6z6r said:
bjornanderson21":1m5f6z6r said:
Im not going to comment on the odds of 19-0 this year, but LAST YEAR we would have gone 19-0 if we had a legit #1 WR or even if our rb/sort-of-wr from minny was healthy.

Look at the games we lost last year. Tell me lose a single one of them with a #1 wr or even a healthy harvin. I dare you.

The hawks entered the season with one less WR (coughrunningbackcough) than they had planned on, and Rice was clearly done as a player not long after.

The hawks were that close to 19-0.

If any team can do it, it's us.

The Hawks were as close to 9-7 as they were 19-0

Goes both ways. They easily could have lost to Carolina, Houston, St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

You are what you are. We were 16-3. Not to sound all Al Pacino "Any Given Sunday" style here, but it's a game of inches. Sometimes you lose the games you should win, and you win the games you should lose. That's why we're not going 19-0 and that's why no team is going 19-0.

To be fair, we could have easily beaten the 49ers in SFO, and the Colts game on the road was just bizarre and that game should have been a W.

Not to mention the strange loss at home to the Cards, that game just felt like a team letdown honestly.

You could throw last years team in a simulation a 1,000 times and I don't think it would come back at 9-7 once unless Wilson, Lynch and Sherman got hurt for long periods of time.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":9xicazbh said:
Undefeated yes, 19-0 no. Do you have any idea how much less parity there was in the NFL back then? They had to make it through fewer games, too. It's way harder now than when the Dolphins did it. Not to mitigate their accomplishment, but it's hardly comparable.

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
I hate the loser mentality of Seattle fans. We have had such lame sports teams for so long that many of you fans have become losers. Last year, most people were predicting 11 or 12 wins - and not getting home field advantage for the playoffs. Many thought the chances of a lowly sports town like Seattle winning a Super Bowl were remote at best. At this time last year, most fans could not get themselves to believe that we had the best team in the league, although those of us were open minded enough to look saw that it was obvious and that winning a championship was very likely. Personally, I didn't think there was any way we would *not* win it all, just like I don't see any way that the Seahawks won't repeat this season.

You have to believe. Pete Carroll won 34 in a row at USC. If they had calculated the odds before that, it would have been impossible. Miami had a perfect -- albeit 16-game -- season, when everyone said it could not be done. New England should have done it in 2007-08, except for a huge upset and miraculous last. Inute drive by the Giants. College and high school teams have undefeated seasons all the time. Great teams have great seasons in all sports all the time -- and the Seahawks are a great team

I don't think people comprehend how good this team is, just like the didn't understand just how good the 2012, then 2013 teams were. This team is *significantly* better than last year. Most fans have not noticed just how much better the team got through the five weeks of playoffs, concluding with the Super Bowl; and how much they have improved since then,

This could very well be the best team in the history of the NFL. The losers will scoff, but like the original poster said, there are no weaknesses and plenty of strengths. Each and every position group is the strongest it has been in the Pete Carroll era, better than they were in the Super Bowl. Our magnificent core of young players have continued to improve and have matured into a tremendous leadership group. He might not have the career record of other coaches in the NFL, but at this point in time Pete Carroll could be better than any other coach at any other point in time in the history of football.

We can look at every game individually, including the road games and we can see that the Seahawks should win each of those games, including SF on the road on Thanksgivng. If we treat each game as a championship game and go 1-0 in each and every one of them, we will go undefeated. If we get home field advantage for the playoffs, we will go to the Super Bowl. If we make it to the Super Bowl, I really like our chances of winning it.

Fans need to believe. We have to believe together. It is hard to do something if you don't believe you can do it.

New England is the opposite of Seattle as far as winnIng sports teams. They have won as much as we have lost. When they took a poll on one the New England Patriots forums, 75% of their fans fantasized about an undefeated season. Those fans are winners and are not afraid to dream and reach for great things. (I am pretty sure Seattle fans would be below 10% in such a poll.) It is one of the reasons the Patriots came within one miracle play -- with Eli Manning eluding three tacklers and winging the ball toward the middle field where David Tyree catches the ball one handed against his helmet with about a minute to go in the game -- of going 19-0.

I dream all the time about an undefeated season. It is a very real possibility. The Seahawks can do it. If any team can do it, it is this team, this year. The players believe. They can do it in spite of their pessimistic, loser-mentality fan base.

Don't listen to the losers. This team is capable of greatness.

Smellyman

Reaction score
wow. you know none of us play the games?

Bob_the_Destroyer":1gf4ltys said:
I hate the loser mentality of Seattle fans. We have had such lame sports teams for so long that many of you fans have become losers. Last year, most people were predicting 11 or 12 wins - and not getting home field advantage for the playoffs. Many thought the chances of a lowly sports town like Seattle winning a Super Bowl were remote at best. At this time last year, most fans could not get themselves to believe that we had the best team in the league, although those of us were open minded enough to look saw that it was obvious and that winning a championship was very likely. Personally, I didn't think there was any way we would *not* win it all, just like I don't see any way that the Seahawks won't repeat this season.

You have to believe. Pete Carroll won 34 in a row at USC. If they had calculated the odds before that, it would have been impossible. Miami had a perfect -- albeit 16-game -- season, when everyone said it could not be done. New England should have done it in 2007-08, except for a huge upset and miraculous last. Inute drive by the Giants. College and high school teams have undefeated seasons all the time. Great teams have great seasons in all sports all the time -- and the Seahawks are a great team

I don't think people comprehend how good this team is, just like the didn't understand just how good the 2012, then 2013 teams were. This team is *significantly* better than last year. Most fans have not noticed just how much better the team got through the five weeks of playoffs, concluding with the Super Bowl; and how much they have improved since then,

This could very well be the best team in the history of the NFL. The losers will scoff, but like the original poster said, there are no weaknesses and plenty of strengths. Each and every position group is the strongest it has been in the Pete Carroll era, better than they were in the Super Bowl. Our magnificent core of young players have continued to improve and have matured into a tremendous leadership group. He might not have the career record of other coaches in the NFL, but at this point in time Pete Carroll could be better than any other coach at any other point in time in the history of football.

We can look at every game individually, including the road games and we can see that the Seahawks should win each of those games, including SF on the road on Thanksgivng. If we treat each game as a championship game and go 1-0 in each and every one of them, we will go undefeated. If we get home field advantage for the playoffs, we will go to the Super Bowl. If we make it to the Super Bowl, I really like our chances of winning it.

Fans need to believe. We have to believe together. It is hard to do something if you don't believe you can do it.

New England is the opposite of Seattle as far as winnIng sports teams. They have won as much as we have lost. When they took a poll on one the New England Patriots forums, 75% of their fans fantasized about an undefeated season. Those fans are winners and are not afraid to dream and reach for great things. (I am pretty sure Seattle fans would be below 10% in such a poll.) It is one of the reasons the Patriots came within one miracle play -- with Eli Manning eluding three tacklers and winging the ball toward the middle field where David Tyree catches the ball one handed against his helmet with about a minute to go in the game -- of going 19-0.

I dream all the time about an undefeated season. It is a very real possibility. The Seahawks can do it. If any team can do it, it is this team, this year. The players believe. They can do it in spite of their pessimistic, loser-mentality fan base.

Don't listen to the losers. This team is capable of greatness.