What Bevell do we see vs Panthers?

ctrcat

Reaction score
In the first matchup they did not even dare attempt throwing Norman's way. Will be interesting to see if they at least try this time.

Largent80

Reaction score
Conditions are going to be way better this Sunday. Russ was just off on his long passes but I love that they tried them.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ctrcat":112uy2dt said:
In the first matchup they did not even dare attempt throwing Norman's way. Will be interesting to see if they at least try this time.

Unless Norman messes up and gets burned by Lockett, I don't see the point when the rest of your secondary is as weak as it is. There will be other players open.

The biggest question is can we stay committed to the run game against a very powerful front seven, and whether Russell Wilson's scrambling can buy enough time to find those open receivers.

hawker84

Reaction score
It was flipping cold people, I mean colder than your freezer at home. Not sure why it's so hard for some folks to understand that that played a huge roll in what we could and could not do on offense, how many times have you seen Russ throw up lame duck after lame duck on the deep passes to Lockett or Baldwin, 9 times out of ten those are beautiful deep balls, and especially baldwins would have been a sure TD. I took nothing away from this game other than the D played lights out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bevell wasn't at his best Sunday, The Vikes were doing a good job of zoning the short game, daring passes further down the field on a day when deep passing was more about PI and hope than anything else, but lets not forget that Seattle has two JAGS at TE and backups to backups at RB.

It was also a bit of the classic we kicked their ass last time doing this, so let's do this again, and the Vikings adjusted. I thought their pass defenders were awesome at killing rub routes, a lot of what seem like Bevell dialing up deep shots, well IMO it was Russ looking for second and third options when his spread O quick routes were simply not there.

I don't know how to call a great game in those conditions. Both teams were daring the other QB to beat them, taking away the run as best they could. Every pass play felt like bad timing, for both teams. Touch was damn near impossible. Speed guys were a step slow, guys are all layered up and moving not quite the same, timing in the pass game was simply off. Credit to the Vikings for taking away easy passing. And Credit for Zimmer for playing the weather to his advantage.

I hated the first two passes. Both had the WR staring back into the sun. But by and large I didn't dislike the playcalling. The getting the plays in late and seeming not to have a great plan for poor comms, that is a different issue.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3h7hnj5m said:
Conditions are going to be way better this Sunday. Russ was just off on his long passes but I love that they tried them.

I don't think he was off at all, it really had everything to do with the -6 temps... as in baseball all those home runs getting blasted out of the park during 85 degree temp day games are just long outs during heavier, colder 65 degree night games... Wilson's long balls were short and looked like they were taking for ever to drill their way through that heavy air, 30+ degrees below freezing..... I kinda thought they should have known this simple fact, but I'm just a fan.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":n6x3e0ak said:
hawknation2015":n6x3e0ak said:
theENGLISHseahawk":n6x3e0ak said:
When the offense is performing it's the players.

When the offense struggles it's on Bevell.

Same old Seahawks.net.

And, don't forget, Bevell is NEVER responsible for a bad play call, i.e. that stupid bubble screen.

Bubble screens work. They get yards sometimes and they at least keep the defense honest.
With all due respect, hogwash, they rarely work.

CPHawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":34i5aj4y said:
kearly":34i5aj4y said:
I think the offense returns to normal next week. It took Wilson about three quarters to adjust to the cold, but after that the offense looked okay.

What is normal now that beast is (hypothetically) back?

Has anyone seen the normal BM this year? I sure haven't. As for the play calling, go to Alaska and play catch, tell me how easy it is to throw and catch a ball when your hands numb.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":38gaoc57 said:

Same old Seahawks.net.

Do you have any actual response to Falcongoggles' comments on the playbook?

I'd have to go over it again myself, but at least contribute to the thread, Rob.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ew8p48d said:
Bevell wasn't at his best Sunday, The Vikes were doing a good job of zoning the short game, daring passes further down the field on a day when deep passing was more about PI and hope than anything else, but lets not forget that Seattle has two JAGS at TE and backups to backups at RB.

It was also a bit of the classic we kicked their ass last time doing this, so let's do this again, and the Vikings adjusted. I thought their pass defenders were awesome at killing rub routes, a lot of what seem like Bevell dialing up deep shots, well IMO it was Russ looking for second and third options when his spread O quick routes were simply not there.

I don't know how to call a great game in those conditions. Both teams were daring the other QB to beat them, taking away the run as best they could. Every pass play felt like bad timing, for both teams. Touch was damn near impossible. Speed guys were a step slow, guys are all layered up and moving not quite the same, timing in the pass game was simply off. Credit to the Vikings for taking away easy passing. And Credit for Zimmer for playing the weather to his advantage.

I hated the first two passes. Both had the WR staring back into the sun. But by and large I didn't dislike the playcalling. The getting the plays in late and seeming not to have a great plan for poor comms, that is a different issue.

Great post but that's to be expected from you. Even when I disagree I always feel like your stance is well thought out. Anyway I agree here, just felt like Bevell was a little off today just like Rusell. I know the cold played a huge role so not discounting that either.

I hated 4 of our scripted plays were to Jackon and Kearse, just wasn't a fan of the conservative start even if I understand it on some level.

I fully expect Bevell, Wilson and the whole offense to look much better next week. I hope we go after that Carolina secondary. I think this is a game where Lockett can take over with extra attention being put on Doug. really hope Bevell's scripted 15 is creative.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This is a fair point. Just because Wilson doesn't throw a slant doesn't mean Bevell attempted no slants. Pass concepts can be taken away by a defender, and all the casual fan will see is Wilson double-clutching.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ctrcat":35do3mml said:

Without Tillman, Norman is a joke. You'll see Sunday. If Norman tries any of the crap he did against Odell Beckham, then he's going to be a short-timer in the game. Think faceplant. The Seahawks won't put up with that type of crap.

Back to the topic, Bevell and Seahawks went ultra-conservative because of the weather. Weather is not going to be an issue next Sunday. The Seahawks didn't have very good starting field position compared to the Vikings yesterday. In weather conditions like that, field position has tremendous impact.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I can tell you this. Normally at games I am in geek heaven. No announcers, just me watching for personnel changes, formations, and what the D is giving away, is the O aligned to create an issue for the D. There is so much more to see, and I had the perfct all-22 seats.

But I had trouble focusing yesterday. It was so bleeping cold. You just think about it all the time. Players might know their job, but the previous play has been over for a split second and the hands in the hand warmer almost before they get off the ground. Everybody is slower. During TV timeouts the line is the only group on the field, and they are jumping all over the place just trying to stay warm. Early on guys were trying to be a bit macho, but by the end of the game they get to the sideline looking for the coat, not the coach. Survival is hardwired in our brains, and the effect it has when conditions are extreme are pretty plain in re-watching the game.

So judging Bevell by a game like this is pointless. The judgement used by coaches and players to select and execute plays ends up being more important than the result of the play, because the result was affected by an overwhelming outside force.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Geologic":2qruwwtc said:
If Wilson hit Tyler Lockett for any of those deep passes he threw, no one would be complaining about Bevell. Russell underthrew his deep balls (cold weather maybe affecting him) when Tyler Lockett had the coverage beat. Those would have been touchdowns.

The only thing I hate is the bubble screens to Doug Baldwin. They more then likely do not work out.

I'm wondering if he didn't take the cold into play in calling his plays. Or maybe he called them and Russ was the one to pick to go long. It would be malpractice for Bevell not to have at least somebody go deep (gotta stretch the defense a bit).

As to the bubble screens to Baldwin . . . I saw a few of those (only watched the first quarter and a half or so) and they definitely seemed out of place. He ran a bubble screen to Jimmy Graham once, which I will never forget yet his apologists will never remember.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":37c0m48p said:

Same old Seahawks.net.

Pretty much this. I think Minny had a good game plan to take away our short passing game, knowing passing deep in the conditions yesterday was going to be extremely difficult. They were prepared to take that chance and it (almost) worked.

Is Bevell perfect, no. But the insta-reaction to a bad game being "bad Bevell didn't call good plays" is the wrong way to look at it, IMO. Sometimes you have to give the defense of the other team credit, and they had a great game plan to take what part of our offense away.

Donn2390

Reaction score
hawknation2015":4lysynqk said:
Zebulon Dak":4lysynqk said:
hawknation2015":4lysynqk said:
theENGLISHseahawk":4lysynqk said:

Same old Seahawks.net.

And, don't forget, Bevell is NEVER responsible for a bad play call, i.e. that stupid bubble screen.

Bubble screens work. They get yards sometimes and they at least keep the defense honest.

Like everything, it depends on the timing and who it's drawn up for. There were some piss poor play calls in this game.
They are only "piss poor" when they don't work, when they work, they are genius...!
Pete Carroll chose and believes in Bevell, that should be good enough for all of the "think they know it all" in the peanut gallery.

marko358

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":2xo2ekw4 said:
Wilson's long balls were short and looked like they were taking for ever to drill their way through that heavy air, 30+ degrees below freezing..... I kinda thought they should have known this simple fact, but I'm just a fan.

Simple physics really and a ton of NFL history would have told you that deep passes would behave this way. After the 3rd or 4th deep ball turning into a slowed down duck, you'd think we'd stop calling those plays. Heck they used the cold and wind as a reason not to kick the early FG so why don't those conditions dictate the passing philosophy as well?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Like I said in other threads, I'm willing to give the offense a pass yesterday due to the crazy cold conditions.

Our offense is predicated on the run game opening up play action so Russell can hit on explosive plays down the field.............which he tried. But 2-3 times all that happened is he floated up cold ass balloon balls that didn't get there.

I fully expect us to return to what we've seen out of the offense the past 6-7 weeks on Sunday.