What did our defense do differently vs Cardinals?

toffee

Reaction score
Our 30th ranked defense limited Cardinals' 17th ranked offense (per PFF) to 9 points, we had 6 sacks, 10 tackle for lost, 7 QB hits. In the last few games, our defense couldn't do anything right, this game, it's so different. What adjustments did we make? or just that Cardinals had a bad game?

sutz

Reaction score
Well, it was 3 points, not 9. ;)

I think mostly it was assignment discipline and working together to gel into a cohesive unit. There were some good play calling as well, with some key blitzes getting home. I think it was just paying attention to good basic fundamentals.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Pete said in the presser that Clint made some adjustments and emphasis was on better communication on the field. Diggs alluded to the communication improvement in his presser as well. So, it sounds like they took Bruce's feedback to heart and worked on it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Pete said in the presser that Clint made some adjustments and emphasis was on better communication on the field. Diggs alluded to the communication improvement in his presser as well. So, it sounds like they took Bruce's feedback to heart and worked on it.
Oh wow, Bruce already contributing, without playing ONE down.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Some of the adjustments started last game against the Saints. The defense still played like crap but some of the positive signs were there. They took it up a notch vs the Cardinals. Here are some of the adjustments that I'm aware of.

1) The Hawks are going back to Bear fronts on early downs. DT is not in on those downs. They have Nwosu, Harris, Mone, Poona, and Mafe lining up at the LOS. This allows for one on ones along the line. Players don't need to 2 gap as much. They just need to beat their man and not worry about holding on. This allows the LBs to fire off and play more free. They aren't waiting around for the Dline to hold their blocks. They just fire off now. The edge is still being lost though. They need to get better there. The middle is not being gashed as much.

2) On obvious passing downs, they rolled out DT to attack the QB. They take Barton off and put in Ryan Neal to roam around in a dime package. Josh Jones is the SS. Neal's sack was a pretty cool blitz. They were showing 5 up front to blitz. They rushed Neal while dropping Nwosu and Brooks. Confused the heck out of the Cardinals.

**The next adjustments are to figure out the edges and the other CB position. They need someone to step up and set the edge more so plays get turned back inside. They also need one of Burns, S. Jones, or Tre Brown to step up into the LCB role. Not a huge hole but it can elevate the defense even more.

Scout

Reaction score
Hitting gaps and staying home. Also using DT in pass rushing situations is an improvement. Communication is a big part of it as well.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The main thing they did differently was play an offense that's complete ass.
Their offense was 16th ranked, they scored:

21 vs Chief's 12th ranked defense
29 vs Raiders' 23rd
12 vs Rams' 5th
26 vs Panthers' 19th
17 vs Eagles' 6th
9 vs Hawks.

Have you considered the angle that Cardinals' offense was a complete ass BECAUSE we played them tough? It really is OK to praise our boys some :)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Didnt get to watch the game, but if the defense played well, thats a promising change.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Their offense was 16th ranked, they scored:

21 vs Chief's 12th ranked defense
29 vs Raiders' 23rd
12 vs Rams' 5th
26 vs Panthers' 19th
17 vs Eagles' 6th
9 vs Hawks.

Have you considered the angle that Cardinals' offense was a complete ass BECAUSE we played them tough? It really is OK to praise our boys some :)
I really really hope you are right

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Our 30th ranked defense limited Cardinals' 17th ranked offense (per PFF) to 9 points, we had 6 sacks, 10 tackle for lost, 7 QB hits. In the last few games, our defense couldn't do anything right, this game, it's so different. What adjustments did we make? or just that Cardinals had a bad game?

From where I was sitting there were a lot of different formations used along the front seven. Barton was barely used (probably a good thing). There were times we had 2 DT's in and even a couple times we had 1 DT and 4 EDGE. But in the end it was commitment on running plays and some advantageous one on one matches with the interior of the AZ line.

Then I noticed our coverages were stickier and there was a lot of coverage sacks.

Jake Hawks

Reaction score
Well, it was 3 points, not 9. ;)

I think mostly it was assignment discipline and working together to gel into a cohesive unit. There were some good play calling as well, with some key blitzes getting home. I think it was just paying attention to good basic fundamentals.
Technically 0 points since special teams kicked the field goal. 😝 Defensive shutout!

chrispy

Reaction score
D seems to be getting better...both player execution and expanding playbook.

I believe Cards O played poorly too. In my opinion, they're looking a week ahead to getting DHopkins back off PED suspension.