What is the best trade in Seahawks history?

Best trade in Hawks history?

• 8th round pick (1977) to Houston Oilers for Steve Largent

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • Fredd Young to Indianapolis Colts for 1st round pick (#15, 1989) and 1st round pick (#10, 1990)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rick Mirer and 4th round pick (1997) to Chicago Bears for 1st round pick (#11, 1997)

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 1st round pick (#12, 1997) and 3rd round pick (1997) to Tampa Bay for 1st round pick (#6, 1997, beca

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Joey Galloway to Dallas Cowboys for 1st round pick (#19, 2000, became Shaun Alexander) and 1st round

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 2nd round pick (2009) to Denver Broncos for 1st round pick (#14, 2010, became Earl Thomas)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 4th round pick (2011) and 5th round pick (2012) to Buffalo Bills for Marshawn Lynch

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Frank Clark and 3rd round pick (2019) to Kansas City Chiefs for 1st round pick (#29, 2019), 3rd roun

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Barkevious Mingo, Jacob Martin, and 3rd Round Pick (2020) to Houston Texans for Jadeveon Clowney

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Chawker

Reaction score
Maulbert":l64ir9fq said:
Chawker":l64ir9fq said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't Largent trade part of sending Tony Dorsett to the Cowboys? :stirthepot:

No. We dealt for Largent at the end of training camp in 1976. We dealt the #2 overall pick to Dallas shortly before the 1977 draft.

Ok, that had to have been one of the worst trades we ever made.

seabowl

Reaction score
Rick Miter trade is #1. He was ranked almost dead last in QB rating. I'm 1996. 5 TDS and 12 int's with 51% completion rate. Just horrible. We trade him for the 12th pick in the draft???

Don't get me wrong the Largent trade was great but he was still an unknown at that point. Miter sucked and we still get a high 1st rounder. That's ridiculous.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Chawker":8hy6b1ch said:
Maulbert":8hy6b1ch said:
Chawker":8hy6b1ch said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't Largent trade part of sending Tony Dorsett to the Cowboys? :stirthepot:

No. We dealt for Largent at the end of training camp in 1976. We dealt the #2 overall pick to Dallas shortly before the 1977 draft.

Ok, that had to have been one of the worst trades we ever made.

There was a rumor that Dorsett warned the Hawks that if they took him, he'd go to the CFL. I don't know if that's true, but if so, dick move.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3fizhxp2 said:
vin.couve12":3fizhxp2 said:
SixSeahawk":3fizhxp2 said:
Lynch = Super Bowl

Everyone else = nothing.
Exactly. Not that the others were actually nothing, but the ultimate goal is the ultimate goal.

So Lynch was a great RB but apparently a great GM, coach and owner too?

Sorry, I think the Lynch transaction was huge but without everything that went into making that team, he has no trophies.

How many trophies did he win with Buffalo?
What is it that you don't understand about it? Lynch is largely credited with bringing a certain attitude and toughness to the team that was infectious to even the defense. Many fans don't think much of him. Call him a thug and a gangster and really meaning other things, but by all accounts of his teammates he was a caring, big brother of a leader who even helped people with their finances. When the lights came on, however, the beast mode mentality of kicking ass and taking no prisoners saturated everyone on the team. If that trade was for Adrian Peterson, Seattle is still without a Lombardi. That attitude even helped shape that defense. Obviously Pete, John, and a whole host of other players had a hell of a lot to do with it overall, but the timing was right and the chemistry was right....for a time anyway. Just enough time. The single most important time in franchise history.

The End

chris98251

Reaction score
We took Steve August for the Dorsett deal and a couple other guys #30-Tom Lynch, #41-Terry Beeson, #54-Glenn Carano we got for the rights to him.

Tony said he would not report and sit out back then of he was taken by an expansion team.

Beeson panned out the rest...…..

sc85sis

Reaction score
Lynch is not the (only) reason why we got to and won the Super Bowl. He is a big part of it, however, and he did help set the team’s identity. There is a reason Pete bugged John for weeks, and John then hit up Buffalo repeatedly, until John was able to complete the trade. Pete wanted a tough runner with attitude and he knew Marshawn could be that guy.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Mad Dog":kicph34r said:
There are trades that in retrospect are great and those that at the time were robbery. Today’s trade is the latter. The Largent trade at the time was merely to get him before he was going to be cut anyways. It wasn’t robbery. Just beating the waiver wire. In retrospect it was awesome.

I think getting proven talent for peanuts is far harder than getting lucky with an unproven player. I’d vote for Lynch or Clowney. That proves a GMs chops. The trades for Largent, Jones and Thomas we’re essentially getting lucky with talent evaluation. No different than getting lucky with Sherm, Wilson and Chancellor b
In Sherm’s case I’d say maybe we were lucky to get him in the fifth round. Choosing him wasn't luck though—Pete told Richard he had the talent to be an NFL CB when Richard was in HS.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
The subject should be changed to After Largent what is the best trade in Seahawks history? That is a tough one

Naturally you want to go with Lynch but if you cut up our SB team how much of the pie goes to Lynch, the LOB and RW?

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent held every major passing record when he retired. Lynch however will be lucky to make the HOF. Saying Lynch wins because of the SB win is just plain silly. Does that make McQuistan better than Hutchinson as well? :roll:

Yjiskoahxbmcdzxy39pn

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1ickpmsy said:
Largent held every major passing record when he retired. Lynch however will be lucky to make the HOF. Saying Lynch wins because of the SB win is just plain silly. Does that make McQuistan better than Hutchinson as well? :roll:

It's whatever you definition of "best" is. I love Largent (obviously), but without Lynch we don't win a SB, and that's the most important factor for me with this question.

For me "best" means championships, and Lynch helped us not only win a championship, but he gave us our identity early on in Pete and John's tenure here that put the Hawks on the map as THE nastiest team in the NFL. That can't be overstated enough.

Seymour

Reaction score
Newsflash!!!

Lynch did not win the SB for us! :roll:

In fact Lynch had 15 att for 39 yards @ 2.6 YPC and 1 TD!!!

Hell that makes Percy Harvin as good of a trade too then! :pukeface:

In 2015 Thomas Rawls came in and put Lynch's numbers to shame. This team was built to run, and many backs would have produced those same results. :177692:

Never could you say that about Largent!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2az8far4 said:
Newsflash!!!

In 2015 Thomas Rawls came in and put Lynch's numbers to shame. This team was built to run, and many backs would have produced those same results. :177692:

No one won the SB for us, it's a team game. But Lynch coming to Seattle, Beastquake and him HELPING give us our identity was the springboard for winning a SB.

I won't argue with Largent being the best trade, but IMO what constitutes "best" for me is Lynch being traded here and being the Lynchpin (I crack myself up) for our identity and SB runs.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":agrfjj2u said:
Seymour":agrfjj2u said:
Newsflash!!!

No one won the SB for us, it's a team game. But Lynch coming to Seattle, Beastquake and him HELPING give us our identity was the springboard for winning a SB.

I won't argue with Largent being the best trade, but IMO what constitutes "best" for me is Lynch being traded here and being the Lynchpin (I crack myself up) for our identity and SB runs.

Well you are giving some finally.....but doesn't matter!! I will still need you to exchange your "ID" from Sgt. Largent to Pivate Lynch please!! :141847_bnono:

Cartire

Reaction score
I wish we could do ranked voting. Because Largent is #1 obviously, but it would be fun to rank the order afterward. I think Marshawn is a good 2nd which is trending. Walt should be up there too, but that trade feels like a technicality, though i accept the premise.

JGreen79

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1icpo8h1 said:
He was on the team that played in the AFC championship game. Name 3 other pro bowlers from that team.

For 1984... Norm Johnson, Dave Krieg, Dave Brown, Kenny Easley, Fredd Young, Joe Nash.

Now if you mean the season they went to the AFC championship team there were only 2 pro bowlers... Easley and Warner

RiverDog

Reaction score
Maulbert":i4pl9ywn said:
There was a rumor that Dorsett warned the Hawks that if they took him, he'd go to the CFL. I don't know if that's true, but if so, dick move.

I'm not sure about the threat to go play football in Canada, but Dorsett made it very clear that he did not want to play for the 2nd year expansion Seahawks. At the time, we all took it as a huge insult, but in retrospect, he made the right call for his career.

This was the pre-free agency NFL. Expansion teams came into the league having to "pay their dues". Being drafted by Seattle in 1977 was much worse than being drafted by Cleveland or Oakland nowadays.

evergreen

Reaction score
There are a lot of great arguments here! I saw Largent play. Him and Lester Hayes dripping goo... yeah some of us know what that means. He broke the strike line and took himself out of the game so he didn’t break the single game yards record. How many of you remember his consecutive games with a catch? Yeah he caught one against the Rams in the mist futile offense ever. Very classy dude. Jerry Rice was the dude to break his records...
Still it’s Lynch by a freakin beast quake mile! In the NFCCG he runs in that td and there are a handful of hated 49ers chasing him and they want no part of him! Afraid to try and tackle the guy. Best running back ever. I remember Ray Lewis grabbing air trying to tackle him. That was the best we’ve ever had. No contest. Plus Earl was more a draft pick than a trade.

seahawksny

Reaction score
No question best was Lynch

Worst ? Unger for Graham.
It took away their identity which was ground-and-pound for a tight end that couldn't block for an all pro center that opened holes for Lynch

The team never recovered for that

Latest posts