What scares me the most about losing Big Red and others

Atradees

Reaction score
I see what are saying. How long before cuts affect our team really badly? The guys cut so far had diminished roles. I go so far as too say last years draft had a specific eye on the future of contracts. We drafted some lineman we sort of stashed.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Rainy ass day here so I flip on the Houston game. First big defensive play of the game: Batted ball by big Red, forcing the punt. Red won't be on the market very long.

Seafan

Reaction score
What some people don't realize is there is a good chance the defense will be better without Red.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I imagine our philosophy will remain the same. LOB is still the best in the league so teams wont be able to throw on us. Avril and seemingly Clemons will still be here and I hope we retain Bennett. Our FO seems to be really high on a lot of the younger guys. I think it'll be a common thing to see turnover on our team over the next few years for younger cheaper players who get similar stats.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Mods you need to start banning people that make these ridiculous topics. At least a 3 day ban.

plyka

Reaction score
Seafan":dpjzwgpf said:
What some people don't realize is there is a good chance the defense will be better without Red.

I totally agree. If our front office made decisions like this board, almost 100% based on emotions and perception and not taking into account value and cost not to mention predicted future value. Well, we would be in big trouble.

Not just posters on this board but homers on the radio. Danny oneil believes the seahawks should give Tate the 15th biggest contract for a WR! That's an $8m+ pet year contract for a WRs who is the third best in this team now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seafan":3nkkoajz said:
I think it will be because as much as I love Red he was limited and he limited the defense kind of like MRob does on offense but in a different and lesser way.

kearly

Reaction score
They like Jesse Williams' chances and if they retain McDaniel, he can manage the role too. I'm sure they have some guys they like in the draft. As long as PC/JS are here I will not worry about anything they do, even if they make a big mistake they will be so awesome at everything else that it won't matter much.

As far as the USC elephant role, my understanding of it from Pete's writings is that it was a flex role that was sometimes a DE, sometimes a SAM LB. Clay Matthews was that guy for Pete at USC. O'Brien Schofield would be the best example of that role on last year's Seahawks team.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So in otherwords the defense will adapt just like last year. There will be a wrinkle nobody will predict just like any Carroll defense ever.

Laloosh

Reaction score
tempX157457_TK1_0969-2--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3vud85f0 said:
Mods you need to start banning people that make these ridiculous topics. At least a 3 day ban.

It's only ridiculous if it doesn't make sense or have some validity to it. 30 reply's to this topic so far (minus your ridiculous post).

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wonder how much Red's playing time changed through the course of the season. I heard he only played around 14 snaps in the super bowl and the reality is our run defense was at its best towards the end of the season. So how much of that was chemistry developing as well as coaching recognizing strengths and weaknesses as well as testing the waters to see how we would do without Big Red.

I get the feeling that Bennett and Avril represent an upgrade from Clemmons and Red and that is why they moved on from Red already and Clemmons is a likely subject to either restructure of move on.

Depth is a question with both the Mac's being FA's that will probably get paid better elsewhere than here but again I wonder how much of their production was based on the talent around them as well as scheme and the fact they were both in FA years. I am not really expecting us to resign either of them for those reasons. I suspect we will look in FA for potential players who want a prove it type of deal and match up similar to what both the Mac's did before the 13 season. We will also likely get some production out of our guys who were shelved last season as well as have an eye on the draft and UDFA's.

Going to be an exciting year next year. If we can retain Bennett that IMO makes everything work. A base of Bennett Avril and Mebane provides some flexibility in the surrounding cast. I would love to see us resign Avril this off season locking him up long term as well as modifying his cap hit this year to make room for potentially getting Sherman and/or Thomas new contracts now rather than waiting.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2p3812kq said:
I wonder how much Red's playing time changed through the course of the season. I heard he only played around 14 snaps in the super bowl

Broncos in the Super Bowl: 49 passes and 13 rushes. That snap count sounds about right.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
seabowl":133djts0 said:
NFSeahawks628":133djts0 said:

It's only ridiculous if it doesn't make sense or have some validity to it. 30 reply's to this topic so far (minus your ridiculous post).

This thread doesn't make sense or have any validity to it, literally. Why would losing Red Bryant change the defenses philosophy, that comment makes absolutely no sense. As if PC is going to ditch the scheme that won him a super bowl. In fact he will probably change it up so much that Seattle won't see the playoffs for another twenty some odd years, all because of that damn Red Bryant.

Barthawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2qqfufwz said:
Rainy ass day here so I flip on the Houston game. First big defensive play of the game: Batted ball by big Red, forcing the punt. Red won't be on the market very long.

Really? I would say the first big defensive play of the game was the tipped pick by ET on the first drive to stop them in the redzone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3t8s66i3 said:
I believe Gregg Scruggs is going to play a lot in '14.

Yep, and both McDaniel and McDonald can play the five technique.

What we lose with Red is his leadership more than his talent. Not to take anything away from his talent, because he was a baller, but he was also one of the biggest vocal leaders on the team............THAT'S hard to replace.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3f7k6qa3 said:
Hawkstorian":3f7k6qa3 said:
I believe Gregg Scruggs is going to play a lot in '14.

Yep, and both McDaniel and McDonald can play the five technique.

What we lose with Red is his leadership more than his talent. Not to take anything away from his talent, because he was a baller, but he was also one of the biggest vocal leaders on the team............THAT'S hard to replace.

I agree with the leadership angle with regard to Red, but Earl and Kam are poised to fill that leadership void.. I feel they are more than able to lead our defense.

Red, love the man, but 8.5M for a guy who is basically a situational player.. too much now because of the $$$ needed for Bennett, Earl, Sherm, RW and most likely Avril in the next two offseasons.