What was your first .Net post about?

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":23ghtzu8 said:
Really wish I could tell you what the first post was, it might have had to do with politics. The oldest still existing post I can find is from April of 2009 on the scout site where I super pissed over the Aaron Curry pick, but was stoked for the future first and Unger trade-up that happened a round later.
I thought I was the only one on the planet that didn't like the Curry pick. What was it that you didn't like about it?

sutz

Reaction score
You mean I was supposed to remember that?

Let's see, I got here just after dot com shut down it's message board, after they realized that unmonitored message boards turn toxic pretty fast. Some epic threads back then. I remember one thread after a Raider game that went on non-stop for like 20 hours.

Anyway, after that I kind of surfed around until I stumbled in here, sometime after Seahawks.net 99, and before Scout. Good times.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":7whkx3d6 said:
I thought I was the only one on the planet that didn't like the Curry pick. What was it that you didn't like about it?

I wish it was still around, I had a draft forum topic a few days before the draft where I predicted Seattle would draft Curry and then explained why it would be a disaster.

To be fair, English and Snohomie also warned against the pick and hated it too. There were some others too who were less vocal. I don't think the thread exists on .net anymore but when the pick was made the three of us were flipping tables over. I was so mad that quite frankly I embarrassed myself over it. It was after that when I realized that I took the draft too seriously and tried to mellow out in future years.

Basically, my issue with Curry was that he was being hyped as the next 'LT' as a pass rusher, but he had something like 2 sacks a season over 4 years at Wake Forest, and every game I watched of his he showed no fluidity or natural gifts toward rushing the passer. The only thing he did well was running fast in a straight line and hitting like a missile, which is nice but he was too stiff to profile as a good pass rusher. He also sounded dumb as a rock in interviews, which generally makes me pessimistic about development. On tape, all he really showed was that he was big and fast.

But even though I hated the pick like none other, even I was too rosy about Curry. I thought he could be another Leroy Hill. That's not something that's worth a #4 overall pick and $60 million (it was the largest contract in the NFL at the time for a 4-3 LB), but I thought Curry deserved a late 1st round grade because of his tools and basic competency. I honestly don't think anyone could have really foreseen just how big a disaster it would be.

It came out later that many front offices did not have a top 10 grade on Curry, and that his rise to the top (he sat at #1 on Mel Kiper's top prospects for months) was largely a media creation. Since then we've seen a few other media created hype jobs, and you can usually tell who they are because they are mocked in the top 5 or so and then shock everyone by falling into the late 1st, sometimes the 2nd round.

There's no pride to be taken in predicting a prospect's failure. Even in the first round, more prospects fail than succeed. If someone like Christine Michael or Justin Britt bust, it's not really that big a shock because most late 2nd round prospects disappoint. It's just that in the case of Curry, he was so massively over-hyped and it was so obvious to anyone that watched him with a critical eye that it was a remarkable situation.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1eu6pa2u said:
Probably something positive........:)

Ironically enough, my first post was a "there, there..." post quoting Blitzer88.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64186#p849950

Laloosh":1eu6pa2u said:
Blitzer88":1eu6pa2u said:
All I gotta say is that if we lose both Gus and Bevell, we might be hurting next year more than some realize.

There are bound to be differences, but it's entirely possible that we improve as well. Young team, not set in their ways. I'm not a huge fan of Bradley's approach to defensive calls when he's trying to protect a lead (in many games) anyway.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
seabowl":33c8qo0k said:
I've been here since back in the 90's so mine was probably regarding Galloway or someone like that. I still have my .Net "Got Galloway" shirt around somewhere.

Where's my Like button??

I still have one. :) I think my first post was to welcome the 3 other 12's to Seahawks98.com. :)

ivotuk

Reaction score
I have no idea. PRobably something about Shaun Alexander, Walter Jones, or Steve Hutchison. The running game and Hasselbecks completion percentages were my focus. It was the summer before Superbowl XL and I was so excited to find a good Seahawks forum.

Can't believe it's been 11 years...

Seafan

Reaction score
Since it was in 1998 I can't remember. If it had been last year I wouldn't remember either.

I do remember a post from 1999 and that was announcing the newest Seahawk fan being born. And boy was I right. My son is 15 years old and is a HUGE Seahawk fan. So are the new fans I posted about in 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010.

schkoot

Reaction score
Chawker":8vp17mq0 said:
schkoot":8vp17mq0 said:
Mine was probably in response to the "playoffs or layoffs" rants by "Seahawks Fan Steve harper"....LOL

I fell off of the boards when I joined the Marines and did the whole Iraq thing. By the time I decided to jump back in the site no longer remembered my login info, and neither did I. Now I mostly lurk.

Steve harper lol that name ringers a funny bell. wasn't he a raiders fan?

No, he was a legit seahawks fan, but had a massive axe to grind with Mike Holmgren...like a massive one. I can remember some pretty heavy smack about someone pushing him over one of the ramps on the way up the kingdome.

Of all the posters from that era he was the only one I could remember. It's been a minute...

Rocket

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3vmgu9zx said:
@Rocket, Pe's avatar was a geoduck.
Thanks for the heads up...
but after reading some of his posts it kinda felt, at the time, like it was a weird sex thingie,
or some sort of a artsy-fartsy large drug container.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Pretty much introducing myself to your fan base. Such a cool place to be if you're a Seahawks fan.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pretty sure I was complaining about something.

I am a paranoid optimist, so it seems to go with the territory.

I will say that all those years of watching a mediocre football team I never realized I was going to get the privilege to watch a team that would compete with ANY NFL team in history as one of the all time teams to watch.

For 2, if not 3 straight years, the Seahawks have been a fount of moments of sheer joy from Sherman running that ball back in the rain to Lynch running in a weird combination of Earl Campbell/Walter Payton through what seems like 10 tackles on the play. Or the crazy videogame stuff that Wilson has produced.

Never expected any of that when I signed on, just got incredibly fortunate on that combined with the fortune of this being one of the better run, least filled with junk boards of any fan board I have seen.

And some really impressive insight/people, enough that I would check it occasionally during the day pretty regularly.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Not sure about my first post, but I remember the first thread I started was after their 1st preseason game reminding people not to judge Chris spencer or lofa tatupu too harshly cuz center and inside linebacker are 2 of the toughest positions to break in without full gameplanning. I was right on Lofa, not so much on spencer.