What went wrong with the Seahawks defense in 2022?

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Well worth listening to ..............

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/1/3...-went-wrong-with-the-seahawks-defense-in-2022

........................... enjoy!

Thanks Jville, another great find. Griffin does a great job of breaking down the defensive struggles. It may be a little bit of confirmation bias on my part since he is echoing what I have been saying, but I think he knows his stuff better than almost any other Hawks analyst.

The cliff notes: The problem was a combination of scheme, players, and the scheme to player fit. On the player side, it's not an overall lack of talent. There are complimentary players and depth in place. The issue is a lack of elite players/playmakers. We are missing a couple of top-tier players who opponents have to account for and will make everyone around them better.

I am optimistic that all three problems can and likely will improve next year. Hurt will have one year under his belt, and he, Pete, and the defensive assistants have a year of results to assess the new scheme and make adjustments. They have better feedback on where the defensive roster is with respect to fit within the scheme and can part ways with guys that didn't work out replacing them with better fits. With cap space and the draft, there's a good chance they can add a couple of difference makers to the front 7. This is an exciting off-season to be a Seahawk fan.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
With respect to the front seven, Nwosu is definitely a keeper. Wait and see on Brooks injury. Jury is still out on Mafe plus he is on the rookie deal.
Collier, Harris, Jefferson, Adams, Ford, Woods are probably not worth resigning and they are a collectively better group than the linebackers which I believe to be, by far, the weakest position group on the team. I am solidly in the camp that the team needs to draft a minimum of two "off ball" linebackers on day 2 of the draft and you wouldn't see me complain if they drafted two defensive linemen on day 1, however, I actually do think the edge position, as is, is serviceable. They just have to be more consistent "setting the edge" (ie. forcing backs towards pursuit help in the middle of the field) in the run game.

Therefore, you wouldn't see me complain about any free agent linebacker acquisitions (they don't really bust the bank relatively speaking). The team probably moved on from Wagner a couple of years sooner than they should have, but they probably thought Brooks could make up the difference and he almost did. For a while anyways. I believe there were occasions where he was leading the league in tackles or was among the league leaders. I will give Brooks the benefit of the doubt because the DT's were not helping him much at all. But now that he is coming off injury, there is a big question mark about him.

Last edited:

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Should be a lot of turnover on the defensive side of the ball. Weak links have been identified.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Mafe had 3.5 sacks his rookie year in rotational duty he’s a good piece like Uchenna. Brooks is a good linebacker and Shelby Harris is our only decent DT. The problem is Cody Barton can’t cover sideline to sideline. Both D line and linebacker should be the main areas of focus this offseason.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks Jville, another great find. Griffin does a great job of breaking down the defensive struggles. It may be a little bit of confirmation bias on my part since he is echoing what I have been saying, but I think he knows his stuff better than almost any other Hawks analyst.

The cliff notes: The problem was a combination of scheme, players, and the scheme to player fit. On the player side, it's not an overall lack of talent. There are complimentary players and depth in place. The issue is a lack of elite players/playmakers. We are missing a couple of top-tier players who opponents have to account for and will make everyone around them better.

I am optimistic that all three problems can and likely will improve next year. Hurt will have one year under his belt, and he, Pete, and the defensive assistants have a year of results to assess the new scheme and make adjustments. They have better feedback on where the defensive roster is with respect to fit within the scheme and can part ways with guys that didn't work out replacing them with better fits. With cap space and the draft, there's a good chance they can add a couple of different makers to the front 7. This is an exciting off-season to be a Seahawk fan.

Yes this is an exciting off-season to be a Seahawk fan. (y)

Reflecting on a yesteryear question of "who is the best middle linebacker Bobby Wagner or Luke Kuechly", the Panthers kept Luke clean with their defensive line. Where as, Booby routinely dealt with offensive linemen. Luke was longer and leaner where as Bobby was thicker and stouter. A lot of Seahawks fans missed the changes to defensive line roles. It clearly is about matching player and scheme fits.

Toward the end of the podcast, Griffin reminded us that Earl Thomas was a projection. Stating that Earl was a slot corner in college that Carroll chose to look at as his free safety. Surely that serves as a reminder that prospective defensive backs are not locked into their college position when they arrive in Seattle. Carroll has quite a history of looking at defensive backs in various creative roles. That is something our forum draftnicks might want to keep in mind when making draft projections.

We have some really good podcasts this year. I'll be revisiting the above podcast among others. Lots of time to reflect and learn.

chris98251

Reaction score
DE's look way better when you have to account for up the gut pressure and need two blockers to defend against one DT, same with a MLB with size and Speed and great recognition skills, having DT's tieing up 3 or more blockers opens the Blitzgate for MLB and Safeties.

Scout

Reaction score
I am not at all upset with what I saw from the edge players all though they could have played with more discipline as a group. But the interior DL and off ball LBs....you need guys that can stack and shed. There is no way around that. You have to have interior DL and LBs that can come off blocks and make a play. Whether it is a TFL, backside pursuit, filling a gap, or swarming to a ball carrier. I didn't see enough of that.

So the good news is with adjustments to scheme, play calling and upgrades along the DL and LB I think the defense will be better.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Secondary was top 12 and that was with a bad front. They could be lockdown next year

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Mafe had 3.5 sacks his rookie year in rotational duty he’s a good piece like Uchenna. Brooks is a good linebacker and Shelby Harris is our only decent DT. The problem is Cody Barton can’t cover sideline to sideline. Both D line and linebacker should be the main areas of focus this offseason.

What if I told you Barton was better in coverage than Brooks...And Barton was really bad in coverage. What am I trying to tell you?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
What if I told you Barton was better in coverage than Brooks...And Barton was really bad in coverage. What am I trying to tell you?

Brooks was 5th in the league in tackles and graded out way better PFF so I’m not buying it

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Why did we get rid of Carlos Dunlap anyway? We get rid of him and now he's in the Super Bowl. Great move!

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Why did we get rid of Carlos Dunlap anyway? We get rid of him and now he's in the Super Bowl. Great move!

Gee Wiz ....... it's not that hard to keep up ........ it wasn't that long ago.

Carlos was a cap casualty in a year when Wilson's departure generated $25 mil in dead cap.

As a free agent, Carlos chose to sign with the Chiefs ...... Jul 28, 2022.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Uh...can you share a picture of Brooks rating out better than Barton because the one I'm looking at tells me Barton rated better in coverage. It's ugly....for both players.

I'm not buying your argument...
Yeah right here guy via PFF
363935FE 04DA 4C3F 8A97 53652661C32A

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
They both sucked in coverage but Brooks was terrific at times and played hurt. Brooks is a keeper. Barton flashed but watching him trying to catch up to a tight end on a drag route became embarrassing

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Also, we should have gotten Donkey Kong Suh this season instead of the Eagles. We could have used the help.

Latest posts