What's our record this year had Lock started every game?

How many wins do we have if Lock had started every game?

• Less than 2

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 3 to 4

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • 5-6

Votes: 31 44.9%

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • 8 or more

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters

rjdriver

Reaction score
I don't really have a Geno vs. Lock take other than I don't believe that either is a long term solution. I know I've seen some bickering on some other threads and with Lock maybe starting against PHL, I'm curious. Be honest and be objective.

We are at 6 wins, 7 losses on the season.

Hypothetically looking back, how many wins do you guys think we would be at had Lock been the starter from day one? Would Lock have found a way to blow our close wins? Would Lock have not turned the ball over as much during stretches where Geno made some questionable decisions?

Would we be 1-12? 9-4? 5-8?

I trust Pete's decision as someone who observes daily practice, but my gut tells me that our overall record wouldn't be significantly different had Lock been the starter from the start.

Last edited:

hinton

Reaction score
I don't think he'd have flipped any of our L's to W's.

He's probably have flipped one or more of our close W's to L's.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
5-8 sounds about right.
Hmmmm...

Yeah, I'm about there. Of course, this hypothetical assumes Lock had the reps to start the season and had decent continuity from the get go.

Geno is a lot of money for a delta of one win (yeah, I know one win can make all the difference, but still).

Ozzy

Reaction score
Well we have the ability to compare them both against the Niners. Lock played better between the two against a common opponent. For me I’ll say the record would be the exact same as they’re fairly similar. Both are super mistake prone and can make the spectacular play as well.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Well we have the ability to compare them both against the Niners. Lock played better between the two against a common opponent. For me I’ll say the record would be the exact same as they’re fairly similar. Both are super mistake prone and can make the spectacular play as well.
I didn't vote because I didn't like the question. But my view is similar to the one above. I think that Geno is the better quarterback and give us the best chance to win in any given game.

But I don't think that it's by a wide margin, not enough that we can say with any degree of confidence that he would have flipped the results of any of our games one way or another.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Lock would commit more turnovers. We'd probably be 4-9 or 5-8 with him as the starter.

I think Geno gives you a better chance to win because he's not going to force as many throws.

Lock easily could have had 2-3 more interceptions last week. That's just who he's always been. Good arm. Can make some really great throws. But his decision making at times is really poor. More so than Geno.

cymatica

Reaction score
Geno is horrible under pressure..
Lock actually looked pretty good under pressure, didn't seem to bother him. He still makes those boneheaded mistakes but so does Geno. With more reps with the starters in TC and the season, I'm thinking Lock gives an extra win maybe 2.

knownone

Reaction score
This is an absurd comparison, though. Geno was injured four days before playing for the Niners.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Play calls would be different. If Lock played more there would be more rolling out and probably more running 1st downs. Both QBs throw some boneheaded passes. Lock seems to get the pass out of his hand slightly quicker once he decides to fire it. Geno is better in the pocket but there has not been a pocket much of the season. Geno reminds me of Eeyore. The difference between the two this season is probably only game or two, at most.