Whats this mean for Bwagz? Thee place for Wagner contract speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Ok, let's look at this from a financial aspect.

Here are the current numbers for our Salary cap

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/[/urltargetblank]

Before Wilson's deal: $10,960,919.00 top 51 contracts

Assume all the top 51 contracts make the team, and we can assume we have about $10 million in cap space.

Wilson's deal has a reported $31,000,000.00 signing bonus. This will be spread out over the full 5 years, adding $6.2 million to the cap this year.

This brings the cap space left down to $3.9 million.

Let's say Wagner signs a deal in the $10 million per year range. He could get a $12 million signing bonus (which would be a bit high IMO, but I wanted to go high to see if it would work). Assuming it's a 4 year extension, that $12 million would add $2.4 million to the cap, which leaves us $1.5 million of salary cap space left to bring in injury replacements and such. It's tight but it's definitely something we could do.

Now with those figures, we could also, very easily restructure some deals, or even cut a player or two with higher salaries to be replaced by guys with lesser salaries. There always seems to be one or two of these each year anyway, so that gives a bit more cushion.

Financially Wagner's deal can be done without breaking a sweat. Now that they know what they have to work with, it will likely just come down to structuring the future years to everyone's liking.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":25ks9vva said:

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/[/urltargetblank]

Assume all the top 51 contracts make the team, and we can assume we have about $10 million in cap space.

Wilson's deal has a reported $31,000,000.00 signing bonus. This will be spread out over the full 5 years, adding $6.2 million to the cap this year.

Let's say Wagner signs a deal in the $10 million per year range. He could get a $12 million signing bonus (which would be a bit high IMO, but I wanted to go high to see if it would work). Assuming it's a 4 year extension, that $12 million would add $2.4 million to the cap, which leaves us $1.5 million of salary cap space left to bring in injury replacements and such. It's tight but it's definitely something we could do.

Now with those figures, we could also, very easily restructure some deals, or even cut a player or two with higher salaries to be replaced by guys with lesser salaries. There always seems to be one or two of these each year anyway, so that gives a bit more cushion.

Financially Wagner's deal can be done without breaking a sweat. Now that they know what they have to work with, it will likely just come down to structuring the future years to everyone's liking.

Let's also not forget 10+ mil freeing up from dead money from Percy and Unger next year

kidhawk

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":1tjuxp89 said:
kidhawk":1tjuxp89 said:

Let's also not forget 10+ mil freeing up from dead money from Percy and Unger next year

That does help us in future years, but I was simply crunching numbers to get a deal done this season. Cap number will rise along with dead money falling off our books, so that gives us flexibility to structure contracts, but we need to have enough space this year to get the extension done without having to use a franchise tag and I believe we have enough space to do that. This is why I'm not concerned about getting Wagner's deal done sooner rather than later

Ozzy

Reaction score
kidhawk":ln8s7xej said:
austinslater25":ln8s7xej said:
kidhawk":ln8s7xej said:
austinslater25":ln8s7xej said:
There's nothing untrue but the timing is tacky at best and he should of kept it to himself. Not a fan of it at all.

You absolutely can't judge a guy by a single tweet taken out of context. Well you can, but it's wrong to do so. Those who do are just showing more negative about themselves than anything else, because when we read tweets, we read them from our perspective. We have no idea what his perspective behind the tweet actually is/was. When we do this, we are often adding hidden meaning from our thoughts that may or may not have anything to actually do with the tweet.
It's a fair point and I usually try but I know a couple of people who have some knowledge about the players and that plays into my opinion. Still not a fan, and like HH said a few more words would of been nice. I get what you're saying but I'm still not a fan. If that'd a negative on me I'll live with it. :) it's not the end of the world or anything to freak out about but I still don't like it.

When he signs his new deal will that change the "negative opinion"?

Maybe a little? :) Again I think you're right and we should assume the best. Its just hard to believe though that he didn't realize this was the reaction he was going to get based on the timing and lack of congrats to Wilson. Either way I'm just happy we got the Wilson deal done and I hope we get Wagner signed too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As much as I love Bobby, don't you think it's kinda a punk move to tweet this on day everyone wants to be excited about Russell's new deal?

He can't even wait until Monday to take a dump on today with his attention whoring tweet? OMG WHAT ABOUT ME! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!

Tical21

Reaction score
I'd bet he really is a little disappointed. He's probably been out looking at cars and houses, assuming the Russell thing wasn't going to get done. That's double-digit millions that he probably isn't going to get this season.

drdevin

Reaction score
No reason to pay your MLB top money. I love WAGZ but repeating the Ruskell years with having most of your LB's earning big salaries is a recipe for disaster. Seahwaks can look at the draft next year and find a good LB and plug him into the middle of the D. This position is not as highly valued and many others. We need to spend our money more wisely IMO.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Bobby will get a new deal, probably before the end of camp.
It was glaring how much the defense dropped off when he was out!
He isn't wrong here...
They can't keep everyone!
But, I feel confident they will keep Bobby.
Glad they got Russell done!
Go Hawks!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Aros":1537efjn said:
Like I said in another thread if I found out the NFL made social media illegal for players to use while under contract I would be one happy man. Never going to happen but I can at least dream.

Abraham Lincoln's famous quote needs to be adjusted for modern times:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out (on Twitter) and remove all doubt."

Not necessarily aimed at Wags specifically but boy it sure could be for a lot of players out there at times.

It's not the players' fault that the team fanbases are incapable of handling Twitter. Fans need to exercise some damned self-control and quit hyperventilating over every cryptic thing a player says. If they can't do that, they need to quit following those players.

Tical21

Reaction score
drdevin":1iarc4ol said:
No reason to pay your MLB top money. I love WAGZ but repeating the Ruskell years with having most of your LB's earning big salaries is a recipe for disaster. Seahwaks can look at the draft next year and find a good LB and plug him into the middle of the D. This position is not as highly valued and many others. We need to spend our money more wisely IMO.
Shhhhhh, that kind of talk is not welcome here.

chris98251

Reaction score
If they did not have the room to negotiate with him they would not have opened up the negotiation process, simply trade or something else or let him go if he was not going to fit. Remember they have a plan and are pretty good at guessing what it will take to get everyone they want under contract.

12thManMilitia

Reaction score
Tical21":1a5iwm63 said:
drdevin":1a5iwm63 said:
Shhhhhh, that kind of talk is not welcome here.

Ruskell made a lot of bad choices and one of his biggest "DOUGH" moments was drafting Aaron Curry. The old CBA had the advantages toward the players coming out in the draft and we paid for it dearly(Salary, Stupid use of a high draft pick which resulted in drafting Tharold Simon & JR Sweezy not bad but the options of what we could have had) This core of LB's is a lot more stable than Julian Peterson, Lofa, & Curry had ever planned out to be. Besides JS & PC aren't paying Bruce Irvin what anyone else will on the open market so we just have to worry about replacing 1 LB not KJ & BWagz and pay them. How often do we truly have 3 LB's on the field? We play a lot of Nickel nowadays.....

Hawkpower

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1ogh1vt6 said:
Aros":1ogh1vt6 said:
Like I said in another thread if I found out the NFL made social media illegal for players to use while under contract I would be one happy man. Never going to happen but I can at least dream.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out (on Twitter) and remove all doubt."

Not necessarily aimed at Wags specifically but boy it sure could be for a lot of players out there at times.

It's not the players' fault that the team fanbases are incapable of handling Twitter. Fans need to exercise some damned self-control and quit hyperventilating over every cryptic thing a player says. If they can't do that, they need to quit following those players.

Is that not why Wagner tweeted it in the first place, to draw attention to some situation revolving around team finances?

Who posts something on social media that they don't want to draw attention to? That doesnt even make sense. Nobody is invading his private thoughts, hes sharing them on purpose so that we discuss them....

If players dont want people overreacting to cryptic thoughts, then dont publicly share cryptic thoughts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":tie5sq4k said:

Not a lot cryptic about Bobby's tweet, it's pretty self explanatory. He might as well have said "I'm unhappy."

Bottom line for me, it was a selfish tweet. On a day when everyone's excited about the start of camp and Russell being locked up, Bobby decided to whore some attention for himself and his unhappiness over how his contract negotiations are going.

hawk45

Reaction score
It's such an obvious selfish tweet that it takes a special kind of infantalizing of NFL players to moan about fans reacting to it. That's like kicking the dog because you had a bad day at work.

Doesn't reduce my opinion of Wagner at all because he's generally not an Irvin bonehead and he performs, but the nature of the tweet is a fact.

Beautiful thing about Wilson signing is we can tag Wagner's butt. Also, if there's one position on the team we seem able to draft pearls for (unless we're drafting in the first round), it's LB. We don't need Bobby Wagner we just need 80-90% Bobby Wagner.

Here's hoping we find a way to lock him up though.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":rmgholgw said:
volsunghawk":rmgholgw said:
Aros":rmgholgw said:

Is that not why Wagner tweeted it in the first place, to draw attention to some situation revolving around team finances?

Who posts something on social media that they don't want to draw attention to? That doesnt even make sense. Nobody is invading his private thoughts, hes sharing them on purpose so that we discuss them....

If players dont want people overreacting to cryptic thoughts, then dont publicly share cryptic thoughts.

I don't think people really view social media as some avenue for generating vibrant and nuanced discussion around an issue. I think most people - athletes included - see it as a place for random musings, throwaway comments, etc.

I'm not suggesting that Wagner was actually all that cryptic about his tweet. It's pretty clear that it's related to the salary cap and the implications of big contracts. With that said, though, there is nothing about what he posted that indicates any kind of viewpoint on the issue. He might as well have said, "Water. You know, it's wet."

It's the fanbases that can't leave it alone, and worry over the tweets like a dog gnawing at a bone.

edogg23

Reaction score
kidhawk":25e8l9zw said:

Once the season starts all 53 men count against the cap so there is some unaccounted for money right there. I don't see how you can sign B Wagg without cutting someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.