What's Turbin's role?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I too am interested in seeing what happens to Turbin last year. I liked what I saw from him last year and hoped to see him become even more of a factor in the offense this year. Don't really see that happening now, but hopefully I'll still see his opportunities increase.

nanomoz

Reaction score
A third down running back. And capable of being a great one.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Turbin will be our second full back. I think... but with potential to be awesome sauce

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I think Turbine is the #2 RB. Perhaps if Lynch gets a suspension due to his DUI, Micheal shows he deserves #2.

Mick063

Reaction score
Turbin isn't in the same stratosphere as Michael.

You will see. Turbine is a backup. Michael is a NFL starter behind one of the best backs in the league.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It's great to be having these minor differences of opinion.

Thank goodness the lackluster days of Julius Jones, T.J. Duckett, and Edgerrin James are so far behind us now.

themunn

Reaction score
I expect we'll go with a Hydra-like monster at running back, with 35 carries a game between the 3 backs spread out as such:

Lynch 15-25
#2 back 10-15
#3 back 5-10

With the numbers obviously depending mostly on how close we are to winning, Lynch getting 15 carries a game is ideal when we're 3 scores ahead, but when it's a tight game it might be 25, and when Lynch has less carries our number 2 and 3 backs get more (or less when we're behind).

That way we can hopefully keep Lynch under 250 carries for the season and hit the playoffs with him at his best.
Less carries doesn't necessarily mean less yards either - he averaged less than 17 carries per game in our last 4 and still managed to rush for over 100 in each of them.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I think most of the responses in this thread hint at the most important part of the whole equation: competition and versatility.

I think the roles of these guys will change (sometimes drastically) from week to week- although Lynch will remain the feature back. Lynch will probably see an average of fewer carries per game, but against teams weak up front the stat sheet will still look like it did most games last year.

I think overall we move close to 50-50 pass run ratio, which should result in more passes and roughly the same amount of rushes- assuming we control the ball better the whole season like we did 2nd half of 2012. Rushes should remain about the same in this scenario. How Pete divvies up those rushes is going to be fun to watch. Like I said... after Lynch I think the specific roles of our backs change a lot from week to week depending on who we play and how we build and execute the game plans. Game plans that feature more pocket passing will feature the better blocker. Game plans that include boots and roll outs would feature the best hands and open field speed. Different packages against different teams. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if Lynch has games where he get <50% of the rushes.

I can't wait. I can't frickin wait.