When's the last time our offense picked on a mismatch

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3opq93qn said:
mrt144":3opq93qn said:
So there would be a significant task in going back over injury reports prior to the game then cross referencing those reports with play direction and play call tendencies relative to the average Seahawks play calling.
Sure. There is always lots of subjective speculation about the coming matchups, be they injury-, individual-, scheme-, or whateverall-based. Fun to look back and see if any of them came to fruition but yes, could be hard to quantify in any 'significant' way.

I like to think the Hawks offense (and us speculators..) will also take a close look at what the 9'ers were able to take advantage of against the Rams, and then at least try to inflict some of the same punishment.

Similarly we could also look at tendencies cross referenced by experience level on the other side of the LOS. Theorizing about models to capture subtle data is kind of my jams.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Last time I checked Bevell wasnt the guy out there running routes trying to get open. He also isn't wilson out there spreading the ball to everyone that touches the field.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Wait. So, we really think Doug Baldwin caught for 1,000 yards, 14 TDs as a 5'10 slot receiver by accident? We do not have a Julio Jones/AJ Green type receiver where this thing is made a lot more obvious to people.

But five words: Chris Matthews on Malcom Butler.

Five more: Luke Willson on Larry Foote.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
DavidSeven":34qa80zy said:
Wait. So, we really think Doug Baldwin caught for 1,000 yards, 14 TDs as a 5'10 slot receiver by accident? Okay, sure, clearly mismatches there. Wake me when we have a Julio Jones/AJ Green type receiver where this thing is made a lot more obvious to people.

Oh, and five words: Chris Matthews on Malcom Butler.

Five more: Luke Willson on Larry Foote.

I did think of that Arizona game where Luke Willson tore them up way after the OP but good mention.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This is just silly. Let me list just a few that come off the top of my head

- Dual threat QB. Unaccounted for rusher
- Speed at WR (Richardson, Harvin, Lockett).
- Power at RB
- Athleticism at OL
- Size (Rice, Graham, BMW)
- Building a run first team in a league that tailors defenses against the pass

Virtually every early pick we've made on offense has been in an effort to create mismatches. Not all of these work. But enough do. Seattle's entire offensive roster is aimed at producing mismatches. And those mismatches manifest themselves in explosive plays. Something Seattle has been one of the very best in the league at accomplishing.

I'd say anecdotally speaking, we may not appreciate this because we have had very real difficulty in scoring TDs in the red zone. We're pretty fantastic at scoring outside the 20. But we do fail to turn red zone threats into TDs at a higher than normal rate. What affords us mismatches doesn't come to bear as easily in the compressed field.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":kf2lz2b4 said:
This is just silly. Let me list just a few that come off the top of my head

- Dual threat QB. Unaccounted for rusher
- Speed at WR (Richardson, Harvin, Lockett).
- Power at RB
- Athleticism at OL
- Size (Rice, Graham, BMW)
- Building a run first team in a league that tailors defenses against the pass

Virtually every early pick we've made on offense has been in an effort to create mismatches. Not all of these work. But enough do. Seattle's entire offensive roster is aimed at producing mismatches. And those mismatches manifest themselves in explosive plays. Something Seattle has been one of the very best in the league at accomplishing.

I'd say anecdotally speaking, we may not appreciate this because we have had very real difficulty in scoring TDs in the red zone. We're pretty fantastic at scoring outside the 20. But we do fail to turn red zone threats into TDs at a higher than normal rate. What affords us mismatches doesn't come to bear as easily in the compressed field.
Good post.

My hope is that our $10M Man JG will prove to be the solution here soon, it's exactly what they got him for.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
mrt144":1xoqr7cq said:
Basis4day":1xoqr7cq said:
I guess that begs a question. When do you recall our offense having a mismatch that we could exploit?

Since the offense has been based around the run, I'd say we've exploited a team's run defense when a rb has gone over 100 yards.

Ha, good point. In that context how I guess you'd have to look for tendencies specific to each game and where and how they're running the ball.
I think we were close to that just prior to when 'I'm Jimmy' got injured Seems like the team is a bit more macro with their approach, partly out if necessity; however, even if we had the right personnel, I can't imagine Bevell repeatedly poking the same wound, ala Holmgren.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete's philosophy is "It's not about them, it's about us." He wants his team to play so well within their position and technique that it doesn't matter what's happening on the other side of the line.

They do game plan for other teams, and look for weakness to exploit, but that's fire the coaches to think about. The players just prefect their technique, and follow the game plan.

But I think once Russell really gets his position down, he will call plays that take advantage of situations such as a backup DB coming in for an injured player.

And be has done so in the past. I think it was year before last against AZ that he saw a certain coverage, and twice hit Luke Willson on a short pass for a TD.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Probably when Haskell was offensive coordinator TBH.

Bevell identifies a weakness and then puts it in his back pocket for when he really needs it as opposed to picking at the weakness again and again and again until the opponent adjusts thereby exposing another weakness to exploit.