Where are they now: Shaun Alexander

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
This dude had 100 rushing touchdowns in his Seahawks career, more than 9,000 yards, and was the NFL MVP the only season the Seahawks have ever gone to the Super Bowl.

And he's remembered for being soft?

Are you freaking kidding me? Get over yourselves.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'll never hate on Shaun, he just did too much. I will say though that he should have ran for 2500 yards one of those years. He had the talent and line to do it. One of the smoothest RB's to ever play the game, and had just unreal vision.

I wonder if he ever officially submitted his retirement papers. Just a year or two ago he was working out for a comeback. He should've retired a Hawk. I would scream like mad if he came back to raise the flag.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1xt28w4k said:
This dude had 100 rushing touchdowns in his Seahawks career, more than 9,000 yards, and was the NFL MVP the only season the Seahawks have ever gone to the Super Bowl.

And he's remembered for being soft?

Are you freaking kidding me? Get over yourselves.

His production speaks for itself. You are correct.

That doesnt preclude him from deserved criticism for his soft style and his at times selfish attitude.

As a fan, it is ok to remember 9000 yards AND his "stab in the back". Hardly grounds for getting over one's self.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
the " stab in the back" comment was the one thing that a true team player would not make,...as great of a season he had that year, to me that comment still really stands out

Greenhell

Reaction score
SA was the first RB in a long time that brought recognition to the Hawks. He was a great back for the team we had then. I have several of his jerseys. When I wear a #37, strangers tell me how they liked him even though he didn't play for the Broncos. Hass and SA were the new faces of the Hawks and they're still remembered outside of Hawk fandom.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Hamhawk":35uje7e2 said:
the " stab in the back" comment was the one thing that a true team player would not make,...as great of a season he had that year, to me that comment still really stands out
Entitled to your opinion for sure, but have you ever made a comment that you later regretted and/or was ill advised?

A

Anonymous

Shaun Alexander = vision, finesse and elusiveness
Marshawn Lynch = strength, tenacity and attitude

The two backs couldn't be more different, IMHO.

The Radish

Reaction score
Barthawk":35rv8lvo said:
Hamhawk":35rv8lvo said:
Entitled to your opinion for sure, but have you ever made a comment that you later regretted and/or was ill advised?

I have to admit to agreeing with that comment. Needed that one TD for the record. He got us to the goal line with a couple of good runs in that drive and then they didn't give it to him?

Stupid! I thought so at the time and still do. That was one of the calls Mike Holmgren made through the years I hated and second guessed.

Not as stupid as Mike Ditka giving that SB TD to Refridgerator Perry rather than sweetness, but close. Sweetness carried them all year and in that game too so they don't allow him to get the score? Ditka the Dumb Shit for that call.

Say what we will about Shaun, he carried us at a time when we needed him and did it with a smile.

:les:

Steve2222

Reaction score
The Radish":2y40p01j said:
Barthawk":2y40p01j said:
Hamhawk":2y40p01j said:

I have to admit to agreeing with that comment. Needed that one TD for the record. He got us to the goal line with a couple of good runs in that drive and then they didn't give it to him?

Stupid! I thought so at the time and still do. That was one of the calls Mike Holmgren made through the years I hated and second guessed.

Not as stupid as Mike Ditka giving that SB TD to Refridgerator Perry rather than sweetness, but close. Sweetness carried them all year and in that game too so they don't allow him to get the score? Ditka the Dumb Shit for that call.

Say what we will about Shaun, he carried us at a time when we needed him and did it with a smile.

Yeah that's not what happened. He was miffed because he needed those carries to finish #1 in the league in rushing. Finished 1 yard behind Curtis Martin. And Seattle scored that series and won the game. Why are you pissed at Holmgren?

I think it's funny SA was betrayed that he didn't get the season rushing title then you have a rookie QB who could have easily broken the rookie TD pass record but elected to take the safer play and run it in. Teams more important than individual.

Still love SA though.

The Radish

Reaction score
We agree to disagree. I will always think if there is an option that gives me the best chance of winning, allows my star player to win the season rushing record & the game, then I'm taking my best option which was let the guy who is used to running near the goal line rather than let my QB run with the ball.

And I don't think Matt was a "rookie" at that time. Not sure where that came from.

Steve2222

Reaction score
The Radish":2yvzuw76 said:
We agree to disagree. I will always think if there is an option that gives me the best chance of winning, allows my star player to win the season rushing record & the game, then I'm taking my best option which was let the guy who is used to running near the goal line rather than let my QB run with the ball.

And I don't think Matt was a "rookie" at that time. Not sure where that came from.

Talking about Russell Wilson last year. Howd that one go over your head?

JOz56

Reaction score

If I recall correctly that was in the Atlanta game at the end of the season and Shaun missed out on the rushing title by 2 yards? Matt was injured with a sprained left wrist or something like that, and what was called? A QB DIVE! Was absolutely stupid. It didn't help that our D let ATL drive the entire 5 some odd minutes that was left on the clock. He should have had the rushing title that year

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Barthawk":chx5f7uu said:
Hamhawk":chx5f7uu said:

Of course. We all make mistakes. SA made a big one that day.

Unfortunately it fit his "me first" style (sliding, stepping out of bounds, etc). His team had just earned a huge accomplishment and what was he worried about?

Answer this: Can you ever imagine Russell Wilson saying something like that?

And there lies the difference. End of story.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The Radish":1n71wnpz said:

You can argue the validity of Holmgrens choice (although it worked so......) but that's not the point.

Team players celebrate the team over personal accomplishments.

Some guys SA's position might feel frustrated by falling a yard short, but they are smart enough to stay quiet and vent to their wife and kids at home about it.

It takes a whole another person altogether to claim to be stabbed in the back TO THE MEDIA over a personal stat while the rest of your team is celebrating. Very revealing.

The Radish

Reaction score
Steve2222":228g7ubk said:
The Radish":228g7ubk said:

Because I never was talking about Wilson at all. Wasn't this thread about Shaun Alexander?

:roll:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Barthawk":2fmtigbh said:
Hamhawk":2fmtigbh said:
I have, and I'd bet big money that if 'Hamhawk' is being honest, he has too.
As far as a "Soft Style" runner, Shaun had his health to take care of FIRST and foremost, else he'd have had a shorter play span in his career.
making unnecessary contact with a Defender who want's to do damage to you, would have been the fools route, and Shaun had good enough numbers as it was, eh?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The "stabbed in the back comment bothered me a lot as well "

However I don't consider SA soft. He played to avoid injury I will agree. I consider that smart. In a 16 game season take what the defense will give you and last through the season

S. Jackson when with the Rams had the same rap on him. Unfairly I believe too

The best power runner I ever saw was Earl Campbell. For 3-4 years he was able to literally carry a team on his back.

I saw him awhile back and is sadly a shell of what he was. He is in constant pain from Arthritis and destroyed joints and looks much older than his years.

Can you blame some of these guys for minimizing the injury to their body for later in life?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Radish":61ox859q said:

+ 1.
Shaun WOULD have done it.
I seldom ever disagreed with Holmgren, but in that one?, I was disappointed for SA not being given the shot at it, because he'd already proven that he was 'Mr. Automatic' when they were that close to the goal line.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The Radish":tzhzcxyr said:
Steve2222":tzhzcxyr said:
The Radish":tzhzcxyr said:

Because I never was talking about Wilson at all. Wasn't this thread about Shaun Alexander?

:roll:

Steve is explaining in his post how Wilson had a chance at personal stats and instead did something to help the team.

He is then comparing that to SA's handling of a similar situation and how different the two players approach the game.

It appears you got confused thinking he was referring to Matt H. when he wasnt.