Where do the Turbin defenders come from?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Does anyone else out there think that Lynch makes our backups look worse than they are? And our run blocking better than it is for that matter? A lot of defenders were in our backfield by the time Lynch had got the ball today. 86 yards was probably about 30 more than any other back in the league would have managed today.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Cartire":31qy8syw said:
ivotuk":31qy8syw said:
He's a good running back and keeps the ball secure. In 201 rushing attempts he has only fumbled twice, has 4.0 averager per rush, 47 receptions for 9.8 yards.

Who would you suggest replaces him? Trent Richardson?

Some of our fans think a backup who only gets the ball an average of 5+ times a game should be somehow putting 100 yards down. I dont get it, but I dont think they will ever be happy.

Even lynch had 10 runs that were 2 yards or less this game. It takes a while to break through a defense.

Correct. It takes many reps for a back and line to establish rhythm and continuity. It's one reason teams are going away from the run. The reward is infrequently great. So let's just shit-can this very cheap, solid back. Then what....have Russ throw timing patterns to our pro-bowl receivers all day? Don't rest Lynch? Feed a proven fumbler that can't pass-pro?

Where do these people come from?

Time after time I watch Turbin run into an inescapable wall. I actually feel sorry for the kid. But just as sure as someone whining after a great win, somebody will surely comment "Oh, nice run Turbin". It's actually comical.

This comes in a distant second, to be sure, but if not for that Dope dudes theory on Vegas cheating the Hawks (or whatever it was he was attempting to convey), this would be the dumbest thread of the week. Hands down.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I mean yea, he's nothing special but he has had some great moments. I don't see the point of this

Basis4day

Reaction score
So we're complaining that our backup RB isn't as good as the starters? I don't think people know what a backup means. If they were better than that they would be starters. Not hard.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2hocdg33 said:
Does anyone else out there think that Lynch makes our backups look worse than they are? And our run blocking better than it is for that matter? A lot of defenders were in our backfield by the time Lynch had got the ball today. 86 yards was probably about 30 more than any other back in the league would have managed today.

I agree. People are going to be disappointed when they compare Turbin to Lynch. Turbin is money on blitz pickups and blocking, and a deadly receiver out of the backfield. His balance isn't the best, but what you see from Turbin is what you'd see from 90% of the other backs in this league when Cox blows through our line and hits them in the backfield with no blocking.

When Lynch goes, it's going to be heartbreak for anyone looking for us to be able to replace him. We'll never replace him. We MIGHT replace his production, but it won't be the same.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawks46":3mxribjc said:
SomersetHawk":3mxribjc said:

I agree. People are going to be disappointed when they compare Turbin to Lynch. Turbin is money on blitz pickups and blocking, and a deadly receiver out of the backfield. His balance isn't the best, but what you see from Turbin is what you'd see from 90% of the other backs in this league when Cox blows through our line and hits them in the backfield with no blocking.

When Lynch goes, it's going to be heartbreak for anyone looking for us to be able to replace him. We'll never replace him. We MIGHT replace his production, but it won't be the same.

Which is why fans need to stop expecting him to perform like a team's #1 running back. Hes not. But we don't need him to be a #1.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
He's exactly what he is.....a backup RB and a 3rd down back.....nothing more. I'd be more than happy if Turbin is a Seahawk for a long time, as long as he isn't our primary back.

Appleegg1

Reaction score
Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that you don't know what your talking about.
Turbin is a perfectly serviceable and dependable 2nd to 3rd string runningback who was drafted in the fourth round.
Roommate and close friend of russell, he seems a good character guy as well.
You could do a whole lot worse.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Ive been flammed on here for criticizing Turbin in the past. Ill just say hes had better games

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Cartire":36jm3avg said:
Tech Worlds":36jm3avg said:
Where do the turbin haters come from?

I like it when my and Tech agree.

Dude has power and goes full speed every play. To hell with the haters.

Turbin gets a lot of criticism because he's being judged for his potential to replace Lynch. Maybe it's not fair, but I don't see him replacing Lynch.

Then again, I don't see anyone replacing Lynch.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The problem with this thread and those like it is he will always be compared to Marshawn Lynch. And there is no one in the league that does/can do what Lynch does so he will always suffer by comparison. Be that as it may I think Turbin is growing on me as a purely functional quasi substitute for Lynch. I still scratch my head when I see Michael in there and wonder what he has to do to get more reps. And I am still not sold on the "he's stupid" or "cannot learn the playbook". Because I see in him as a glimpse of what our future running game might look like. I want Lynch for life!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":v4qgqq3t said:
Mojambo":v4qgqq3t said:
He does very unsexy things extremely well. Things that this offensive philosophy values.

In his current role he makes this team better, not worse.

I disagree. With even a backup running back we would be better with him in that role rather than Turbin

Turbin isn't amazing, but if you think that Turbin and Michael are both far below league average as far as backups are concerned, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And I realize you didn't mention Michael, but Turbo persists in keeping Michael from barely ever getting snaps. That's no accident.

Tical21

Reaction score
Turbin's fine. He's made a couple big plays this year. I don't think he is a weakness worth addressing at the moment. As a sidenote, I do think he needs to lose about 20 lbs. If you see him early in college, he was a quick, shifty back that could get to the house, then everything changed as he got bigger. I think he's top-heavy, which is one of the worst things you can be as a running back. I gained about 30 lbs. of upper body muscle before my senior year of high school and it certainly gave me some balance issues. Once I started leaning too far forward, I lost the ability to recover. I am certainly not a big NFL RB, but I do thinks there is some physics at work here.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
So we are going to pick on the back-up RB after a crucial road win?

Yeah.

Name me another "back up" who has 2 receiving TDs. Go ahead.

Geesh. Calm down.

:3-1:

seedhawk

Reaction score
Is it concievable they show up because some poster like you starts a thread asking where they come from? Basic rule of law. Do Not ask a question unless you know the answer! If you know the answer, and it bothers you, then skip the question.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan if his . Wouldn't say a hater either . But no way in hell is he a work horse RB goes down way to easy.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Just to remind everyone, Justin Forsett used to be a backup running back here in Seattle, and today went over the 1000 yard mark and is 4th in the NFL in rushing.

Point being, sometimes given the opportunity to rush 20 times a game, a running back can surprise you with how productive they can be.

Turbin is no Lynch but then again nobody is, he's one of the most unique players to ever play the position. I haven't seen a running back play the way he does since Jerome Bettis.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Appleegg1":j9zt9dbd said:
Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that you don't know what your talking about.
Turbin is a perfectly serviceable and dependable 2nd to 3rd string runningback who was drafted in the fourth round.
Roommate and close friend of russell, he seems a good character guy as well.
You could do a whole lot worse.

This. Also, Turbin has been running better this year. Fewer shoestring tackles.
He's a good change of pace and 3rd down back. Blocks well. Catches well. Special teams.

He could be the guy for a couple games if we needed him to.

keith da hawk

Reaction score
Because he's a very good receiver coming out of the backfield and he's really good in pass protection. There's a reason he's been out there during two minute drills and third downs. The guy has been money in those situation.