Where do the Turbin defenders come from?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I know I am the one that tends to be Mr. Negative, but what exactly did he do wrong today? I mean on a few of the runs he got, he got hit in the backfield before he could even get going, Russell maybe threw to him once and it was a overthrown ball.

peppersjap

Reaction score
nbk35zw":2syj00qg said:
This... Was your takeaway from the game?
Amen! Turbin has had an awesome year in his role! I also can't think of anything negative to say after this game except that Simon needs to shut his mouth after his stupid penalties and it appeared Sherman was taking care of that.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This thread belonged in the game day forum. I believe it was a response to a couple carries in the first half of yesterday's game. Now it has been excessively bumped.

Turbin doesn't deserve that . . . he is very solid in his role in catching passes out of the backfield, pass pro, reserve fullback, clock drainer in a blowout, etc. He's strong and he has excellent straight-line speed.

But I agree with others who say he is not a feature back because he goes down on first contact and doesn't break tackles very often. Christine Michael has as many broken tackles as Turbin this year (3) with half as many attempts. He's averaging just 1.81 yards after contact, which is ranked 112th in the league.

It's a testament to Lynch's status as the best RB in the league that he leads the league in broken tackles (68 rushing, 11 receiving) and does so by a wide margin (+9 over Murray, +20 over Bell, +27 over Foster, and +31 over McCoy).

Lynch is in a whole other class when it comes to breaking tackles, just like Sherman is in a whole other class when it comes to being a shutdown corner - 19.2 snaps per pass completion when no else has even 15.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":26yi8i2a said:
Mojambo":26yi8i2a said:
He does very unsexy things extremely well. Things that this offensive philosophy values.

In his current role he makes this team better, not worse.

That's true. But let's not pretend for a damn second that he would be a successful feature back for us.
But it's Okay to PRETEND for a damned millisecond that YOU know better than Pete Carroll eh?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1csvbfpt said:
hawknation2014":1csvbfpt said:
Mojambo":1csvbfpt said:
He does very unsexy things extremely well. Things that this offensive philosophy values.

In his current role he makes this team better, not worse.

That's true. But let's not pretend for a damn second that he would be a successful feature back for us.
But it's Okay to PRETEND for a damned millisecond that YOU know better than Pete Carroll eh?

That begs the question: when did Pete Carroll say Turbin would be a feature back in this offense?

And if he did, that could have more to do with motivating all of his players to be the best that they can be, than it does with actually knowing that Turbin will takeover at running back in the post-Marshawn Lynch Era.

IMO, that assumption would be a huge mistake.

TXHawk

Reaction score
So after a beatdown of a 9-3 team on the road we needed a thread bitching about a guy who only carried the ball four times?

Amazing.

Brahn

Reaction score
Turbin would of had one of the best seasons for a back up RB last year if Giacomini didn't hold on 3+ 40 yard runs of his.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Turbin hate is a lot like Irvin hate. Lot of looking at stat lines instead of reading in between of what is actually being asked of them.

Every error, mistake, and bad play is heightened to a hater. Every good play that player makes is just lucked base performance.

Truth about Robert Turbin

CONS:
Average Runner Outside of Tackles
No Improvastional Skills
Top Heavy = No Balance
Can't Break Tackles
Almost Every Big Play in his Career was Brought Back on Penalties

PROS:
Solid Runner Between Tackles
Hits Holes Fast and Hard
Finds Positive Yards
Plus Ball-Carrier
Plus backfield WR
Plus backfield Blocker
Plays Special Teams
Consumate Team Player (Does Whatever is Asked)

Lot of good in his game that outweighs the bad.

I have hated on Turbin too, early last year, and it took sometime to sit back, and just focus on not what I wanted him to be but what he was actually doing. And if you look at the smaller details you'll see Turbin is actually a very solid player and the coaches will and probably have said the same.

Another thing is, IIRC, as hulkish his physical appearance has been, Turbin wasn't an ultra physical Power Runner in college, believe it or not, he made a living hitting it to the outside and using his speed to out-run defenders. Then he had a leg or kneeinjury that probably changed some things for him.

It wasn't really until last year Turbin began more of a transition to a change of pace Power Back role. Just look at his runs, he isn't trying to make big plays using improvastion or be like Marshawn Lynch. His job seems very specific... pick your spot, run hard, and run fast, and more often than not he's been successful as a change of pace battering ram getting positive 2-6 yards with his carries.

But again... haters gonna hate... and they only gonna see what they want to see.

StoneCold

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2koyts1g said:
Cartire":2koyts1g said:
Tech Worlds":2koyts1g said:
Where do the turbin haters come from?

I like it when my and Tech agree.

Dude has power and goes full speed every play. To hell with the haters.

Turbin gets a lot of criticism because he's being judged for his potential to replace Lynch. Maybe it's not fair, but I don't see him replacing Lynch.

Then again, I don't see anyone replacing Lynch.

I was going to make a separate thread for this, but since this is here, here it goes. Why is everyone so certain that if Turbin or Michael got the 20 carries a game they couldn't get it done? Turbin has a 3.9 avg, Michael 6.0. Yes it's often in garbage time, but yesterday they both hit holes hard and ran well. I hope Marshawn plays for Seattle for another couple of years, but a part of me would like him to sit for a game so we could get a chance to see what the other guys can do for a whole game.

I think a lot of it is credentials. Marshawn has the beastquake. If he runs into the line for 2 yards, we say next time he'll bust it out because we've seen him do it. The other guys get 2 or 3 yards and we say, see they're shite. I think we need to see more reps to know for sure.

SC

hawk45

Reaction score
I like turbin doing anything except running the ball. For that I like Cmike if I can't have lynch.

Jville

Reaction score
I mean no disrespect to the OP or anyone else. But, I think it common for some to ignore which forum their posting to and compose opinions here as if there is some kind of political campaign going on.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":10d0xzdl said:
he's fine as a back up but he's not a feature back. Unless you like losing that is.

If only I could count the number of times I heard that about Justin Forsett before he left here

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kidhawk":mr23ti1d said:
Chukarhawk":mr23ti1d said:
he's fine as a back up but he's not a feature back. Unless you like losing that is.

If only I could count the number of times I heard that about Justin Forsett before he left here

Turbin is not on Forsett's level as a pure runner. In 2009, Forsett led the league in elusiveness rating. He averaged 3.19 yards after contact, which was Top 10 in the league. Turbin is ranked 112th in the league with 1.81 yards after contact.

Now that Forsett is running behind two All Pro caliber guards, he's showing what he was always capable of with that kind of blocking.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2gvbc2d7 said:
kidhawk":2gvbc2d7 said:
Chukarhawk":2gvbc2d7 said:

Turbin is not on Forsett's level as a pure runner. In 2009, Forsett led the league in elusiveness rating. He averaged 3.19 yards after contact, which was Top 10 in the league. Turbin is ranked 112th in the league with 1.81 yards after contact.

Now that Forsett is running behind two All Pro caliber guards, he's showing what he was always capable of with that kind of blocking.

Forsett is Muhammad's gift to all ZBS disciples. He's made for stretch, ZBS schemes. Someone here told everyone he'd do well in Baltimore, but, you know.

Turbin is to these Seahawks what Maurice Morris was to Holmy's. Turbin was never drafted to be a feature back...he'll always be a 2nd stringer.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3ss30wah said:
He's a bottom third backup rb in this league. And yet.. people have stepped on his bangwagon this year. He has semi-succeeded by running against Lynch tested worn-down Ds

Who are all these Turbin bandwagon members and defenders you speak of?

I spend a lot of time here, some people named Mrs. Sarge would say too much time..........and I've yet to see these mythical creatures you speak of.

Turbin is a nice backup and good two minute offense back. That's it.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Thread so dumb.

Turbin is a backup to Lynch who regularly throughout his time with the Seahawks gets a great deal of rest, with Turbin predominantly spelling him over the course of nearly 3 seasons.

In that time the Seahawks have been the top rushing offense and put up a 37-13 record.

What's not to 'defend' about a backup RB?

He's probably not a starter but sheesh. Some people just have to complain about something I guess.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3jvk9ine said:
Turbin hate is a lot like Irvin hate. Lot of looking at stat lines instead of reading in between of what is actually being asked of them.

Every error, mistake, and bad play is heightened to a hater. Every good play that player makes is just lucked base performance.

Truth about Robert Turbin

CONS:
Average Runner Outside of Tackles
No Improvastional Skills
Top Heavy = No Balance
Can't Break Tackles
Almost Every Big Play in his Career was Brought Back on Penalties

PROS:
Solid Runner Between Tackles
Hits Holes Fast and Hard
Finds Positive Yards
Plus Ball-Carrier
Plus backfield WR
Plus backfield Blocker
Plays Special Teams
Consumate Team Player (Does Whatever is Asked)

Lot of good in his game that outweighs the bad.

I have hated on Turbin too, early last year, and it took sometime to sit back, and just focus on not what I wanted him to be but what he was actually doing. And if you look at the smaller details you'll see Turbin is actually a very solid player and the coaches will and probably have said the same.
<snip>
But again... haters gonna hate... and they only gonna see what they want to see.

Awesome post, dude. Nailed it. You're on a roll with some great posts the last few days. Plus I loved the Irvin reference, so on target. (Irvin has turned into a downright STAR this season and nearly silenced the haters.)
It has really looked to me like Turbin's been a better runner this year, fewer shoestring-sneeze tackles. Maybe Bevell is just using him to his strengths better, but Turbo's running looks better to my eyes. I know when Turbin's in, I feel fully confident with him in there.

The other huge thing Turbin does for the Hawks is reduce the wear and tear on Marshawn's body, so we can have more Beastmode for the playoffs. Turbin's kind of the "middle reliever" of the Seahawks backfield.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":1lmmczyv said:
Just to remind everyone, Justin Forsett used to be a backup running back here in Seattle, and today went over the 1000 yard mark and is 4th in the NFL in rushing.

Point being, sometimes given the opportunity to rush 20 times a game, a running back can surprise you with how productive they can be.

Turbin is no Lynch but then again nobody is, he's one of the most unique players to ever play the position. I haven't seen a running back play the way he does since Jerome Bettis.
Please don't disrespect Lynch by comparing him to jerome Bettis.

Latest posts