Where was Christine Michaels?

Geologic

Reaction score
hawker84":31h56lqe said:
Not sure what turbins done to make folks want Michael in so bad instead of Turbin? evertime i see him in the game, he having a huge run only to be called back... I like Michael as much as the next guy, and i think he'll be the better more explosive of the two , but at the same time, he was just a rookie and was still soaking in the offense. Give him some time i think once Marshawn is done, you'll see Michael starting and turbin as the back up, 3rd down back. Just a guess though.

Michael just has a higher upside then Turbin. During the preseason, it was more fun to watch Michael get carries then Turbin.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
He will have more of an impact next year. Still has to learn the finer details of the RB position. Plus, keeping him out a lot will make him more hungry to succeed next season.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Erebus":xb2c9boh said:
Does anyone find it a coincidence that he was in the coach's dog house in his last college season, and then didn't play a meaningful snap for us his rookie year? I think it may have more to do with attitude than ability or pass blocking.

Every time Pete was asked about Michael's lack of playing time, it was due to pass protection and learning the scheme. Literally every time. Pete didn't hesitate in his response. A 3rd down back needs to be able to pass protect, and every snap you give another back is one less a proven back like Lynch gets. There is more to being a RB in this system than pure running ability. I'll type that again for emphasis, There is more to being a RB in this system than pure running ability.

Couple in O-Line injuries/shuffling all year and you can see why Pete would want the best blocking he could muster in a year when Wilson was already taking way too many hits.

Pete's explanation made, and still makes perfect sense. Pete's decisions just won a Super Bowl.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Geologic":1qnds4p4 said:
hawker84":1qnds4p4 said:
Not sure what turbins done to make folks want Michael in so bad instead of Turbin? evertime i see him in the game, he having a huge run only to be called back... I like Michael as much as the next guy, and i think he'll be the better more explosive of the two , but at the same time, he was just a rookie and was still soaking in the offense. Give him some time i think once Marshawn is done, you'll see Michael starting and turbin as the back up, 3rd down back. Just a guess though.

Michael just has a higher upside then Turbin. During the preseason, it was more fun to watch Michael get carries then Turbin.

The thing with upside is you need to develop. I have no doubt that Michael will be the better overall back. But he needed his rookie year to learn the scheme.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure where he was all season, but he sure got himself a prime spot on the stage yesterday.

ZoqrZ.AuSt.5.jpg

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Geologic":rovun1kb said:
hawker84":rovun1kb said:

Exactly. In fact I'd even say that's an understatement. I don't even get how people can defend turbins running ability compared to cmikes, it's not even close, cmike is so much more explosive it's not even funny. All those great runs people reference about turbo, those are the kind of holes cmike has the potential to take to the house every time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Geologic":3pgcykh6 said:
hawker84":3pgcykh6 said:

So that's your reasoning? Michael was more fun to watch than Turbin?

Now not sure about you, but my opinion is that Pete Carroll is a VERY good football coach, what with winning multiple national championships and now a Superbowl............and one of the few coaches that means it when he says "win your competition battles, and you'll play."

Therefore logic would dictate that if Michael was better than Turbin in all facets of being a running back (running, blocking, pass protection, work ethic, study habits, film room, etc. etc. he WOULD be ahead of Turbin. So the reason he's not is because he is indeed not ready to be ahead of Turbin.

This isn't about who's "more fun to watch," this is about who's a more complete back each and every week before Sundays.

Geologic

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1sdmmgb2 said:
Geologic":1sdmmgb2 said:
hawker84":1sdmmgb2 said:

So that's your reasoning? Michael was more fun to watch than Turbin?

Now not sure about you, but my opinion is that Pete Carroll is a VERY good football coach, what with winning multiple national championships and now a Superbowl............and one of the few coaches that means it when he says "win your competition battles, and you'll play."

Therefore logic would dictate that if Michael was better than Turbin in all facets of being a running back (running, blocking, pass protection, work ethic, study habits, film room, etc. etc. he WOULD be ahead of Turbin. So the reason he's not is because he is indeed not ready to be ahead of Turbin.

This isn't about who's "more fun to watch," this is about who's a more complete back each and every week before Sundays.

I'm not saying that Michael is better then Turbin right now but you have to admit that Michael is a better runner then Turbin. If Michael can fix his pass protection issues and work on all faucets of being a running back then he will be the handcuff for Lynch. This is nothing against Turbin, he's a great change of pace running back.

Watch this preseason video of both Michael and Turbin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsTm2JRooyY

Michael has greater explosive burst speed then Turbin. He also has great vision and reads holes well, which Turbin sometimes has trouble with. Unlike Turbin, once Michael hits the second level he's a force to be reckoned with.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
The number of threads about this guy all season long is just amazing. We won the Super Bowl by 35 pts and he had absolutely NO factor in any meaningful game all year. Excited for his future but let's not waste time questioning the best front office in football about the reasons he didn't play (because you know they are legitimate). If and when we move on from Beastmode, C-Mike and Turbin will make a damn good 1-2 punch as far as I'm concerned

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Geologic":3sx11trv said:
I'm not saying that Michael is better then Turbin right now but you have to admit that Michael is a better runner then Turbin.

We've had this debate on here since Michael was drafted.

Being a RB is more than just being a better runner, it requires all the other things I mentioned in my previous post. Understanding of the offense, pass blocking skills, trust, study habits, understanding of defensive schemes so you're in the right place once the play starts......and probably 20 more things I haven't mentioned.

Bottom Line: If he was a better back than Turbin........a better COMPLETE BACK than Turbin, he would be ahead of him on the depth chart. Period.

Now maybe in the off season Michael gets better at all the things that's holding him back from taking over as our #2 back. But I trust Pete, if the dude's not playing, there's a reason. Or multiple reasons.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
He could have played any game this year if Pete saw something during practice that previous week that lifted his lumber, but obviously that didn't happen often. He was acquired to learn our ways, to learn from the best at their trade. I believe he may get more touches next year.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
sutz":3lymlx93 said:
I can't recall a player getting more love on less production in years and years, maybe ever. :229031_shrug:

Especially right after our, you know, Super Bowl win.

This reminds me of Backup QB Syndrome, in which the man on the bench who is not responsible for losing games must obviously be better than the starter who is. It's a loser's mentality.

Think of Michael as a shiny tool your father has stashed in his workbench. You have no idea how it's supposed to be used or why he's not using it - or if it even works - but your needs are met, the house isn't falling apart, and you really don't need to know.

Be grateful; some fathers don't even have hammers.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
I say this after having moved out of my parents' house a good long time ago, but all analogies break down at some point.

Either way, a potentially good third/fourth/fifth Back is good problem to have.

ManBunts

Reaction score
You've also gotta remember Pete rewards effort. Neither of them is going to pass up Beast Mode. Obviously. Therefore, they're relegated to squabbling over the #2 position, which means minimal carries. So nobody really gets a chance to play that often, therefore screw up. Thus, Turbin is the incumbent and is probably staying at #2 because of that. Not to mention, he run blocks well and has good hands out of the backfield.

But at the end of the day, where was CM during the Super Bowl was the question? On the bench, because it's the Super Bowl. It's not a knock on his talent, but you don't show up at the OK Corral with a brand new pistol you've never used before.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
ManBunts":1igh0qcj said:
but you don't show up at the OK Corral with a brand new pistol you've never used before.

Even so, the barely-used Harvin Winchester took out the black-hats' wagon wheels right nice. :)

600px Hastaquelleg2

Geologic

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ssmrrjj said:
Geologic":2ssmrrjj said:
I'm not saying that Michael is better then Turbin right now but you have to admit that Michael is a better runner then Turbin.

We've had this debate on here since Michael was drafted.

Being a RB is more than just being a better runner, it requires all the other things I mentioned in my previous post. Understanding of the offense, pass blocking skills, trust, study habits, understanding of defensive schemes so you're in the right place once the play starts......and probably 20 more things I haven't mentioned.

Bottom Line: If he was a better back than Turbin........a better COMPLETE BACK than Turbin, he would be ahead of him on the depth chart. Period.

Now maybe in the off season Michael gets better at all the things that's holding him back from taking over as our #2 back. But I trust Pete, if the dude's not playing, there's a reason. Or multiple reasons.

Did you read my post? Better runner does not mean better running back

Geologic

Reaction score
You asked why I thought Michael has higher upside then Turbin. He has higher upside because he's a hands down better runner. he needs to work out the other parts of being a running back and I believe with this coaching staff he will. Hence the "higher upside". Turbin doesn't have the explosive burst nor the ability to read holes on the level as Michael.

HawkWow

Reaction score
IIRC, I think in preseason play, Both Michael and Turbin averaged almost exactly the same YPC. During that very small sample size, we also saw Michael appear to be somewhat tentative behind the LOS. This isn't college and CMike's not Barry Sanders, who early in his career got away with picking the line. With that, I'm unsure how anyone can say CM sees the hole better than Turbin.

CMike came to us with 2 knocks: Tendency to fumble and suspect attitude. Neither apply to Turbin.

Further, it appears after CMike was drafted (?) we learned he can't pass block. Turbin is a good, if not very good blocker. We also hear CMike is a liability on ST.

With the above in mind, I can't understand how anyone can say with certainty that CM is a better back than Turbin. All that aside, if he were, he would have played.

I think one problem is some don't fully understand Turbin's duties. All backs need to establish a rhythm. Turbin never gets that chance. Turbin is asked to move forward while holding onto the ball while ML gets a breather. He does that very well and his YPC would probably rival, or supersede Lynch's if not for the fact someone seems to hold 20% of the time he carries the ball.

I like Turbin and think he is under used. I think that will change this year and I envision a reduced role for Lynch (if still with the team) carrying the ball about 60% of the time, Turbin 25% and Michael 15% until one emerges as clearly better including pass blocking and holding onto the ball.

Latest posts