Where would the Raiders go?

Largent80

Reaction score
Rams belong in LA in my opinion, however, you can't even believe all the Raider stuff I see down here.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RiverDog":3fh1ahvr said:
TeamoftheCentury":3fh1ahvr said:
RiverDog, I think you missed what was actually said about the Orlando Stadium. No one is proposing it would be the new home of the Raiders. The Stadium renovation (really, a re-construction) intends to be a possibility to offer a neutral site location for Pre-Season games only. If you watch Pre-Season, notice the empty stands. The idea of pre-season games in select neutral sites might not be such a bad idea. So, no need to state a case against. I actually posted the whole thing somewhat as a joke. But, they really are renovating (reconstructing) that old stadium for specific purposes. By next year, it will host 3 college bowl games among the expanded use plans. (It was also the stadium used in the filming of "The Water Boy." So, there you go ... it would be futile to suggest it's not up to standards. ;) )

You see a lot of empty seats, but in most cases, those are seats that the team has already fleeced the fans for. Season tickets come with the requirement that they buy those seats for the two home preseason games. It's one of the reasons I dropped my season tickets 20 years ago, because I couldn't give away those preseason game tickets. Selling 60,000 seats at a neutral stadium without the benefit of the season ticket holder's requirement to buy at lest 3/4 of them would be a monumental challenge for any area, let alone the Orlando-Tampa area where there are a thousand places to spend your money other than go watch a glorified football scrimmage.

Sure, I understand about the empty seats and that is certainly a good point. Not intending to make a strong argument for Pre-Season FB in Orlando. So, don't get me wrong. Again, I wasn't being totally serious about it when I presented it in this thread. I was merely reporting that there are stadiums like this that will be equipped to possibly host a neutral site game AND that is a specifically mentioned intended use for the re-construction of the Citrus Bowl stadium. Also, college games. For example, there's been talk of Notre Dame (and others) playing a game here (even though one of the Top College Football teams in the country, Fiesta Bowl Champion University of Central Florida Knights, are here as well. That program is a sleeping giant that has awoken. But, that's another conversation.)

Neutral site games are happening. Why? It's part of a longer term strategy to increase the popularity of the sport. Otherwise, why would they even bother in London, etc.

But... hearing ideas thrown around this area, if it ever become a possibility of this city getting an NFL team (which there is interest), they wouldn't be only pitching this stadium's re-construction. There would be further improvements as part of making that happen.

Too, don't underestimate the popularity of such an event (Pre-Season NFL) in Orlando/Central Florida. All sorts of clever marketing and money-making things could be done. You would be surprised at how many out of towners (actually, many from out of country) come into this city and include an often meaningless Orlando Magic game. I get to see that first hand. Deals get packaged with the other popular options. That might be a strong reason WHY a pre-season game might just work here. If they offer great package deals to visit Orlando (Disney, etc.) and also see your team play an otherwise meaningless Pre-Season game, maybe there are those who would look at it as an excuse to hit the beach, etc. - and "complaining" all the way about it. "Ah man, I gotta travel to Florida to see a Pre-Season game and go to the beach and theme parks for a week. I might as well add a Cruise to that since we're going" sort of thing.

They will "fleece" (if you look at it that way) season ticket holders no matter what. (Personally, if I had season tickets to the Seahawks... I wouldn't be anything but grateful. But, maybe that's just me. If that's one reason you gave up your season tickets 20 years - 2 measly pre-season games, I think that must be one reason you are now regretting that decision.) But, I get it. It's tough for some to stay behind a team when they're not winning.

Anyway... (as far as da Raiders) perhaps the Alcatraz idea gains some momentum. Perhaps Roland is already pitching the idea to investors as I type. ;)

Hope this clarifies to your satisfaction. Again, I understand your points and please realize I wasn't intending to offer a completely serious solution to where the Raiders will end up.

chris98251

Reaction score
Look at it this way, on Alcatraz they could recruit from the nations prisons, pay peanuts and have long term contracts without the worry of FA.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
They should build a stadium in SF, and rename themselves the SF Raiders, like the Warriors are planning to do. That would really stick it to the Santa Clara Niners.

RiverDog

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3ura2e1y said:
Sure, I understand about the empty seats and that is certainly a good point. Not intending to make a strong argument for Pre-Season FB in Orlando. So, don't get me wrong. Again, I wasn't being totally serious about it when I presented it in this thread. I was merely reporting that there are stadiums like this that will be equipped to possibly host a neutral site game AND that is a specifically mentioned intended use for the re-construction of the Citrus Bowl stadium. Also, college games. For example, there's been talk of Notre Dame (and others) playing a game here (even though one of the Top College Football teams in the country, Fiesta Bowl Champion University of Central Florida Knights, are here as well. That program is a sleeping giant that has awoken. But, that's another conversation.)

Neutral site games are happening. Why? It's part of a longer term strategy to increase the popularity of the sport. Otherwise, why would they even bother in London, etc.

But... hearing ideas thrown around this area, if it ever become a possibility of this city getting an NFL team (which there is interest), they wouldn't be only pitching this stadium's re-construction. There would be further improvements as part of making that happen.

Too, don't underestimate the popularity of such an event (Pre-Season NFL) in Orlando/Central Florida. All sorts of clever marketing and money-making things could be done. You would be surprised at how many out of towners (actually, many from out of country) come into this city and include an often meaningless Orlando Magic game. I get to see that first hand. Deals get packaged with the other popular options. That might be a strong reason WHY a pre-season game might just work here. If they offer great package deals to visit Orlando (Disney, etc.) and also see your team play an otherwise meaningless Pre-Season game, maybe there are those who would look at it as an excuse to hit the beach, etc. - and "complaining" all the way about it. "Ah man, I gotta travel to Florida to see a Pre-Season game and go to the beach and theme parks for a week. I might as well add a Cruise to that since we're going" sort of thing.

They will "fleece" (if you look at it that way) season ticket holders no matter what. (Personally, if I had season tickets to the Seahawks... I wouldn't be anything but grateful. But, maybe that's just me. If that's one reason you gave up your season tickets 20 years - 2 measly pre-season games, I think that must be one reason you are now regretting that decision.) But, I get it. It's tough for some to stay behind a team when they're not winning.

Anyway... (as far as da Raiders) perhaps the Alcatraz idea gains some momentum. Perhaps Roland is already pitching the idea to investors as I type. ;)

Hope this clarifies to your satisfaction. Again, I understand your points and please realize I wasn't intending to offer a completely serious solution to where the Raiders will end up.

Neutral site games are happening in London because it's an untapped market. The NFL is already in every major market in the country except LA, so there's no need to advertise the game here in the states.

The NFL did used to hold preseason games in neutral fields, though. The first NFL game I ever saw, well before the Seahawks were born, was in Spokane when the NFL 49'ers played the AFL Denver Broncos. But back then, they had 6 preseason games. Personally, I'd love to see them going back to holding some preseason games at neutral sites, places like Boise and Salt Lake City, areas where it's a hike to get to an NFL city and quit ripping off season ticket holder by charging them full price for those glorified scrimmages.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I love the idea of the Raiders playing on Alcatraz ...No need for parking- make a $killing$ off of ferry boats or helicopters taking people there..It would fund to preserve the main prison for lifetimes..Great idea!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RiverDog":3cr013d0 said:
Neutral site games are happening in London because it's an untapped market. The NFL is already in every major market in the country except LA, so there's no need to advertise the game here in the states.

So, you think there's no point in continuing to promote their product? Sounds like we look at the same mountain from different sides on this topic. Ah well.

But, you haven't yet commented on the pros and cons, challenges, obstacles, benefits, etc. of the Raiders taking up residence on Alcatraz? :snack:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1n2ywnew said:
I love the idea of the Raiders playing on Alcatraz ...No need for parking- make a $killing$ off of ferry boats or helicopters taking people there..It would fund to preserve the main prison for lifetimes..Great idea!

This is gaining steam. Call Donald Trump?

RiverDog

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3rwoimgl said:
RiverDog":3rwoimgl said:

So, you think there's no point in continuing to promote their product? Sounds like we look at the same mountain from different sides on this topic. Ah well.

But, you haven't yet commented on the pros and cons, challenges, obstacles, benefits, etc. of the Raiders taking up residence on Alcatraz? :snack:

Yea, I think the US market is pretty much tapped out. The NFL is already far and away the most popular sport in the nation as far as overall interest goes, at least once they get done pussifying the sport to make it more acceptable to women. There's not much more juice that can be squeezed out of the orange.

As far as the Raiders playing on Alcatraz, I thought they already were playing there.

Subzero717

Reaction score
They should build a stadium in LA and have the SB and national champ game there every year with no team that calls it home.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RiverDog":d2s0cuny said:
TeamoftheCentury":d2s0cuny said:
RiverDog":d2s0cuny said:

Yea, I think the US market is pretty much tapped out. The NFL is already far and away the most popular sport in the nation as far as overall interest goes, at least once they get done -BLEEEEEEP- (you might want to keep it clean, this is a PG forum) the sport to make it more acceptable to women. There's not much more juice that can be squeezed out of the orange.
You didn't actually answer the question I asked. I asked if the NFL will cease to promote their product. I'll answer that for you: No, they will not. I can't imagine you disagree there. The NFL will most certainly continue to cultivate it's fans. That's just good business. That's all I'm saying, man. :Dunno:

As far as the NFL being the most popular sport... yes, I generally agree. Actually, though, it's more precisely American Football - not merely the NFL (though, of course, it's driving the popularity.) Consider for 5 seconds where I live... in one of the 3 states where it is most popular. My sons are heavily involved so it's a big part of our family. So, you don't need to try to convince me. But, in terms of the most popular spectator sport... that's NASCAR. Though they are not necessarily competing for fans, they still continue to cultivate fans of their product no matter how popular it is right now.

RiverDog

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2y7ubl0z said:
RiverDog":2y7ubl0z said:
TeamoftheCentury":2y7ubl0z said:
RiverDog":2y7ubl0z said:

Yea, I think the US market is pretty much tapped out. The NFL is already far and away the most popular sport in the nation as far as overall interest goes, at least once they get done -BLEEEEEEP- (you might want to keep it clean, this is a PG forum) the sport to make it more acceptable to women. There's not much more juice that can be squeezed out of the orange.
You didn't actually answer the question I asked. I asked if the NFL will cease to promote their product. I'll answer that for you: No, they will not. I can't imagine you disagree there. The NFL will most certainly continue to cultivate it's fans. That's just good business. That's all I'm saying, man. :Dunno:

As far as the NFL being the most popular sport... yes, I generally agree. Actually, though, it's more precisely American Football - not merely the NFL (though, of course, it's driving the popularity.) Consider for 5 seconds where I live... in one of the 3 states where it is most popular. My sons are heavily involved so it's a big part of our family. So, you don't need to try to convince me. But, in terms of the most popular spectator sport... that's NASCAR. Though they are not necessarily competing for fans, they still continue to cultivate fans of their product no matter how popular it is right now.

I'm only speaking in terms of money. The NFL outpaces NASCAR, college football, MLB, and everyone else, in terms of revenue vs. expenditures.

The NFL does have a few, limited demographical markets within the US that they have not fully exploited, such as females, Hispanics, and Asians. But as far as the geographical markets go, the markets that determine whether or not the league puts a franchise or not, the US market, except for LA, is pretty much tapped out. In other words, putting a franchise in Portland, OR is not going to result in a wider television market for the league. The people in Portland still watch NFL football whether they have a team or not.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RiverDog":1i899u7c said:
I'm only speaking in terms of money. The NFL outpaces NASCAR, college football, MLB, and everyone else, in terms of revenue vs. expenditures.

The NFL does have a few, limited demographical markets within the US that they have not fully exploited, such as females, Hispanics, and Asians. But as far as the geographical markets go, the markets that determine whether or not the league puts a franchise or not, the US market, except for LA, is pretty much tapped out. In other words, putting a franchise in Portland, OR is not going to result in a wider television market for the league. The people in Portland still watch NFL football whether they have a team or not.

Well, perhaps this back and forth is about tapped out because I don't think anyone else cares to read us talking about not altogether different things (but which seemed to go down an extraneous rabbit trail. And, I think when we start getting pop up notices that we can only have 4 quotations - that's our cue that it's gone far enough.)

RiverDog

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3kagie8s said:
RiverDog":3kagie8s said:

Well, perhaps this back and forth is about tapped out because I don't think anyone else cares to read us talking about not altogether different things (but which seemed to go down an extraneous rabbit trail. And, I think when we start getting pop up notices that we can only have 4 quotations - that's our cue that it's gone far enough.)

LOL!

But it's the offseason. What else are we going to talk about?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ud6c30b said:
TeamoftheCentury":2ud6c30b said:
Could they re-construct Alcatraz into a Football Venue?
Not to derail making fun of 'em, but I think having an NFL stadium on Alcatraz would actually be pretty damned awesome.

It would look cool....but talk about a parking nightmare....

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":115oek1m said:
They should build a stadium in SF, and rename themselves the SF Raiders, like the Warriors are planning to do. That would really stick it to the Santa Clara Niners.

LOL.

Well...

1) Raider fans would be killing in the streets.
2) Niner fans would be mildy annoyed.
3) The Warriors were in SF to begin with and are the Bay Areas ONLY Basketball team. Raiders and Niners fans hate each other. Giants and A's fans hate each other. We all kinda unite tho on the Warriors and Sharks. There is a reason they never became the Oakland Warriors and were called Golden State.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
I think if we wait long enough there will be enough sewage backup in O.Co to flush the Raiders and that stadium into the Oakland Bay.

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawknation2014":31p28wab said:
USC has a deal in place to renovate the Coliseum with $150 million. Their AD recently floated the idea of charging $4,000 per seat to each season-ticket holder to help pay for the renovations.
That PSL idea was a question in a survey sent out to season ticket holders. As far as I can tell, it went over like a lead balloon.