Who will be starter material from the ''UDFA''?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
JMR":u8yqp3e9 said:
TeamoftheCentury":u8yqp3e9 said:
(And yet... they didn't just cut him on the spot there Friday, now did they? :hmmmm: ) So, no player in the history of the NFL has ever dropped a pass only to show their true colors when it matters most? Come on, I can do this all day.
well, good for you....and you should certainly feel good about yourself for it. I was merely stating an observation from Friday. Jeezus.
Well, how about "good for Allen?" Not trying to be smug. Just seems like you're making a bigger deal out of a rookie dropping a couple of passes vs. recognizing how he is impressing.

Didn't Luke Willson drop an "easy" pass in the Super Bowl only to catch the very next pass? They went right back to him. That seems to be how this coaching staff rolls. They don't just dump a guy if he makes a mistake or two. They consider the evaluations and give them a legitimate opportunity to prove they can perform. If Allen just has brick hands and can't hold onto the ball... I'm sure he will be gone. But, in the meantime... I'm rooting for the kid from Cleveland, OH and Southern U. He looks the part and might just be a steal. Don't count him out just yet.

Go Hawks

two dog

Reaction score
I doubt you could sneak Jackson Jeffcoat through waivers to the practice squad. There are some defense
needy teams out there. I don't know if he's fast enough to be a stand-up linebacker in a 3-4 but at least
one team we know uses a LEO rush end.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":9e9nnrcc said:
None of them will make it.
Hmmm... TE Rashaun Allen keeps sticking around. Wouldn't that be something if he turned out to be (one of) the prize TE of the rookie class... acquired as an UDFA?

In addition to getting Marsh under contract, the Seahawks announced the signings of two undrafted free agents Monday: Southern tight end Rashaun Allen and North Carolina A&T offensive guard Nate Isles. Both took part in the Seahawks’ rookie minicamp last weekend. In other roster moves Monday, the Seahawks released veteran tight end Travis Beckum and undrafted cornerback Jimmy Legree. Beckum played for the Giants from 2009 through 2012.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93114

I know he's got competition with McCoy and Willson. I'm telling you, watch this guy. I think he just may be endearing himself to the Hawks (and fans) this summer and make it very tough to cut him. I'm interested to follow this situation and see where it leads.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
More on TE Rashaun Allen (with links / authorship provided, of course):

Allen, a 6-4, 250-pound tight end from Southern University, was impressive throughout the three days of the rookie mini-camp, and obviously enough so to make the Seahawks want to get a longer look at him in training camp.
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... okie-deal/

Allen is a guy that beat reporters had mentioned several times over the weekend (and a guy that I conveniently did not include in my post this morning about Mini-Camp standouts (though he was featured in several reports as a guy that impressed).

Allen, out of Southern University, is 6'5, 250 pounds, and ran the 40 in 4.68 seconds at his pro day. To go with that, he had a 4.52 second short shuttle, a 7.35 3-cone, put up 24 reps on bench, and broad jumped 9'7". Most impressively, he registered a 38" vertical jump, matching the number that Luke Willson put up last year.

Per our pSPARQ metrics, Allen actually comes in with very similar athleticism scores to Eric Ebron, interestingly enough. While no one would make that comparison -- Allen only had 9 catches for Southern in 2013 -- it speaks to the way the Seahawks likely see him, as an underrated and athletic mover that they can potentially develop.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-offseason ... vis-beckum

Mick063

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if TE Rashaun Allen not only makes the active roster, but gets in on more than just special teams in the regular season as well.

He is this season's "Kearse/Baldwin-like" UDFA surprise IMO. McCoy is in danger because of economics. He will be due the veteran minimum soon enough and Allen comes in cheaper over the long haul and appears to have more upside as a receiving type Tight End.