Who will our back up be?

12forlife

Reaction score
If we are willing to use one of our 5th rd picks on a backup, I like the looks of what Nic Shimonek Texas Tech has to offer. Sounds like he also had a strong week at the Senior Bowl. Also has more ideal size, appears to be able to escape pressure, can throw on the run, and keeps his head up. Could be a solid backup behind Russell.

Greenhell

Reaction score
kidhawk":ulpnofgn said:
Greenhell":ulpnofgn said:
kidhawk":ulpnofgn said:
Greenhell":ulpnofgn said:
UGH! NO!!! Dude has no presence and no confidence on the field anymore. :pukeface:

As long as whomever they bring in isn't given a large guarantee, I'm open for bringing in anyone (well anyone who isn't likely to be more trouble than they're worth) to the camps and see how they do. We have plenty of time to decide on who will best suit the team as the in season back up. Right now we just need to get bodies in between now and the first mini camp and see what fits.

I agree with bodies in camp and if brought in, I hope he's the first cut.

It's merely philosophical, but we do differ here. If someone is brought in, I hope they are successful here. That success that I want to see comes in the form of on the field (even the sideline for a backup) and off the field, in their personal lives. If they bring in a quarterback (as that's the position we are discussing here) that I don't believe in, I won't be hoping he is cut soon, I'll hope he somehow shows that he can fit into our offense and play good football. That won't always be the case, and I'll shed no tears for those cut whom I didn't really believe in to begin with, but I won't hope for them to be so bad as to get cut quickly. It's just not in my fandom DNA. Obviously we all aren't the same, so don't take this as your thoughts on the matter being wrong. I just wanted to explain where our difference appears to lie on this type of acquisition.

Gotcha! :2thumbs:

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Draft or sign an UDFA rookie QB and do not sign a retread (If they were good they wouldn't be available) = best option at this time. IMO.
:smilingalien:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":5y027e7y said:
Draft or sign an UDFA rookie QB and do not sign a retread (If they were good they wouldn't be available) = best option at this time. IMO.
:smilingalien:

Going to sign both.

Can't go into any season with a project QB as your backup. Gotta be either a high draft pick QB, or a solid journeyman backup.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Seymour":2vk3mdom said:
chris98251":2vk3mdom said:
Well Sanchez would sort of correct the draft pick issue with everyone wanting him instead of Curry :)

At least Sanchez stuck around long enough to become a household name.

Sanchez callofbooty tabs
One thing about Mark, he played his best ball with Pete as his college coach and did at least OK his first two years with Schotty as his Jets OC. No idea if he’d be a good backup here or not, but Pete does know how to manage him pretty well.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/980613913300500480[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/eric_d_williams/status/980613129842421760[/tweet]

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ogkwvm0 said:
I don't think they will, but the Seahawks have every reason in the world to sign Kaepernick as a backup.

[ and then some well-stated, very valid points - go back and read them ]
I completely understand where you are coming from. However, I am also in the camp that says Kaep is a poor-man's Wilson, but comes at a premium price. I believe if Wilson goes down, it's "game over" for however many games he's out, which likely means "game over" for the playoffs aka the season.

To me it is not worth any semblance of a high price to sign Kaep only to have him sit around doing nothing. He's never going to replace Wilson or even seriously compete for the position.

While he is a poor-man's Wilson, mobile QBs coming out of college are dime-a-dozen, and come without the baggage.

When assessing the best man for the position, I think it's quite relevant to consider value-over-replacement, and I don't see Kaep having a VOR commensurate with the likely dollars-over-replacement. I say likely because his previous salary demands were out of line with his talent and inappropriate for a backup QB.

Now, it's entirely possible that I am wrong. Maybe our OL will be sufficiently improved that our QB will not be constantly forced to throw on the run. Maybe our OC can successfully implement screens and called QB runs to slow down the pass rush. Maybe our defense will be good enough that we could have a non-Wilson QB in for a game or two without writing them off as losses.

To me, all of those things would have to happen to make Kaep make sense. Otherwise, we're better off using the backup QB budget to help make those things happen.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I think that Kap would be a good backup at a right price. If he wants more than we can offer, then I would prefer to see a QB picked up out of the draft, like Josh Allen, if John Schnieder, the Radar O'Reilly of the NFL, decides he would be a game changer for us in the event Russell did get sidelined.

crosfam

Reaction score
crosfam":1ai4dbta said:
Colin Kaepernick should be the back-up. We should hold off on drafting a QB. We need to be ready in case Russ goes down.

RFA for the PS - Chris Streveler, South Dakota. I saw him play last year.

Cheap alternative - I always though Geno Smith had something, just not sure what.

I called it (and no relation) This kid was great in his second start in the CFL. I hope our 7th round pick out of FIU has some moxy too.

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/wi ... e05d1b70f4

Atradees

Reaction score
McGough............hearing good things about him. Strong arm. 6'2"............makes Madlib plays.......

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lmadee4b said:
Cyrus12":lmadee4b said:
Maybe Manziel gets a chance??

After the last 2-3 years of drama? No way in hell we sign a backup QB that's going to bring even an ounce of drama to the team, that includes Manziel or Kaepernick.

Go get a late round QB that you think you can develop, and then go sign a cheap Davis type backup for 1M or less.
He can be the back up QB, and team coke dealer. Great way to make things more efficient in the Seahawks locker room.