Who will our back up be?

Greenhell

Reaction score
kidhawk":2a149zkw said:
Greenhell":2a149zkw said:
KitsapGuy":2a149zkw said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/978837336405487616[/tweet]

UGH! NO!!! Dude has no presence and no confidence on the field anymore. :pukeface:

As long as whomever they bring in isn't given a large guarantee, I'm open for bringing in anyone (well anyone who isn't likely to be more trouble than they're worth) to the camps and see how they do. We have plenty of time to decide on who will best suit the team as the in season back up. Right now we just need to get bodies in between now and the first mini camp and see what fits.

I agree with bodies in camp and if brought in, I hope he's the first cut.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":3gnhjtwa said:
kidhawk":3gnhjtwa said:
Greenhell":3gnhjtwa said:
KitsapGuy":3gnhjtwa said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/978837336405487616[/tweet]

UGH! NO!!! Dude has no presence and no confidence on the field anymore. :pukeface:

As long as whomever they bring in isn't given a large guarantee, I'm open for bringing in anyone (well anyone who isn't likely to be more trouble than they're worth) to the camps and see how they do. We have plenty of time to decide on who will best suit the team as the in season back up. Right now we just need to get bodies in between now and the first mini camp and see what fits.

I agree with bodies in camp and if brought in, I hope he's the first cut.

It's merely philosophical, but we do differ here. If someone is brought in, I hope they are successful here. That success that I want to see comes in the form of on the field (even the sideline for a backup) and off the field, in their personal lives. If they bring in a quarterback (as that's the position we are discussing here) that I don't believe in, I won't be hoping he is cut soon, I'll hope he somehow shows that he can fit into our offense and play good football. That won't always be the case, and I'll shed no tears for those cut whom I didn't really believe in to begin with, but I won't hope for them to be so bad as to get cut quickly. It's just not in my fandom DNA. Obviously we all aren't the same, so don't take this as your thoughts on the matter being wrong. I just wanted to explain where our difference appears to lie on this type of acquisition.

toffee

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2kfl48nb said:
I think an interesting tidbit that is being forgotten is that fact that PC/JS wanted to "light a fire" under Russell, part of the reason they hired Schotty. I think a Kaepernick signing AND a QB drafted Round 5 or higher would give RW enough of a pause to kick up his game a bit. Also the Hawks might try some interesting things in the next year or 2 considering RW negotiations are coming up, and seeing how ridiculous QB contracts have gotten. They are going to want some sort of leverage. (Not that Kaep is any sort of leverage, just saying they might try some "interesting" things to improve competition/not sign RW a blank check)

I have no idea if Kaep would bring to much of a Circus to town, but I trust PC/JS on evaluating that.

this

pcbball12

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1ehofo6v said:
I think an interesting tidbit that is being forgotten is that fact that PC/JS wanted to "light a fire" under Russell, part of the reason they hired Schotty. I think a Kaepernick signing AND a QB drafted Round 5 or higher would give RW enough of a pause to kick up his game a bit. Also the Hawks might try some interesting things in the next year or 2 considering RW negotiations are coming up, and seeing how ridiculous QB contracts have gotten. They are going to want some sort of leverage. (Not that Kaep is any sort of leverage, just saying they might try some "interesting" things to improve competition/not sign RW a blank check)

I have no idea if Kaep would bring to much of a Circus to town, but I trust PC/JS on evaluating that.
Which they have already done. They’ve had 2 years to bring him in as a backup and haven’t done so yet. Why is the release of Boykin all of a sudden what triggers this move? Boykin didn’t even make the 53 last year and was only signed to a futures co tract this year. He was a long shot to be our backup anyways. So releasing him changes what exactly that hasn’t been the case the last 2 years?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
pcbball12":30eio1vs said:
bbsplitter":30eio1vs said:

Which they have already done. They’ve had 2 years to bring him in as a backup and haven’t done so yet. Why is the release of Boykin all of a sudden what triggers this move? Boykin didn’t even make the 53 last year and was only signed to a futures co tract this year. He was a long shot to be our backup anyways. So releasing him changes what exactly that hasn’t been the case the last 2 years?

Richard Sherman is gone. Earl Thomas is in trade talks. Bennett was traded. All of the sudden signing Kaepernick, would be the least surprising out of all the changes that the Hawks have been making.

I agree with you that they have had 2 years to do so, but we are seeing a lot of change this year, and I don't think we should immediately dismiss a possible signing just because they didn't do it the past 2 years. The time might be right, or he might be too big of a distraction and they don't do it, but I am not dismissing the possibility.

edogg23

Reaction score
Kaepernick on a min deal is a no brainer to me.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Tusc2000":14rmkamz said:
The biggest issue with Kaep is whether he would accept backup money to play here. My guess is that he would at this point, given that no other team is likely to offer him squat because he is controversial.

TBF he already took a workout with Seattle last off season for what was clearly a backup role, so him not being willing to be backup is a non-issue, IMO.

StaffAmerica74":14rmkamz said:
hes not the type to be content to be a backup.

On what is this based? He spent half a year as Gabbert's backup and from all accounts (including Gabbert's) he was very helpful in that role.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sealake80":rk595pvd said:
I am dismissing the possibility.

yeah me too.

The Seahawks have clearly made it a point to rid themselves of distractions as they try and build a team that looks more for the future than the present.

While i have no issue with Kaep... he still brings a distraction. I dont see the Hawks wanting to invest in that at this time.

It's also a potential conflict with Wilson as well, regardless of how Kaep did with Gabbert. He may be the best assistant to the starting QB there is... there's still always the potential for conflict if RW was to struggle (which seems likely)

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hz3udod said:
Tusc2000":2hz3udod said:
StaffAmerica74":2hz3udod said:
You dont sign a guy like kaep he would bring all the cameras and hes not the type to be content to be a backup.

So what? Everyone in the organization knows Russ is the QB. Let the talking heads talk. It means nothing.

Because having that ever present drama sitting on the bench all season having reporters constantly asking him drama questions isn't worth it for a backup QB.

This is a team that's making a concerted effort to get rid of players that are causing drama, not bringing them in.

Exactly. I don't understand why some here just don't get that this type of distraction is being cleared out for a big reason. It's about team, and playing for your brother, not individual agenda's anymore.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":dvalo6y3 said:
toffee":dvalo6y3 said:
Chapow":dvalo6y3 said:
vigilantgrrl":dvalo6y3 said:
How about someone who can actually compete with and/or push Wilson?

Such as?

Kaepernick! Hoping our ownership will grow a pair and sign him.
Why would the release of Boykin all of a sudden cause our front office to sign Kaep? As if Boykin was a lock as our backup so there was no point to sign a legit option? If Kaep wasn’t an option before the release of Boykin, the release of him is not going to suddenly change that. Isn’t Paul Allen one of the owners in the lawsuit brought on by Kaep? He will never be a Seahawk if that is the case.

When Boykin first got in trouble years ago, I asked, "Why not Kaep?" Kaep had decent stats even with the 49ers' terrible performance in 2014 through 2016. More important, he knew the SEA playbook. What UFA options are exactly better?

Most backups aren't starter quality. Most play an occasional snap here or there. Why wouldn't he be worth a camp body?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The money was everything with Kaep.

Probably still is as he thinks he's worth more than the league thinks he is.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, it's very telling that not ONE team gave him a chance all of last season. And hasn't yet this off season.

Seymour

Reaction score
Amazing how much hand wringing there is over a position that hasn't needed to take meaningful snap in 6 years. This should be somewhere around #28 most important position so fill IMO.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
To hell with Craporpick. I will try to not make this political, just trying to list the facts.

Here is why he is not already employed:

*MOD EDIT* *EVERY REASON WAS POLITICAL*

I apologize to the mods if this is too political. Again, I just tried to state the facts without taking a side other than to say "Hell NO!" to signing him.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
After we sign someone, new thread: “is X a top 5 back up qb, as of now?”

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Sanchez would sort of correct the draft pick issue with everyone wanting him instead of Curry :)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3rrj4ets said:
It's not gonna' happen so.........

Yet we will continue to discuss it ad nauseam for six more pages.

Latest posts